2024 NFL Changes

35 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

These uniforms are squarely in the "so bad they're good" category for me. Would love for them to be in the rotation still.

3 things you probably didn't know about the Broncos - Dawgs By Nature

Please never buy the Denver Broncos 😉

• LOL 2

It's where I sit.

16 hours ago, GFB said:

If the Broncos wanted to implement the throwbacks full-time, they'd be better off going by a modern update and fixing those issues (like the Jets) instead of a true throwback with all its flaws.

3KI7rPS.jpeg

That would be the perfect update, especially with a slightly-darker royal blue (like what the football Giants use) as the standard.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

These uniforms are squarely in the "so bad they're good" category for me. Would love for them to be in the rotation still.

3 things you probably didn't know about the Broncos - Dawgs By Nature

These are actually better than their new unis.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Huh? 2
  • Dislike 1
  • Hate 1

1 hour ago, logo-maker said:

In my opinion, the only redeemable aspect of the brown and yellow era Broncos was this logo: spacer.png

Let it be a reminder of how beautiful and perfectly fitting this brand identity is:

wyoming_cowboys_logo_alt_on_dark_2013722

Cover-photo-1.jpg

Gibbs-Easton-UW-vs-Illinois-08-27-2022-T

GMC3pWsWkAAZuuR?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Applause 5

12 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

1.   Wrong.  Clean up the old logo but it’s better than the robo horse.  
2.  Who cares…. 
3. lol what.  You have very weird color hierarchy takes.  There is ZERO issue with this blue and orange combo.  

Correct.  Correct.  Correct.

While I'm glad people are coming along on the ideas of color balance and hierarchy, Blue & Orange are opposites in color theory (I should know...I had to take the class twice in college).  No one has ever said the Florida Gators look bad because of this scheme.  Don't reach for things that aren't there, people.

These Broncos throwbacks are elite.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Facepalm 2

13 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

3. lol what.  You have very weird color hierarchy takes.  There is ZERO issue with this blue and orange combo.  

This is what I mean:

pWqqiFP.jpeg

The orange and blue obviously contrast in hue because they are on opposite sides of the color wheel, but there's almost zero contrast in value  as both the orange and blue sit in nearly the same place in saturation and brightness.

When you look at the blue on the jersey stripes and number outline, there's a clear color hierarchy: a light, medium and a dark tone, but the helmet only has two. 

That's why a similar blue works for Ole Miss or the Oilers: the red is a darker value and slides into their color schemes as their "dark" tone, but for the Broncos, their orange is simply too light to do that job. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 3
  • Eyeroll 1

38 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

While I'm glad people are coming along on the ideas of color balance and hierarchy, Blue & Orange are opposites in color theory (I should know...I had to take the class twice in college).  No one has ever said the Florida Gators look bad because of this scheme.  Don't reach for things that aren't there, people.

There's a difference between the Florida Gators blue and orange (which works great) and the Broncos throwback blue and orange (which does not) and I might suggest taking color theory for a third time to hopefully figure it out,

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Yawn 2
  • Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, GFB said:

This is what I mean:

pWqqiFP.jpeg

The orange and blue obviously contrast in hue because they are on opposite sides of the color wheel, but there's almost zero contrast in value  as both the orange and blue sit in nearly the same place in saturation and brightness.

When you look at the blue on the jersey stripes and number outline, there's a clear color hierarchy: a light, medium and a dark tone, but the helmet only has two. 

That's why a similar blue works for Ole Miss or the Oilers: the red is a darker value and slides into their color schemes as their "dark" tone, but for the Broncos, their orange is simply too light to do that job. 

We're not watching football in 1957 anymore. TVs have color. I see this as a nonissue.

Plus, this blue is noticeably darker than Luv Ya Blue.

• Like 7
  • Yawn 1

2 hours ago, GFB said:

This is what I mean:

pWqqiFP.jpeg

While I agree with your understanding of saturation and brightness and why that matters in uniform design - I’ve made this argument here routinely and it’s brings me a strange joy to see it enter the conversation - there are exceptions to every rule.  

One of those exceptions is when the theory of complementary color comes into play.

What you’re arguing is that, if we took Red & Green, at the same saturation and brightness level, and applied them to Christmas, it wouldn’t work.   When we know it works.  Whether you like the like the saturation or tone of the Red or Green used, it objectively works, and everyone knows it’s Christmas.

Same applies here.  Blue & Orange are complimentary colors.  You may prefer Navy over Royal or whatever Denver’s is called, but that’s merely subjective.

And when the Broncos wore their Navy & Orange Color Rush uniforms in recent years, NFL fans across the spectrum didn’t rave about how great they looked.  But when they wore their Throwbacks last weekend, the football world lit up and said, “That’s what the Denver Broncos look like.”

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Huh? 2

21 hours ago, GFB said:

oN9cuQh.jpeg

If @raysox will kick the hornets nest with his Jets take, I will try to one-up him by going on record that the Denver throwbacks are actually bad. 

1) Inferior logo (cyber horse > D horse with a cold) 

2) None of the colors match

3) The robin's egg blue helmet has the same brightness value as the orange, creating a color hierarchy mess similar to the one that the Avs have, only on a much lighter scale.

If the Broncos wanted to implement the throwbacks full-time, they'd be better off going by a modern update and fixing those issues (like the Jets) instead of a true throwback with all its flaws.

3KI7rPS.jpeg

Either one of these would be a good use case for the Giants finish:

east-rutherford-nj-a-general-view-of-a-n

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, GFB said:

This is what I mean:

pWqqiFP.jpeg

a flat gray and white image should not influence a teams actual color scheme.  

in full color, real life, it looks amazing.  Not everything needs super juiced contrast.  

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 2

5 hours ago, GFB said:

This is what I mean:

pWqqiFP.jpeg

Seeing a lot of eye rolls and thumbs down on this, but this is an objectively spot-on evaluation on the basis of color, hue, value and why this is a less than ideal combo as a result

Is it unworkable? Not al all.

I love it deeply - given this is my favorite sports team of all time, wearing the uniforms I grew up watching them in, but the point made is an EXCELLENT point.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, HOOVER said:

One of those exceptions is when the theory of complementary color comes into play.

What you’re arguing is that, if we took Red & Green, at the same saturation and brightness level, and applied them to Christmas, it wouldn’t work.   When we know it works.  Whether you like the like the saturation or tone of the Red or Green used, it objectively works, and everyone knows it’s Christmas.

This is such a flawed understanding of color theory.

Just because red and green are complementary colors doesn't mean you can just throw them together and it will automatically look good simply because they are on opposite sides of the color wheel.  In fact, red and green are notorious for not coexisting well; and you know this is true, because not a single professional team uses this color scheme:

image-deuteranopia-red-1.x57479.png

Whether or not you can identify a holiday with colors is outside the point we're discussing; that's simply association (or brand awareness in the sports design context), not color harmony... and you reaching for a holiday where gaudiness and "ugly" sweaters and decorations are celebrated because they are ugly isn't exactly bolstering your point the way you think it is.

Again, that's not to say red and green never work, just like it would be ridiculous to say blue and orange never work or purple and yellow never work. But when you're working with complementary colors, you need to make certain one is reaches for the foreground and one is relegated to the background. If the sit in the same space, they begin to vibrate off of one another and its hard to look at:

vibrating-color-combinations.jpg

Putting this into action, take the New Jersey Devils Christmas sweaters:

rs-new-jersey-devils-e340e78a-259c-4d1d-

I really like these sweaters, but you can tell that the green does not sit in the same value as the bright red and the team took caution to not have the red and green touch much. It's a darker and less saturated shade of green, but that allows the red to jump to the eye as the forest green retreats. 

However, the minute that the green starts getting brighter and lighter or the red gets darker, the color scheme quickly starts to vibrate and sour:

ocallahan_805__34544.1479498569.jpg?c=2

39809501_10156617260564583_2392112430990

6 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Same applies here.  Blue & Orange are complimentary colors.  You may prefer Navy over Royal or whatever Denver’s is called, but that’s merely subjective.

And when the Broncos wore their Navy & Orange Color Rush uniforms in recent years, NFL fans across the spectrum didn’t rave about how great they looked.  But when they wore their Throwbacks last weekend, the football world lit up and said, “That’s what the Denver Broncos look like.”

You're now talking about brand awareness, not if the colors actual work together. I understand that argument... I think it's a slightly overrated one considering that the team has been navy and orange nearly as long as they were eggshell blue-and-orange (and with far more success to boot), but the pull of nostalgia is strong.  But like I said in the original post, if they want to go back to the throwback identity, they need to change up the blue with a slightly darker shade (like the jerseys have).

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Applause 2
  • Yawn 1