Golden Eagles or Hilltoppers

Sec19Row53

Every Marquette alum I know (and that's quite a few,my wife included) wrote in for Warriors anyway as a protest.

They won't be counted and that is cool. I wish they'd show us the #s on that.

Somebody brought up a pretty good point too. Knights is on the list, and knights were warriors....of a fashion. And some of them for religious purposes, which aught to be even less PC than the vague, nondemoninational term Warriors. Add to that the fact that explorers aren't without culpability in some injustices against native peoples. At least warriors connotes violence when the other guy knows its coming. Just stupid.

I bet they hope this will put it to rest forever, but I doubt it will.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I actually think Hilltoppers works!

Again, why would they want to use a nickname that is unique to Western Kentucky? Why not use Longhorns or Sooners?

If they end up going with Golden Eagles, you can go ahead and mark this down as one of the biggest wastes of time and money.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

They're bastards if they use hilltoppers after Western Kentucky has been using it for so long.

Why? They've got an historical claim to it.

Yeah, and they gave that up. You don't have much historical claim to things when you change your name constantly. Also i'm biased because growing up WKU was the closet college to me, it was right down the road.

They're bastards if they use hilltoppers after Western Kentucky has been using it for so long.

Why? They've got an historical claim to it.

Yeah, and they gave that up. You don't have much historical claim to things when you change your name constantly. Also i'm biased because growing up WKU was the closet college to me, it was right down the road.

Ah, now the truth comes out.... :P

"I think Hilltoppers works as well. There's a vaguely old world military feel about it that's appropriate for football."

Strange, I keep hearing about how some of the nicknames either were part of their past football teams, or that it sounds good for football. But can someone tell me if they even HAVE a football program anymore? I thought they did away with football years ago. For that matter I thought they elimnated baseball and hockey too. Not that it really matter, but it is odd there's such a hubbub for a school's sport nickname if they don't have much for sports to begin with.

Tradition aside, this nickname debate seems a collosal waste of time and money. It all started because a couple of rich alumns tried to bribe back the old name. So what exactly was the school saying; "for the right amount of money we'll go by whatever name you want"? Does that mean if I had outbid them I might have been able to rename them the Marquette Blue Bozos?

Logic should have dictated the outcome. The bid was for the Warriors. The answer was no. None of this "Gold" or any other nickname nonsense should have taken place. The nickname should remain the same and the matter should have been closed. My vote would be for the Golden Eagles.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Strange, I keep hearing about how some of the nicknames either were part of their past football teams, or that it sounds good for football. But can someone tell me if they even HAVE a football program anymore? I thought they did away with football years ago. For that matter I thought they elimnated baseball and hockey too.

yeah, though it's club level (basically, they only play UWM and some D3 JV teams)

MU Football

and to answer your other questions, club adn club.

MU hockey

MU baseball

heck, I don't even think MU ever had varsity hockey

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

i heard from a pretty good source that the winner is going to be Golden Eagles.

Then what's the point of the nickname search if you are going to stay with a hated nickname.

You might as well call them the 'Losers,' cause the students and the alumni are total losers for being involved in this joke of a search.

Then what's the point of the nickname search if you are going to stay with a hated nickname.

Probably because the "hated nickname" is better than the atrocious attempt at a compromise that the MU establishment dropped on the world. Since the apparent choice of the people (Warriors) is not on the table for consideration, they might as well return to the nickname they did have at the start of this whole "Marquette Gold" nonsense.

If there is enough genuine feeling for "Warriors", and enough fans and media outlets got behind the movement, the team could be popularly and unofficially known as the Warriors. For instance, the Washington Senators' new ownership renamed their team the Washington Nationals in 1904. However, the unofficial nickname (Senators) remained in common, popular usage for the next half-century, and the official nickname (Nationals) was largely ignored.

It's like stadium naming rights. When the Eagles sold naming rights to Lincoln Financial for their new pleasure palace, the Lincoln Financial people explicitly requested that fans not abbreviated the name of the stadium or christen it with their own nicknames. They're not paying anybody but the Eagles' front office one red cent to call the place anything, and so the building was summarily named "The Linc" about 10 seconds after the suit at the podium made this request in a stirring display of Philadelphia contrariness.

The Marquette administration has no more authority over Marquette fans than Lincoln Financial Group has over Eagles fans, so call the team whatever you want to call them - if enough people join in, it'll develop a life of its own.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived