2024 NFL Season Through Super Bowl LIX

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

Again, these numbers must be taken with a grain of salt.  The only numbers that matter are the signing bonus and guarantees, which in this case are $155M combined.

While there's other details that none of us have (yet), it's likely that unless the Packers are idiots, they've left themselves an out where even if he gets a ton of $, they're not actually on the hook for 4 (or does it take effect after this year and therefore it's 5 years?) and can get out with limited dead-cap hit.

The Jalen Hurts contract sounds similar-ish to this, but it's actually ridiculously team friendly and they're not really bound to him past next season.

With the exception of full-guarantees, ALL other contract reports and mentions of AAV are worthless.  Agents manipulate the numbers to make it seem like they're getting the most for their clients, teams manipulate them so they have cap flexibility and "outs", etc.  The only thing that matters, which is difficult to get, is how many years the team is really tied to the guy before they can reasonably cut him, and the guaranteed money.

When was the last time one of these "mega contracts" was seen through to the end?  Once the "out" (meaning when the team can part ways without killing itself) occurs, they're either renegotiated or the guy is paid and released (see Wentz, Carson.)

It’s an extension, so it’s 4 years plus the remained of this contract which ends this year

6 minutes ago, dont care said:

It’s an extension, so it’s 4 years plus the remained of this contract which ends this year

He got a $75M signing bonus that's part of the $155M guarantee.  I assume that he pockets that immediately upon signing, and therefore the team can start spreading out the cap hit now, so like $15M/yr as opposed to ~$19M, but more importantly, reducing their dead-cap hit in the unlikely case they want to get rid of him before whenever the renegotiation time would come.

So it's win/win, similar to Hurts' deal which hasn't hampered the Eagles ability to sign any FA they want and give huge extensions to current guys.

I used to think Love was the unluckiest guy in the league - being unfairly hampered from demonstrating that he's worth a big extension, while his peers are showing off and signing deals.  But I guess it only cost him one year of big money.

Something stupid about the NFL rules is the 5 year vs 4 year team-control rule.  A guy like Jalen Hurts gets paid before guys like Tua, because Hurts was a 2nd-round pick and Tua was a 1st.  Not only is it unfair to the top picks, but it's unfair to the teams as well.  Teams should be rewarded for finding guys later in the draft and developing them into stars, but instead, they lose control of a guy that they developed after year 4 if they don't pay him.

So for a borderline 1st-round player, it's better to be drafted 33rd rather than 32nd.  That doesn't seem to make sense.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Love contract details, per PFT:

1. Signing bonus: $75 million, with $25 million paid within 10 days, $25 million paid by October 4, 2024, and $25 million paid by December 27, 2024.

2. 2024 base salary: $3.5 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2025 workout bonus: $500,000.

4. 2025 base salary: $11.9 million, fully guaranteed.

5. 2025 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

6. 2026 workout bonus: $500,000.

7. 2026 base salary: $49.9 million, guaranteed for injury at signing; of that amount, $10.4 million is fully guaranteed at signing and $39.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2025 league year. ($39.5 million will convert to an option bonus in 2026.)

8. 2026 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

9. 2027 workout bonus: $500,000.

10. 2027 base salary: $41.9 million, $20 million of which is guaranteed for injury at signing and becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2026 league year. ($31.5 million will convert to an option bonus in 2027.)

11. 2027 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

12. 2028 workout bonus: $500,000.

13. 2028 base salary: $43.9 million.

14. 2028 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

The deal also includes $250,000 in Pro Bowl escalators for 2025 through 2028, based on making the Pro Bowl in 2024 through 2027. There’s also a $250,000 Pro Bowl incentive for 2028, pushing the upside to $1.25 million.

The four-year, $220 million extension ($55 million per year in new money) combines with the existing $10.5 base salary for 2024, creating a five-year, $230.5 million deal ($46.1 million per year).

The deal has $100.8 million fully guaranteed at signing, with a practical guarantee of $140.3 million. After only two seasons, the full guarantee moves to $160.3 million.

The contract binds the Packers to Love for three years. If they’d release him after the 2026 season, they’d be saddled with $20 million in guaranteed salary for 2027, subject to offset.

• WOAH 1

It's where I sit.

58 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Love contract details, per PFT:

1. Signing bonus: $75 million, with $25 million paid within 10 days, $25 million paid by October 4, 2024, and $25 million paid by December 27, 2024.

2. 2024 base salary: $3.5 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2025 workout bonus: $500,000.

4. 2025 base salary: $11.9 million, fully guaranteed.

5. 2025 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

6. 2026 workout bonus: $500,000.

7. 2026 base salary: $49.9 million, guaranteed for injury at signing; of that amount, $10.4 million is fully guaranteed at signing and $39.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2025 league year. ($39.5 million will convert to an option bonus in 2026.)

8. 2026 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

9. 2027 workout bonus: $500,000.

10. 2027 base salary: $41.9 million, $20 million of which is guaranteed for injury at signing and becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2026 league year. ($31.5 million will convert to an option bonus in 2027.)

11. 2027 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

12. 2028 workout bonus: $500,000.

13. 2028 base salary: $43.9 million.

14. 2028 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

The deal also includes $250,000 in Pro Bowl escalators for 2025 through 2028, based on making the Pro Bowl in 2024 through 2027. There’s also a $250,000 Pro Bowl incentive for 2028, pushing the upside to $1.25 million.

The four-year, $220 million extension ($55 million per year in new money) combines with the existing $10.5 base salary for 2024, creating a five-year, $230.5 million deal ($46.1 million per year).

The deal has $100.8 million fully guaranteed at signing, with a practical guarantee of $140.3 million. After only two seasons, the full guarantee moves to $160.3 million.

The contract binds the Packers to Love for three years. If they’d release him after the 2026 season, they’d be saddled with $20 million in guaranteed salary for 2027, subject to offset.

NFL contract data isn't the most consumable, but yeah based on the timing and amount of some of those bulk-guaranteed payments, it looks like it's a good deal with "minimal" (relatively speaking) risk on either end.

I think it's fair to say that the Packers aren't one of the "dummy" teams, so it stands to reason that it's a good contract, despite the original eye-popping numbers and "only 10 wins" rhetoric.

If anyone wants to see how "dummy" teams do QB contracts, just look at the Giants and Bears.  And obviously others that I'm forgetting.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks to Set the Edge, I now know about this. I don’t know if that’s a good thing.

I'm a Browns fan, I was there for the 1986 season, and I had no idea this existed. I'm pretty sure that's a good thing.

How the Michael Stanley Band ever became a thing around here is an enduring mystery.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Browns released a statement about their future stadium plans. Possibly renovating the current stadium or most likely building a dome in Brook Park as part of a huge development. Which would also let the city have the port and lakefront for development into something else. 

Brook Park is adjacent to the airport. And a lot more accessible from the interstate grid around the city specifically i-480 the major East-West southern loop. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Browns released a statement about their future stadium plans. Possibly renovating the current stadium or most likely building a dome in Brook Park as part of a huge development. Which would also let the city have the port and lakefront for development into something else. 

Brook Park is adjacent to the airport. And a lot more accessible from the interstate grid around the city specifically i-480 the major East-West southern loop. 

• Like 1

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

21 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

This is the best option. The current stadium isn't terrible, but putting more money into renovating it is a waste at this point. Personally I don't live in Cleveland or even NE Ohio anymore, so the location doesn't matter to me as much. I do prefer the idea of getting away from the lake, better parking options and not having to deal with the horrible weather. I've spent enough gamedays in below freezing temps.

Overall the design is different and I love it. You can tell that US Bank Stadium and SoFi were the inspirations, but it's different enough to feel unique. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 9:00 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks to Set the Edge, I now know about this. I don’t know if that’s a good thing.

Knew about this from JG9 a few years back.  Basically the Browns saw Mike Singletary rap and said "nah, we're not rapping.  We're gonna be barbarians."

Given some of these other teams' musical efforts, can't blame em.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Why does every new stadium have to be some kind of architectural marvel?  Can't they make a state-of-the-art stadium that looks like a sports stadium?  I mean, I like it, but it doesn't scream "sports" to me, and a "legacy" team should play in a football stadium, even if it has all the bells and whistles (and a clear roof) IMO.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

For those who've seen at least a few snippets of preseason games, how do you guys feel about the new kickoff rules?

I haven't seen any, but I can't imagine a team is going to show anything either in the kick or the return.

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

For those who've seen at least a few snippets of preseason games, how do you guys feel about the new kickoff rules?

Saw it the xfl and liked it. Better than getting rid of the kick entirely 

• Like 1