2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

13 hours ago, Rygi13 said:

What is this pearl-clutching nonsense? The edge of the red line is still visible!

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Hopefully Seattle joins Utah and Vegas , brings their Kraken eye out from underneath the red line.  If we're cool with it now, a lot of teams could benefit from a move like this at center ice.

On 8/12/2024 at 12:09 PM, spartacat_12 said:

They also gave us our first look at the socks in this graphic they posted. They'll be matching the sleeve striping from the jerseys.

This reveal just makes the mismatching hem stripes on their jerseys bother me even more.

• Like 1

KtHjnlJ.png

18 hours ago, MEANS said:

Sure baby Blue sticks out but I'd save it for when the Identity is completed and revealed. Plus getting baby blue stock in tees will be more difficult than other more common colors such as Black and White, and then you could have too much stock of baby blue tees with a place holder logo.

It seems like they have a pretty good mix of black & blue merch. Considering the colours aren't changing some of the merch won't age too badly. My guess is that the wordmarks will stay somewhat the same once they switch to the permanent branding anyway.

16 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Re: centre ice logos and the red line, this is what the Ducks put in at their practice rink which might be what's also at the Honda Center. I do really wish that they would go back to the double logos and it would be kind of dumb for them to use the eye so prominently in the lead up to the reveal and then cover it up at centre ice.

7ZXaW7XRDHp85FYw_FZ2NLKAhPXwySPO-mpoaCke

Side note, looking at all the usage of the old logo in this photo, I do wonder what the "hidden" costs of a rebrand are. Things like signage, outreach efforts (the Jr. Ducks, Lady Ducks and High School league logos), etc.

I'd probably say it's in the millions of dollars. I know when we had a luncheon a couple of years ago with Luc Robitaille, he mentioned when you rebrand you need to think of things such as what you mentioned, but also around the offices and how many places the logos are and stuff like stationary, business cards, jackets for employees, etc.

On 8/12/2024 at 12:09 PM, spartacat_12 said:

Utah released their inaugural season logo and it seems like that's what will be used at centre ice this season. This picture is from the practice rink, but I think it's safe to assume the Delta Center will have a similar design. The state outline inside the red line is a nice touch.

spacer.png

How will the refs be able to make red-line calls when you can't see it through the logo?  Is that new?  For a game that moves as fast as hockey, that seems like a bad idea (though since they got rid of the 2-line pass (right?)  is the red line really useful for anything other than icing anymore?)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I hope this isn't off topic but, I've been curious about this idea for a while. The thought of the Maple Leaf's bringing back the double stripe on the bottom of the jerseys ( go easy on my photoshop lol )? I also fixed the collar cus i hate that toilet seat collar lol

thmgBUJ.png

• Like 15

4kv29i.jpg

19 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

It seems like they have a pretty good mix of black & blue merch. Considering the colours aren't changing some of the merch won't age too badly.

I've been out of the loop during the summer months, but has there been confirmation that the team will retain these colours once they get the full brand?

Last I heard was the suggestion that the team would adopt something similar to the Utah Jazz alt jerseys, with the blue and purple shades, which I think would look nice. I don't mind this current Utah Hockey Club colours, they aren't terrible on their own, I just find they don't really... pop.

27 minutes ago, Ricky_Roby said:

I've been out of the loop during the summer months, but has there been confirmation that the team will retain these colours once they get the full brand?

Last I heard was the suggestion that the team would adopt something similar to the Utah Jazz alt jerseys, with the blue and purple shades, which I think would look nice. I don't mind this current Utah Hockey Club colours, they aren't terrible on their own, I just find they don't really... pop.

Yes, when the team unveiled the temporary logos & uniforms they confirmed that these colours will be permanent. Smith has said that he wants there to be some overlap between the Jazz & HC brands, but doesn't want them to look identical. The Jazz rebrand also includes black & sky blue, so that would track with what he said.

1 hour ago, Ricky_Roby said:

Yeah, I don't hate the colors ... my problem is why blue? There are so many blue clad clubs in the NHL. Purple would have been a better choice IMO.

• Like 3

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

14 hours ago, Davey said:

I hope this isn't off topic but, I've been curious about this idea for a while. The thought of the Maple Leaf's bringing back the double stripe on the bottom of the jerseys ( go easy on my photoshop lol )? I also fixed the collar cus i hate that toilet seat collar lol

thmgBUJ.png

Exactly what they should have done in 2016.  The double stripe is distinctive, looks good and has historical significance.  The hem treatment they have now is beyond bland and makes them look even more like Tampa Bay. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kolob said:

Yeah, I don't hate the colors ... my problem is why blue? There are so many blue clad clubs in the NHL. Purple would have been a better choice IMO.

Yeah, that's a shame. The colours aren't bad, they just feel more like... an AHL team? It's hard to explain... they kind of just look too much like the Jets to me, but with black. It's just not a very interesting colour combo, especially compared with how beautiful the two most recent additions - Vegas and Seattle - have been on the ice. Those colours can turn heads.

If you organize the logos by teams, alphabetically, only 1 out of the last 10 teams doesn't have primarily blue as the main logo colour (if you count the Sharks' teal as a sort of blue/green). SJ, Seattle, St Louis, TB, Toronto, Utah, Vancouver, Washington, Winnipeg... Like, that's a lot of blue. 

• Like 2

Alphabetical order is a weird way to gauge the overuse of blue.

I think the Utah light blue is too washed out against the black and it feels stark and lifeless. It feels like the bland equivalent of a polo shirt and khakis. Maybe when the identity is announced, they'll spruce things up a bit with a more vivid color and adjust the balanc.

I think it's important to remember that Ryan Smith's aesthetic preferences are the dreckiest of the pinhead techbro minimalism mindset. He probably unironically thinks that having a hockey team wear black is innovative, cool, or subversive or some other buzzword.
He probably hired Doubleday not because of their Milwaukee Bucks brand, but their original Chicago Fire brand instead.
I keep hoping a flash of brown or purple can make it into the final brand, but I know better than that.
I'll eat my hat if they add another color and the new logo isn't a roundel.

• Like 1

spacer.png

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

4 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

I think it's important to remember that Ryan Smith's aesthetic preferences are the dreckiest of the pinhead techbro minimalism mindset. He probably unironically thinks that having a hockey team wear black is innovative, cool, or subversive or some other buzzword.
He probably hired Doubleday not because of their Milwaukee Bucks brand, but their original Chicago Fire brand instead.
I keep hoping a flash of brown or purple can make it into the final brand, but I know better than that.
I'll eat my hat if they add another color and the new logo isn't a roundel.

No no no, he chose black to match is Just for Men dyed jet black hair 

spacer.png

• LOL 1

On 8/14/2024 at 10:35 PM, Davey said:

thmgBUJ.png

This looks way better than what they have now. At least now there'd be a way to distinguish Toronto and Tampa Bay

• Like 2

1967-70 was the best the Leafs have ever looked.  I prefer them with this logo, but you could put the current logo on this sweater and it would still look great.  The extra-stripey socks are a must though.

42VaN4c.png

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Klondyke said:

No no no, he chose black to match is Just for Men dyed jet black hair 

spacer.png

Dude should have chosen a shade of copper to go with the black, so the carpet is represented along with the curtains.