2024 NFL Changes

4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Or...it could be due to light, angles, exposure, the lens, filters, and a whole bunch of other stuff that can make the color look different in a photograph.

4 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Bingo. I think the helmets were painted the same shade of very light royal blue from whatever year the D-Horse was adopted up through 1996. Lighting could make it appear anywhere from sky blue to dark royal. 

Yes, but remember, that shade the Denver Broncos used looked close to the Detroit Lions shade. This made me think of this because of the way the azure type of color the Lions use is almost similar to the blue that Riddell paints for the Broncos.

The shade is not off a bit, but slightly different azure than the azure the Lions use.

That is why I touched upon the Giants and Rams using navy blue helmets which they wanted to slightly darken their royal blue to slightly match it which probably never happened. University of Kansas from 1983-1989 went that route from the link I introduced. I think they went with the full royal blue in 1990 which was a missed opportunity for the Giants and Rams, but I can see why they wanted to save money.

But yes, the azure shade to Denver's helmets and the Detroit Lions primary colors were not too far on the azure shading.

• LOL 1

6 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

Yes, but remember, that shade the Denver Broncos used looked close to the Detroit Lions shade. This made me think of this because of the way the azure type of color the Lions use is almost similar to the blue that Riddell paints for the Broncos.

The shade is not off a bit, but slightly different azure than the azure the Lions use.

That is why I touched upon the Giants and Rams using navy blue helmets which they wanted to slightly darken their royal blue to slightly match it which probably never happened. University of Kansas from 1983-1989 went that route from the link I introduced. I think they went with the full royal blue in 1990 which was a missed opportunity for the Giants and Rams, but I can see why they wanted to save money.

But yes, the azure shade to Denver's helmets and the Detroit Lions primary colors were not too far on the azure shading.

No, they weren't. 

I'm azure of that.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

It's where I sit.

14 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I got into a talk about uniforms with a younger work colleague and he referred to these as Arizona’s “classics.” I could have cried inside.

spacer.png

The only logic I can think of is it's the uniform they (sadly) had the most success in and the very person you have in the picture.

• Like 3

jOfO5Rh.pngaYLRFMy.png1FNdgQe.png

1 hour ago, NOLAPelicans23 said:

The only logic I can think of is it's the uniform they (sadly) had the most success in and the very person you have in the picture.

Plus they held onto this look for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. I sure someone somewhere thinks the same thing about the Washington Capitals current set.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NOLAPelicans23 said:

That and nearly every other uniform they've worn has been the visual equivalent of wallpaper. Their home uniforms for decades looked like no-contact practice jerseys and were worn by 4-12 teams playing at baseball parks and college stadiums. You're not going to find a ton of people who fondly remember those. The choices are between ancient uniforms from the 1920s that they threw back to 30 years ago, the 1989-1995 road uniforms, or Reebok's clownsuits, and unfortunately the clownsuits are the ones that the most fans were alive to see and the ones they made it to a Super Bowl in.

• Like 5

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, PlayGloria said:

Plus they held onto this look for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. I sure someone somewhere thinks the same thing about the Washington Capitals current set.

Caps are only a few years(i want to say 3, but could be off by one or two either way) of their current look being their classic look by virture of it being worn the longest. (not counting the throwbacks being worn as a third)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 6/25/2024 at 9:13 AM, Lights Out said:

Their home uniforms for decades looked like no-contact practice jerseys and were worn by 4-12 teams playing at baseball parks and college stadiums. You're not going to find a ton of people who fondly remember those. 

The Seahawks were 7-9 teams that played at baseball parks and college stadiums and everyone can't stop honking it to those throwbacks.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

Saw this on UniWatch today...did the Patriots ever consider a red helmet when they switched to the Flying Elvis logo, or is this just a factory FUBAR (bottom right)?

spacer.png

I'm leaning FUBAR, given the white facemasks that are also wrong (Arizona, San Francisco, Philadelphia and New England). Compare them to the grey of Detroit, for instance

It's where I sit.

9 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

Saw this on UniWatch today...did the Patriots ever consider a red helmet when they switched to the Flying Elvis logo, or is this just a factory FUBAR (bottom right)?

spacer.png

I’d say this set of stickers suffered from poor quality control in general. Jets’ white facemask, Falcons’ black helmets, Patriots’ Flying Elvis logo, Chargers’ yellow facemask…there were zero seasons in which these things all coexisted. In fact, I’m not sure there was a season in which 3/4 of them coexisted. I think the Falcons adopted black helmets at the same time that the Jets adopted black facemasks, which was a couple years after the Chargers stopped wearing yellow facemasks. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I’d say this set of stickers suffered from poor quality control in general. Jets’ white facemask, Falcons’ black helmets, Patriots’ Flying Elvis logo, Chargers’ yellow facemask…there were zero seasons in which these things all coexisted. In fact, I’m not sure there was a season in which 3/4 of them coexisted. I think the Falcons adopted black helmets at the same time that the Jets adopted black facemasks, which was a couple years after the Chargers stopped wearing yellow facemasks. 

Chargers, Chiefs and Cardinals logos are also not quite right. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

The Seahawks were 7-9 teams that played at baseball parks and college stadiums and everyone can't stop honking it to those throwbacks.

It definitely could be that fans have grown tired of the current ones and view them as stale, plus the blue and green is just more visually appealing compared to navy and neon. I will say that for as dated as the Seahawks' throwbacks look, the brighter colors are pretty refreshing even if their use is minimal or temporary.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

And when did the Lions switch to blue facemasks?

1984, IIRC

At the very least, the Chargers went to the Seau look with the white bolt in 1988 and the Flying Elvis era Pats was introduced in 1993, so there's abolutely some FUBAR here.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PurpleHayes said:

.did the Patriots ever consider a red helmet when they switched to the Flying Elvis logo, or is this just a factory FUBAR (bottom right)?

TRIGGERED.... When I played high school football that's what our arch rival's helmets looked like. Had my ribs stomped on by one of their players during a fumble pile my freshman year 😤😠😡

🤬 you Friendly High!!!! 

• WOAH 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

6 hours ago, PurpleHayes said:

spacer.png

The weirdest one is the Eagles helmet looking like a proto-midnight-green three years before they changed.

spacer.png

On 6/24/2024 at 5:34 PM, aawagner011 said:

I got into a talk about uniforms with a younger work colleague and he referred to these as Arizona’s “classics.” I could have cried inside.

spacer.png

I actually used to love these uniforms as a kid when they first debut. It wasn't until the Nike switch when I really started to notice all the problems. 

XM4KeeA.png

12 hours ago, AstroCreep said:

I actually used to love these uniforms as a kid when they first debut. It wasn't until the Nike switch when I really started to notice all the problems. 

I'm embarrassed to say I felt the same way. I also thought the Falcons uniforms were some of the coolest things I'd ever seen. As well as the Vikings, Miami Hurricanes and any other team that used random piping and big angled stripes. 

• Like 2