2024 NFL Changes

8 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

I’m totally fine with three helmets. It also makes me slightly less worried about what the Broncos are apparently going to do. 

Watch those reddit rumors be correct but for only the alternate jersey and third helmet.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

This is the slippery slope I feared when it came to the allowing for alternate helmets. Two helmets was pushing it, but it allowed for fun throwback designs like the Bucs and Seahawks. But a third helmet design feels unnecessary for pretty much every team. At this point, they might as well allow teams to have as many helmets as they want, like it's college (not that I would endorse that).

I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore traditionalist by any stretch, but the one-helmet-rule was a nice limitation that kept brands intact for the limited 17-game season and elevated helmets to a central component of the brand. Now, I can't think of any team with two helmets that would benefit from a third one.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore traditionalist by any stretch, but the one-helmet-rule was a nice limitation that kept brands intact for the limited 17-game season and elevated helmets to a central component of the brand. Now, I can't think of any team with two helmets that would benefit from a third one.

Easy, Cleveland.

3 different shades of orange and 3 different facemask colours, so everyone here is satisfied and can shut up.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

9 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

I....don't hate it?

Yeah by no means should this be the main helmet, but this is about as good as a gradient helmet could get and wouldn't be the worst thing for a team like Arizona's alternate uniforms. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

They claimed this was a gradient, but it always just looked like it hard transitioned from black to gold

There's so much wrong with that helmet. Black and gold don't fade into each other well at all. Not only was it not a gradient, but they used matte paint on the front and glossy on the back. On top of that they claimed that the Jaguar was coming out of the shadows. Yet he's going from a light background into dark. 

Gradients on helmets can work in some applications. But the Jaguars helmet was one of the worst design decisions in NFL history. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 2

14 hours ago, MDGP said:

Watch those reddit rumors be correct but for only the alternate jersey and third helmet.

That would really be best case scenario and I would be perfectly fine with that. I am fine with a traditional classy home/away set with a slightly more modern alternate design. And if the Broncos roll out a traditional home and away paired with an alternate of white helmet/orange mountain jersey, that would be okay in my book.

41 minutes ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

The problem with gradient helmets is the execution… 

spacer.png

I think this was the intent.  They just completely botched the on-field ones and didn't care enough to fix it (or were prevented by rules.)

Screen-shot-2013-04-23-at-14.47.16-.png

• Like 7

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

A couple things to consider for those afraid of the NFL being turned into Oregon. First, imagine coming up with and producing 17 uniforms for 32 teams with 53 players each. That would cost a ton, even by Nike or NFL standards.

Second, the NFL could have a policy similar to MLB's 4+City Connect for uniforms. It may not be official, but there's practicality to it.

Finally, the jersey is one of the first things used to identify teams, if not the first. A different design every week would kill that. We know Oregon because that's the only team to use weekly uniforms.

The mix and match potential could get ugly, but there is a limit to what the NFL and Nike can do.

Everyone on the internet nowadays wants to be right and say "I told you so!"

Back in 2012 everyone was convinced that Nike was going to turn the NFL into Oregon. That idea was even more prominent here, especially among traditionalists. 

Every year since, people post about the "slippery slope" and "Here we go! It's happening now!"

But after almost 12 years, no NFL team has reached the Oregon level. No NFL team is randomly adding colors like volt green into their uniforms. No team has "city connect" uniforms. No team is wearing a different helmet every week. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’d welcome an inverted version of this Cowboys helmet. White star and stripes, navy blue base.

spacer.png

Dallas alt helmet idea: a royal blue star outlined in black, with navy blue stripes, and a helmet shell that has a gradient from seafoam green to true silver. Just make everyone's heads on this board completely explode 🤣

I like your idea though. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

32 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I think this was the intent.  They just completely botched the on-field ones and didn't care enough to fix it (or were prevented by rules.)

Screen-shot-2013-04-23-at-14.47.16-.png

I feel like this uniform's greatest magic trick was that the gradient helmet was so bad, discussion about the absolutely nonsensical plastic material on the shoulders went by the wayside. WHAT WAS GOING ON WITH THESE?!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

From UniWatch:

Lions president Rod Wood says that the team’s forthcoming new unis will be “one of the great uniforms” in the NFL.

Pretty sure that's what reps from the Bills said in 2002...

...and the Jaguars in 2013

...and the Buccaneers in 2014

...and the Browns in 2015

...and the Titans in 2018

...and the Jets in 2019

...and the Falcons in 2020

...and the Commies in 2022

...and the Cardinals in 2023

🤮

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • WOAH 1

2 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

The problem with gradient helmets is the execution… 

spacer.png

This just looks like whoever was painting it got distracted halfway through and forgot to finish it.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1