SD Powder Blues possilby making return....

NYCdog

As a football, but not necessarily a Chargers, fan I love the powder blues exactly as they are now, as long as they use the white pants. And the numbers on the helmet are unique, not dated. No one else uses that, its a classic football look. I'd be very happy with a return to the classic powder blues, without modification. But as someone else posted, the owners will do what they want to do, or possibly what they think the majority of THEIR fans want. They could give a rats ass about what the majority of Chris Creamers Sports Logo community thinks.

metslogo_215.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
to all u powder blue haters, realize one thing- we chargers fans want it back, numbers on the helmet and all!

i will never inderstand people like Moser316 and ICS who hate retro for the sake of hating retro. that is no better then liking retro for the sake of liking retro.

as for those who who dont want the powder blues back because they just dont like the colour, well i can respectivly disagree with you, but once again, we chargers fans want them back full time.

I would appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. Don't tell me what I like and what I hate, I'm perfectly capable of stating my own opinion and backing it up.

Once and for all, I would like to state my official position on this topic: I don't mind seeing the powder blue uniforms once a season. That's perfectly fine with me. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The past is a great place to visit, but you don't want to live there. Also, you have to ask yourself: why do the powder blues have any sort of novelty? Because they only wear them once a year. A full time switch would completely nix any sort of novelty they currently have.

The fans can want them back all you want, that's your right. By the same token, it's management's right to turn a deaf ear and do whatever the hell they want. Deal with it, and move on with your lives...

see, im not putting words in ur mouth, and ur post proved it. basically what ur post came down to is "retro is nice once and a while, but no team should use it full time." this proves my observation, Moser (and ICS), that u will instinctivly hate a retro uniform if it is brought back full time, even if the retro desighn is superior to the new desighn in every way. case in point- the detroit pistons went from a classic red, whie, and blue colour sceme, with a classic uni desighn. they then switched to a horrid teal, red, and black scheme with a horendous uni. a couple of seasons ago the switched back to red, white and blue and a nicer uni desighn based on the classic one. by ur thinking they should have satayed with the teal, red, and black because "The past is a great place to visit, but you don't want to live there."

as i see it Moser and ICS, u have a problem with people who like retro for the sake of liking retro. to that extent i agree. i love the chargers powder blues, but hate the atlanta hawks lime green throwbacks. i judge every uniform )past or present) on a case to case bassis. the flaw in ur arguments is that you dont think retro should be brought back under any circumstance. for proof of this, i once again quote you "The past is a great place to visit, but you don't want to live there." this dosnt make ur arguments any better then the arguments of the people who like retro just to like retro.

Sharky, shutup.

The overwhelming majority of football fans and Charger fans (the ones that actually count in this whole thing) Want the powder-blue back. It should be back.

It just looks better. There is no large philosophical thing behind it all. It just looks..... a whole hell of alot better.

i love these moments. one of the few times i can say"jqk, ur 100% correct!"

to all u powder blue haters, realize one thing- we chargers fans want it back, numbers on the helmet and all!

i will never inderstand people like Moser316 and ICS who hate retro for the sake of hating retro. that is no better then liking retro for the sake of liking retro.

as for those who who dont want the powder blues back because they just dont like the colour, well i can respectivly disagree with you, but once again, we chargers fans want them back full time.

I would appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. Don't tell me what I like and what I hate, I'm perfectly capable of stating my own opinion and backing it up.

Once and for all, I would like to state my official position on this topic: I don't mind seeing the powder blue uniforms once a season. That's perfectly fine with me. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The past is a great place to visit, but you don't want to live there. Also, you have to ask yourself: why do the powder blues have any sort of novelty? Because they only wear them once a year. A full time switch would completely nix any sort of novelty they currently have.

