2024 NFL Changes

8 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

I did the same.  Excellent content.  And I'm going to post a few things from the 1st interview he did with Tom Andrich, because I believe that article is not behind the paywall.

The first one is something that, as soon as I saw it, I said..."oh no".  This was one of multiple rough ideas Tom presented when the NFL came back to Nike a year after Nike nearly sabotaged the relationship by making a huge City Connect-type presentation to NFL execs.  The NFL was not at all happy about the City Connect gimmick, but wanted to spike sales so they asked Nike for ideas.  This ultimately led to Color Rush.

759e57be-a651-4e55-931e-adba0d58120d_149

If we see snow-capped mountain sleeves on new Denver uniforms in a few weeks, perhaps this is where the idea was born.

People have been making concepts with “snow capped mountain sleeves” on the Broncos forever, and the Broncos have always leaned into mountain imagery in other places like their stadium. If there are mountains on the sleeves, I don’t think it’s fair to blame it on one single thing.

• Like 4

One of the most fascinating parts of the Uni-Watch Tom Andrich interviews are his comments on helmets.  Nike had nothing to do with them after 2012.  The NFL took helmet design away from them and kept it in-house with the teams and league.  

Not running to Nike's defense, but we pinned a decade's worth of bad helmet designs - Jags, Bucs, Browns, Titans, Commanders, Falcons, Jets, alternates for the Saints and many others - on the Swoosh, when in fact it was the teams and league who had final say.   

Andrich says it was incredibly frustrating as they could not create a whole head-down design, only uniforms.  The teams came up with what they wanted the helmet to be and sent them to Nike and Nike had to work with it.

• Like 12

Also, for anyone who has wanted a Tan or Sand primary or alternate for a team, they pitched one for the Browns and it was beautiful:

efe956f9-e833-4ef7-be3f-db2e54e375c7_264

Perhaps not right for the Browns, but swap out the Orange for Arizona's Cardinal Red, and that could've been a strong and unique look that made sense for that particular franchise.

Another fun note on that:  they pitched the 49ers on an all-Gold uniform, but since the 49ers' Gold is so drab on the new matte fabrics, it didn't look great.  That's why they pivoted to the Black Color Rush uni.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 4

6 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Guy who worked for nike says nothing is nike's fault

Did you read it?

• Like 9

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, BBTV said:

nike can’t control how people wear things. 

As I and others have said for years, the teams look exactly like how they want to look. 

This might become a chicken or egg question...but the no white bottoms were a direct result from the color rush initiative.

Was color rush a Nike or an NFL idea?

1 hour ago, HOOVER said:

Not running to Nike's defense, but we pinned a decade's worth of bad helmet designs - Jags, Bucs, Browns, Titans, Commanders, Falcons, Jets, alternates for the Saints and many others - on the Swoosh, when in fact it was the teams and league who had final say.

Honestly, this is more on people on the site not listening/reading because we've known for nearly a decade now that Nike doesn't do the helmets, the league does.

Every single jersey unveil has had the same type of exchange where someone says 'Oh nike's pushing ______ feature" and someone points out that the league designs helmets without Nike's input.

It's similar to how the five year rule gets brought up for every US sports league even though it's only the NFL that has the rule.

• Like 9

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

3 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

This might become a chicken or egg question...but the no white bottoms were a direct result from the color rush initiative.

Was color rush a Nike or an NFL idea?

Based on the previous posts, I believe it was the NFL. But I could see Nike suggesting it. Either way, the NFL had final say on the program. But now solid color socks are permitted in the NFL rulebook. The catch is that all players are required to wear their socks the same style and color. Having only one color instead of half and half would be easier for all parties involved.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

Based on the previous posts, I believe it was the NFL. But I could see Nike suggesting it. Either way, the NFL had final say on the program. But now solid color socks are permitted in the NFL rulebook. The catch is that all players are required to wear their socks the same style and color. Having only one color instead of half and half would be easier for all parties involved.

All players are required to wear their socks the same style and color?! Can somebody explain the 49ers, Cowboys, et al.?

• Applause 1

I'm glad none of those concepts from Nike turned real. That old Nike template was wayyyy too busy, with way too many seams and panels sewn together. Honestly, in hindsight, nothing looks good on it. Even the Ravens uniforms looked worse while they retained that template for as long as they did. 

• Like 6
  • Meh 1

20 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Also, for anyone who has wanted a Tan or Sand primary or alternate for a team, they pitched one for the Browns and it was beautiful:

efe956f9-e833-4ef7-be3f-db2e54e375c7_264

Perhaps not right for the Browns, but swap out the Orange for Arizona's Cardinal Red, and that could've been a strong and unique look that made sense for that particular franchise.

Another fun note on that:  they pitched the 49ers on an all-Gold uniform, but since the 49ers' Gold is so drab on the new matte fabrics, it didn't look great.  That's why they pivoted to the Black Color Rush uni.

I'm glad the Browns didn't go with the tan design. It's like trying to put two different shades of brown together and it doesn't work. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm glad the Browns didn't go with the tan design. It's like trying to put two different shades of brown together and it doesn't work. 

Agree.  Tom said he was big on the Texas Orange version, which also would have been a debacle.  To your point, Tan just doesn't fit with Cleveland.

I do still think Tan or Sand would make perfect sense for Arizona down the line, or maybe Jacksonville, if they wanted to lean into a Jax Beach theme (I can hear your collective groans, but I can totally see Tony Khan being for this).   :censored:, I shouldn't have put that out into the universe.  That'll be their City Connect uniform for sure in 2030.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I don’t think it would work for the Browns, but it works well for the Padres. 

Also: lighten up that sand color juuuuuust a pinch and it would be perfect for the Arizona Cardinals, just as @HOOVER mentioned. Crimson and cream is a combo that somebody needs to lean into (and, no, the OU Sooners’ anthracite basketball jerseys with crimson letters and cream numbers don’t count). 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

The Browns have made it official with the white facemasks. The erasure of the 2015 elements of the Browns uniforms is now complete.

Sources: Cleveland Browns Returning To White Facemasks, Unveiling Updated Logo On April 17 – SportsLogos.Net News

Well, good. Now they need to actually make the orange pants be a mainstay as well as the white helmets with the 1946's uniforms since they wore white helmets from 1946-1950.

Fixing the primary helmet is all the more reason not to wear a different one. Keep the emphasis on the helmet that acts as their logo.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

54 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

The Browns have made it official with the white facemasks. The erasure of the 2015 elements of the Browns uniforms is now complete.

Sources: Cleveland Browns Returning To White Facemasks, Unveiling Updated Logo On April 17 – SportsLogos.Net News

Aren’t they still wearing their 2015 orange shade and wordmarks? If so, the erasure isn’t complete yet.