Favorite Superdome Memory

sscrunner06

After hearing the news that the Superdome will most likely be destroyed, I started thinking about my fond memories of the Dome. I have been to many Saints games, but I think my favorite game was Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers knock off the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXI. Also, I remember watching my beloved Gators destroy the 'Noles 52-20 in the 1996 Sugar Bowl to claim their first ever national championship. What are some of ya'lls favorite Dome memories?

AM.gif

Super Bowl XXXVI- The game's final play as announced by Gil Santos; I stil get giddy watching this.

"Ken Walter will hold, Lonnie Paxton will snap, from the right hash mark angled to the left for Adam Vinatieri, a 48-yard field goal attempt. Snap, ball down, kick is up, kick is on the way and it is...GOOD! IT'S GOOD! IT'S GOOD! ADAM VINATIERI BOOMS A 48-YARD FIELD GOAL AND THE GAME IS OVER! AND THE PATRIOTS ARE SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS! THE PATRIOTS...ARE...SUPER BOWL...CHAMPIONS! THE BEST TEAM IN THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE!"

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

4 memories here stick out...

--Jordan's baseline jumper against Georgetown in the '82 national title game.

--Keith Smart's last second shot vs. Syracuse in '87.

--Vinateri's FG in SB XXXVI

--Carmelo Anthony leading the Orange over Kansas to give Jimmy Boeheim his first title in '03.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Super Bowl XXXVI- The game's final play as announced by Gil Santos; I stil get giddy watching this.

"Ken Walter will hold, Lonnie Paxton will snap, from the right hash mark angled to the left for Adam Vinatieri, a 48-yard field goal attempt. Snap, ball down, kick is up, kick is on the way and it is...GOOD! IT'S GOOD! IT'S GOOD! ADAM VINATIERI BOOMS A 48-YARD FIELD GOAL AND THE GAME IS OVER! AND THE PATRIOTS ARE SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS! THE PATRIOTS...ARE...SUPER BOWL...CHAMPIONS! THE BEST TEAM IN THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE!"

I still get chills when I hear that call... :D

Best moment in Patriot history, IMO. February 3, 2002.

Was the Superdome used once for baseball?

Mar. 15-16, 1990 -Major League Baseball exhibition; New York Yankees vs. Baltimore Orioles (Superdome baseball attendance records; 45,152 for Saturdays game; 2-day total of 88,542)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I have several.

1986 Super Bowl XX...return of the Monsters of the Midway

1987 Final Four-Keith Smart's Jumper....my first ever Superdome memory.

1991 Bears VS Saints...Morten Andersen drills a 60yd field goal but Saints lose

1991 NFL Playoffs...Saints won first division title but the Falcons were "2 Legit to Quit"

1993 Sugar Bowl....Two words...."George Teague"

1993 Final Four....Webber's phantom time-out

1995 Sugar Bowl....Two words...."Rock Preston"

2000 Sugar Bowl....Two words...."Michael Vick"

2000 NFL Playoffs...Az-Hakim's fumbled punt recovered by David Milne to give Saints first playoff win in team history.

2002 Super Bowl XXXVI...outstanding game

98Falcons.png

Was the Superdome used once for baseball?

Mar. 15-16, 1990 -Major League Baseball exhibition; New York Yankees vs. Baltimore Orioles (Superdome baseball attendance records; 45,152 for Saturdays game; 2-day total of 88,542)

I did'nt know about that.Does anyone have or can find pics of the games??

98Falcons.png

--Carmelo Anthony leading the Orange over Kansas to give Jimmy Boeheim his first title in '03.

This would be my favourite memory... the orangemen finally pulling through.

Shut up.

Feaking Nick Collison not being able to hit a free throw.

Vintiari hitting that field goal was so freaking awesome. My favorite Super Bowl moment.

Archived