The fans can want them back all you want, that's your right. By the same token, it's management's right to turn a deaf ear and do whatever the hell they want. Deal with it, and move on with your lives...

see, im not putting words in ur mouth, and ur post proved it. basically what ur post came down to is "retro is nice once and a while, but no team should use it full time." this proves my observation, Moser (and ICS), that u will instinctivly hate a retro uniform if it is brought back full time, even if the retro desighn is superior to the new desighn in every way. case in point- the detroit pistons went from a classic red, whie, and blue colour sceme, with a classic uni desighn. they then switched to a horrid teal, red, and black scheme with a horendous uni. a couple of seasons ago the switched back to red, white and blue and a nicer uni desighn based on the classic one. by ur thinking they should have satayed with the teal, red, and black because "The past is a great place to visit, but you don't want to live there."

as i see it Moser and ICS, u have a problem with people who like retro for the sake of liking retro. to that extent i agree. i love the chargers powder blues, but hate the atlanta hawks lime green throwbacks. i judge every uniform )past or present) on a case to case bassis. the flaw in ur arguments is that you dont think retro should be brought back under any circumstance. for proof of this, i once again quote you "The past is a great place to visit, but you don't want to live there." this dosnt make ur arguments any better then the arguments of the people who like retro just to like retro.

You say you're not putting words in my mouth, and yet you already know how I feel about a particular uniform that has NOTHING TO DO with this discussion? Am I missing something here? Are you reading my mind or something? I'd sure like to know, because you're comparing apples and oranges. What the Pistons did was re-interpret an older design without bringing it back exactly as it was during the Bad Boys era. It seems like what most Chargers fans want to do is bring back the powder blue uniforms from the 1960's verbatim (maybe with the current collegiate blue instead of the one used back in the day). That's something I do have a problem with.

I'm not trying to sway anybody's opinion for or against retro uniforms. If you're reading this and decide one way or the other how you feel about this, go ahead. It's your right to agree with or disagree with what I'm saying. I'm just giving you my opinion on the issue.

QPR%20Sig.png

Well I just think that most of the current uniforms are much more superior to anything from the past (i.e. "retro"). The Pistons are an exception. The red white and blue scheme they have now is better than the teal, yellow, red they had, although I didn't mind that either.

As for the Chargers, I just simply think that what they have now, logo, uniforms etc, are better than their retro look.

I saw, I came, I left.

i can see ur point, but im just saying u shouldnt say "team x shouldnt bring back their old jersesys because the past is the past." u should look at each uni on a case to case bassis. many times an older uni is alot better then what a team currently wears (blue jays for example). many times, however, a team's current look blows away past desighns (brewers for example). all im saying is just try to keep an open mind when it comes to retro.

Exactly. Some things should never return (the Astro-guts, the Taco Padres, etc), but some retro uniforms are superior to their replacements and should be brought back.

I would love to see what evidence there is for believing that the San Diego fans like the collegiate blue out of a sense of "novelty." :rolleyes: The San Diego fans overwhelmingly want them back, and it's arrogant to presume that their motives aren't strong.

I think Shark just likes being contrary. It's the idiom he's created for himself here. You don't, after all, see him rail against the retro look the Giants have been so successful with.... :D

I for the life of me can't understand why any fan of the Chargers would want the return of the single most feminine color scheme in the history of the most masculine of sports.

The change to the current color scheme is the single largest improvement to a team's look in any sport I have ever seen in my lifetime.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I think Shark just likes being contrary. It's the idiom he's created for himself here. You don't, after all, see him rail against the retro look the Giants have been so successful with

thats because you can hardly refer to it as "retro", nitwit.

with the exception of the period of time from 77 to 82 (the pullover polyester era), the current giants uniforms are relatively consistent with what the club has worn since the early 50s when the club was still in New York. you cant call something retro if its basically the same thing they have been wearing for years.

would you call the yankees "retro"? No, because they have been wearing it for years and will most likely continue to wear it once you have thankfully left this earth.

as far as what fanbases want back. thats banana oil. Fans want what the media tells them to want. Like Ive said before, I seriously doubt the powder blue Chargers unis would be as popular if not for Chris Berman and Tom Jackson on NFL prime time singing thier praises constantly. Really, do we need another white helmet? There are more white helmets in the NFL right now then there are dark blue helmets. and there is no other team in the NFL that utilizes a navy blue-yellow gold scheme. As far as Im concerned, the current Chargers are unique, and there is no need for them to change, especially when they have won a division title this year and the fact that this uniform is what they wore in thier one super bowl appearance (when the 49ers used to be good and smacked them down). Also, I fail to see how the retro chargers uniforms are "superior" to the current chargers uniforms. The current uniforms are sharper and more aggressive looking, whereas the retros just look old and dated.

