Outside The Lines - The Numbers Game

Bouj

Anyone see the Sunday edition of Outside The Lines? The subject was jersey numbers. Pretty good show. The last segment, which features the interviews, included ex-Bronco Ray Crockett and UniWatch-er Paul Lukas. Crockett talked about the importance of jersey numbers to a player, and how he almost bought #39 off of a teammate when he got to Denver. The teammate ended up getting cut, so he didn't have to. Lukas mentioned some other similar incidents, including when Mitch Williams bought John Kruk's # for 2 cases of beer.

Good stuff. I'd have to say I would probably do the same thing, although there are a coupel of different numbers I'd be willing to wear.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

heh, I'd been meaning to start a number thread anyway so here's mine, with the reasons:

95: varsity jersey number

67: freshman and sophomore number

64: worn for a couple games on JV. I also donned 95 on JV, though I have a very foggy memory of the other number I wore that year (something in the 50s or 70s)

53: my number in 8th grade ball

3: March

21: March 21st

83: 1983

8: one of my cousins has recently taken to calling me Eightball, so I figured I'd add that

99: the ubiquitous lineman number if there is one

00: always wanted to wear it cus of seeing Jim Otto in those old NFL Films highlights

0: heh, may as well add it since I got 00 listed

any other number is either that of a real player or random

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I always wore 18, 19 or 29.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Mine:

1 - number choices were limited as a goalie, and I thought 0 looked stupid. (Sorry, 'Scrim.)

3 - couldn't have 12 for basketball [see below], so 1+2 = 3. And as a shooting guard, I shot the 3 (and made a few of them).

10 - JV baseball, because someone had my #12.

11 - Little League. Dwight Gooden and I have the same birthday (16 November). He wore #16, so I wore #11 in response.

12 - basketball/football/baseball. If I had to pick a number to say was "my number", it'd be 12 or 1. Needed double digits as a pitcher, got tired of the double-number thing (and Gooden's life and career went into the dumper), and I couldn't get #11 - so I went up to #12. Kept 12 for football. Had 12 for hoops until HS, where it was taken out of circulation.

17 - hockey. Always liked it. Don't know why.

85 - HS football. One year I changed from QB (we were a crappy option team, and getting the :censored: beaten out of me every down got old) to WR.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

My softball team will begin its 18th year in 2006. During that time, I've worn:

#89: one higher than the highest # in the majors at the time (former Oriole Rene Gonzalez).

#4: Earl Weaver. I'm the manager, so why not?

#72: Carlton Fisk. Old, fat catchers must stick together.

#13: The "unlucky" number

#39: Gave up 13, so just tripled it.

#59: Finally settled on the birth year. Still playing at 46, so I must be doing SOMETHING right!

:rolleyes:

Wore #16 and #18 in elementry-school tee-ball and #6 in little league, none for any reason other than those were the numbers I was assigned. Switched to soccer and wore #14 'cause I was born on the 14th. My last year playing soccer I was on a team where the coach's kid's best friend took #14 so I tried for #24, was too late and ended up with #23.

Now I would wear one of my "lucky" numbers, #11, #14 or #79.

I always wear 87 (birth) or 25 (Not for Barry Bonds, it was purely random).

I even got to pick #87 for the Autism Awareness race..too bad I scratched.

Numbers I have worn, since somehow this turned into this ...

7, 20, 21: CYO basketball

9, 11, 14: rugby (they number you based on position; I was either a scrum half or a wing)

71: company softball team

1, 2, 13, 40, 51: community basketball league (actually on the game committee, but every year they'd order t-shirts for the all-star-game, and we'd always order extras for the people at the scorer's table)

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

10- My h.S hockey number and 2nd yr midget hockey. (Reason: Marian Gaborik)

14- My first year of Jr Hockey # (Reason: Timmy Chang and Theo Fleury)

4- My Best year of Midget hockey I wore this # (Reason: Cause my Dad was #3 his whole life)

spacer.png

Preferred numbers (in order of preference) --

16 -- birthday (and liked Scott McGregor growing up, for good measure)(I have about 5-6 jerseys floating around the house with this number)

8 -- birth month

4 -- Earl Weaver, and I just like the look of the number for some reason

5 -- Brooks Robinson

1 -- goalie number (and liked Al Bumbry growing up)

Others I have worn, to the best of my recollection --

84 -- youth football

14 -- 11-12 baseball

30 -- company basketball and softball when the others weren't available (and/or 16 was illegal for basketball)

15 -- club soccer when someone snatched up 16 first

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Football

85 - year of birth

5 - fave number

Basketball

Hockey

95 -85 and 5 unavailable

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

and my all time favorite number on a jersey

MITCH WILLIAMS #99

There was someone else who wore #99, if memory serves. I think he was a hockey player, played in the NHL for a few years, with a couple of teams - he must have been pretty mediocre. Name escapes me, though, but it'll come to me. Wade Grassi? Gretzo? Ah, whatever...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I always wear 5.

Bought it from a guy on my softball team a few years back.

Always wore it in soccer growing up, basketball, etc. Football I had to wear 50 and 55 a couple times. Got made a defensive end once, and they made me pick a 80s number. (dont know why) so I took 89.

15, 55, 50.. all are just place holders when I cant get 5

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived