Am i the only one?

JQK

I think the Islanders have one of the better logos and uniform sets in the NHL.

Yea, the alts suck, but other that that, i think they look great.

What exactly sucks about their logo? I know there are alot of people who say "Oh yea, they suck" just because a few others do. sycophants.

Anyways, i love the "NY" hockeystick, i love the island silhouette, and the Islanders on the bottom is a no-brainer. It conveys what a logo is supposed to, the teams location and nickname. I'll concede that it does it rather bluntly, but it is still a solid logo.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The Islanders main sweaters are great, my only minor annoyance is that the sleeve stripes aren't the same pattern on both. I like matching jerseys.

The alt jersey is the worst in the NHL. Easily.

The logo I'm not really fond of. Some may say that it is classic, but I think it's just dated. Dated is bad. The NY hockey stick is clever, but the depiction of the island is too blunt for my tastes (like LOOK. HERE'S WHERE WE PLAY!) and I don't like that the Islanders text overlaps the island in just that one spot. Throws off the balance. And the placement of the puck is odd.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Kinger, think about it... were it released today, would it be seen as decent?

I think you know the answer to that.

When I was a kid, I thought the "NY" with the stick was clever, but in today's light, it's kindof hokey. Ditto the text and the island--especially, as someone pointed out, that random spot where they overlap. Plus, I'm predisposed to hate hockey jersey crests that have the name of the team in them (I do give special dispensation to the Rangers, however; and to a lesser extent, the Stars), I generally think it looks bush league. All in all, I think it's a 70s holdover that should have been left behind.

The sweaters are excellent--I love the shoulder patch (which only makes sense if you put it on one shoulder, duh!), and the classic but not-cookie-cutter numbering is great. The update they made when switching back from the Gorton's disaster was fantastic, choosing very strong colours to fortify their classic look.

The fisherman was, of course, much worse. But, there was one (and, really, only one) good thing from that disaster of a redesign--the lighthouse logo that was used as a shoulder patch. I really think that would make a fantastic crest for their current sweaters, so long as the teal was removed to make it match the navy/orange/white motif they currently use.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Kinger, think about it... were it released today, would it be seen as decent?

I think you know the answer to that.

I see it as a solid design, even today. Much like the Devils logo, it gives the team location and name, albeit a little more bluntly.

The overlapping "I" and Island never bothered me. And i love the Long Island in the logo. The colors are great, the jerseys are great, the logo is great.

Now i'l give it to you that the Lighthouse logo is one fantastic logo, and would love to see it's way made into an alternate (Lord knows the current alts need to die), but that logo doesn't match with the Jersey in my mind. It just.. would always look like a puzzle with one piece kinda cockeyed.

I guess i can't explain the reasons why i love this logo. It doesn't scream "70's" to me, it never has. Maybe that's why i like it. It's not dated. It makes a beautiful crest on a jersey. Hell, if i were an Isles fan, it'd make a great tattoo.

I guess i just like it.

sB9ijEj.png

I agree, the Isles' unis have a sort of timeless quality to them. While I'm not a big fan of their primary logo, it just seems to fit. And I absolutely love the shoulder patch. I wish I could get my hands on a hat featuring just that on the front. The only change I would make would be to add the lighthouse as the left shoulder patch. And that way, you could make an alt with the lighthouse as the primary logo.

Death to the traffic cone alts!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The New York Islanders' logo screams "Late 1960s-Early 1970s" graphic design... and not in a good way.

The tail of the "Y" in "NY" being rendered as a hockey stick comes across precisely as Kev described it: "hokey". What's more, I don't like how rendering the tail of the "Y" as a hockey stick then forces the right-hand branch of the upper portion of the "Y" to be thinner than the left-hand branch. It throws off the balance of that portion of the logo.

The balance is also thrown off in the logo's lower portion by virtue (or, in this case "vice") of the fact that the "I" in "ISLANDERS" overlaps the outline of Long Island... thus, drawing attention to the fact that the "S" does not. In fact, the entire word "ISLANDERS" is askew along the bottom curve of the containment circle.

Further, there just seem to be too many elements at play in the logo... and they're all crammed into too small a space.

IMHO, it's incredibly dated. The team would be far better served by using some version of the lighthouse secondary as their new primary mark. You might then be able to get away with utilizing the "NY-stick" logo as a secondary or tertiary mark, if so desired.

The Iles logo is great thats why everyone hated the fisherman so much because it got rid of a perfect uniform. Persoanlly I wish they dropped the 4 stripes on the uni thats kind of lame.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

bring back the fisherman? do you understand the consequences of such an action? tha'ts like saying you like the taste of your own vomit. The fisherman was one of the most horrid abominations in hockey logo history. Don't bring him back, let him rot and stink in his grave, where he belongs. The Isle's do need a bit of a logo makeover, just so it's not so cheap looking and bush. I like the ny hockey stick, wish they'd do more with that.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

bring back the fisherman? do you understand the consequences of such an action? tha'ts like saying you like the taste of your own vomit.

Best.

Line.

Ever.

sB9ijEj.png

I think the Islanders blue jersey is really one of the nicer jerseys in the NHL. The white jersey is nice too, but not as awesome as the blue one.

I also don't mind the alt actually, I just wish the white stripe around it was uniforms throughout the jerseyAND that they'd wear orange socks with them.

I actually hoped that when Prince Edward Island was awarded the former Montreal Rocket QMJHL franchise, that they'd change their name to the P.E. Islanders and use a map of Prince Edward Island in a similar fashion.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I have always love the Islanders logo. I was shocked when I came on here and realized most people did not like it. I agree with tank that the four "Stanley Cup Stripes" are pretty lame, but otherwise, great primaries.

And the Fisherman sucked. The wavy stripes sucked. The extra colors sucked. EVERYTHING about those uniforms sucked. I am glad they are back to the good stuff.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I actually hoped that when Prince Edward Island was awarded the former Montreal Rocket QMJHL franchise, that they'd change their name to the P.E. Islanders and use a map of Prince Edward Island in a similar fashion.

Perhaps the AHL would consider a return to the island -- fans in bridgeport beware :)

I love the colour scheme -- the logo does look very 1970s to me but it's a classic in my eyes, only to be changed by slight modernisations (much like their 1997 touches) Home unis are great... if I didn't hate them so much, I'd consider buying one :)

Tucker rules :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived