Steeler Helmets

nugent4president

They add the numbers at the beginning of the regular season, as the team makes them "earn them" in the preseason.

"Earn them"?? If that was really the case, Hines Ward's helmet would look rather blank come Week 1.

6uXNWAo.png

Logo on the other side? BLASPHEMY! That's what makes the Steelers helmet unique.

But the italic numbers just ... don't ... look ... right. Every time I see an NFL Films show of the block letters I just wonder why everyone's so gosh-darned hung up on "modernization." :rolleyes:

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Modernization is fine for some teams. But the numbers were changed just because Nike wanted to put their "stamp" on the Steelers' uniforms.

That's not a good reason to change. There are plenty of good reasons for a club to change its uniforms, but that's not among them.

But the numbers were changed just because Nike wanted to put their "stamp" on the Steelers' uniforms.

Wouldn't the team have to approve that change? If so, they obviously were on board with the change, and have kept those numbers long after Nike stopped making their gear.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Nah, if they're really good, they get to wear straight, nice-looking numbers on their uniform jerseys instead of those Nike-designed atrocities the team's been subjected to the past 8-9 years.

I agree. Those numbers ruin an otherwise perfect uniform. If the Steelers went back to the old number font I would have to vote them top 3 in the best primary uniforms in the NFL.

BB52Big.jpg

Paradoxically, I think the italics define the uniform as more belonging to the Steelers. As VandyDelph just posted, the jersey is identical to Iowa's with the Varsity Block numbers.

Besides the logo on one side, the thing I always associated with the Steelers is the gigantic numbers on the fronts of the helmets. But it always looked disjointed that the font of the helmet number, which is so prominent, never matched the jersey number font. Unifying them - and choosing the font that stood out as unique - wa a great move. At the same time, they kept the colors and stripes that are classically Steelers.

Why they italicized the numbers slightly, I don't know. But it's about as much of a change as the Steelers should make, Nike or not.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Does anybody else remember hearing the Steelers were going back to block? I swear I read that as more than just a rumor.

Not a big deal to me. I like the uniformity between the helmet and jersey numbers, but I wouldn't care whether it was block on both or the newer ones on both.

Just a thought, and I know it wouldn't go because of tradition, but does anybody else think it might look good if instead of putting the numbers on the front of the helmet, they put them on the blank side?

I think that'd be nice looking.

Paradoxically, I think the italics define the uniform as more belonging to the Steelers. As VandyDelph just posted, the jersey is identical to Iowa's with the Varsity Block numbers.

It seems to me that I remember the Hawkeyes started to copy the look of the Steelers uniforms in the 70's or perhaps the 80's whenever Haden Fry first came to Iowa. I always figured he was trying to instill a winning mind-set by having his players wear unis practically identical to the Steelers who by then had become synonymous with winning and intimidation.

metslogo_215.gif

Archived