If fans made decisions on what professional sports teams wore on the field, we would have some seriously terrible looking teams out there. Im thankful that owners dont give in to the sheepish demands of fanbases when it comes to what the teams wear. Oh, but we forget, one militant Canadian that lives three time zones from San Diego speaks for the entire Chargers fan base. How silly of me... :rolleyes:

and no, you are not entitled to my opinion, you are OBLIGATED to my opinion!

finger.gif

I like the Chargers' current look. I also like the retro powders. IMO, if SD did go back to the powder blues, then fans would probably rant for the now "retro" dark blues. It's a continuous cycle. Yeah, I like 'em, but I think the new ones are better. The old unis look like Denver Nuggets x-overs. The lighter colors are good for the NBA because they represent the flashy, show-offy spirit that is pro basketball. They aren't, however, that great for football. I like the darker, down-and-dirty classic unis (Packers, Bears, Steelers, Browns). I even like the current-classic Broncos unis. Just look at the 50,000,000 college/high school teams that copy them.

All in all, I think a reversion to the powder blues would be a mistake on a few levels. One, sales would plummet because people wouldn't need to see them in their closet every day. Two, numbers should never go on helmets. And three, fat guys+bright jerseys=:shocked:

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

. One, sales would plummet because people wouldn't need to see them in their closet every day.

I think sales of Chargers jerseys would climb if they were to go back to the powders. Right now I'm pretty sure that the throwback Chargers blue jersey is the hottest selling jersey, at least in terms of the retro look. If the Chargers were to go back to them full time, the access to them would be easier, and sales would go up. Just my opinion.

metslogo_215.gif

I think Shark just likes being contrary.  It's the idiom he's created for himself here.  You don't, after all, see him rail against the retro look the Giants have been so successful with

thats because you can hardly refer to it as "retro", nitwit.

as far as what fanbases want back. thats banana oil. Fans want what the media tells them to want. Like Ive said before, I seriously doubt the powder blue Chargers unis would be as popular if not for Chris Berman and Tom Jackson on NFL prime time singing thier praises constantly. Really, do we need another white helmet? There are more white helmets in the NFL right now then there are dark blue helmets. and there is no other team in the NFL that utilizes a navy blue-yellow gold scheme. As far as Im concerned, the current Chargers are unique, and there is no need for them to change, especially when they have won a division title this year and the fact that this uniform is what they wore in thier one super bowl appearance (when the 49ers used to be good and smacked them down). Also, I fail to see how the retro chargers uniforms are "superior" to the current chargers uniforms. The current uniforms are sharper and more aggressive looking, whereas the retros just look old and dated.

If fans made decisions on what professional sports teams wore on the field, we would have some seriously terrible looking teams out there. Im thankful that owners dont give in to the sheepish demands of fanbases when it comes to what the teams wear. Oh, but we forget, one militant Canadian that lives three time zones from San Diego speaks for the entire Chargers fan base. How silly of me... :rolleyes:

and no, you are not entitled to my opinion, you are OBLIGATED to my opinion!

finger.gif

actually, no. we dont like them because the media tells us to like them. we like them, because despite what u think, we believe them to be superior in every way to the current uni set. ur argument about the shaeep-like masses holds no water here. ur dead on when it comes to the brewers, because rapors all over the place wear that stupid ball and glove logo. however the argument has no ground when it comes to the chargers and powder blue. i have not seen one rapor (or anyother celeberty for that matter) wear a powder blue jersey.

as for yor quote "and there is no other team in the NFL that utilizes a navy blue-yellow gold scheme. " did u forget about the st. louis rams? as for u saying that i dont speak for other chargers fans on the issue, why dont u ask some other chargers fans? every single chargers fan i have talked to wants them back. i know that not of us do, but its a very small minnority. besides, what do u know of the opinions of chargers fans? u cheer for 49ers (who suck by the way, incase u havnt noticed, while the chargers are 11-3). dont lecture me about the mindset of fans of my own team. and if u must know u, i cheer for the chargers because my dad does, and he does because his best friend in college was drafted by the chargers. he was like 3rd string, but so what. i even have one of his game worn jerseys in my closset.

now, i must leave, for i have to get back to class :P

what's a rapor? ;) i've heard of these people called rappers, and i have seen some in Chargers throwbacks. never heard of rapors though...just messin with ya :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Personally I like the current Chargers uniforms (one of the rare NFL jerseys in my collection)... that combination of midnight blue and electric yellow is kewl :)

I guess the retro ones are alright, I really don't like them over the current ones tho... a white helmet seems pretty lame with a yellow logo... especially if they're going to be putting numbers on there as well.

When i think San Diego Chargers, I think of a lightning bolt, when I think of a lightning bolt I think of a thunderstorm... thunderstorms have very dark skies, not powder blue skies.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

The problem here is that people think they know how others' minds work...

Don't assume because I like a retro look it's because I mindlessly like retro, or because the media tells me to, or a celebrity is hyping the look.

I like some retro, dislike other retro--so whether or not I like a retro look has to do with the look's merits or lack thereof. That it is retro is unimportant to me liking it.

I don't listen to what the media tells me to like--some people do, and others will tend to dislike most of what they're told to like--but they're as much slaves as the ones they complain about. So take what the media says with a grain of salt, at least.

As for celebs hyping a look--so what--I've been around long enough to make up my own mind, and in fact I never have copied a celebrity's look. What some performer aimed at youth wears is of no concern to me that way.

I also object when people try to tell me I like a look because I associate it with a teams' winning era, when I liked the look without knowing about their winning era (this is not the Chargers here).

As I posted in another threads I got into logos when my Grandmother bought me hockey cards--I later bought other sports cards, and sometimes my first encounter with a teams unis & logos was through those cards before I knew how good or bad the team was--my opinion of their look was purely based on appearance...

So while there may be a majority consensus on many logos and looks, we'll never all agree--and that's a good thing, despite what some people here try to tell us...

Don't listen to them--listen to yourself--it's only a sports uni & logo-so go with your gut.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Icecap, that maybe you mean "some Charger fans..." No offense, but I'm a loooong-time Charger fan of 25 years, and I couldn't disagree more.

The Chargers have a good uniform now; I don't believe it needs changing. I am not against throwbacks as a whole, just some are better than others (ex. love the Giant's look, but hate the Jet's). The powder blues are just not something for them to wear all the time. They need to be reserved as our alternates.

Of all the tons of Charger memorabilia and other merchandise that I have, I have never bought a powder blue item. Got a powder blue cap for Christmas last year, but have nover worn it.

I know just as many fellow fans that like the Bolts as-is; I know several (myself included) that think the unis worn from '74-'84 are the best. But I know that Spanos hates yellow, so we'll likely never see that return (and for other Spanos vs. Gene Klien issues, but I digress). I thought they had a very good look for a very brief period of time when they went through several years of tweaking their unis.

I also think the numerals on the helmet are just plain dumb...let that idea stay in the '60's where it belongs. The helmet numbers look out-of-place. And I don't much like the "horse-inside-a-shield logo" idea either, as we already division rivals that have a horse (Broncos) and a shield (Raiders). Our 'bolt is unique, distinctive and says "Chargers". And please don't cluter our uniforms with another logo when we already have a stand-out lightning bolt on the sleeve.

For an idea of the "tweaked" unis & an ideas I had for some minor adjustments (well, except for the self-prolcaimed radical alternates):

Chargers pics & ideas

Anyway...we rode into the Super Bowl in the dark blue, we're back in the playoffs with 'em again....and that rocks!!

Archived