Spelling of team name

markar14

There's probably some meaningful historic or tradition-involving answer to what I'm wondering:

Why is the name "Maple Leafs" with "Leafs" at the end instead of "Leaves?" Technically isn't that the proper way to pluralize Leaf? Or is the spelling up north a bit different? (like with all those unneeded U's next to O's, but let's not go into that...) Just curious.

That's been discussed here before. Also, I would recommend consulting a dictionary beforehand. It would have told you that either is acceptable. Here's a link.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I may be mistaken, but I remember reading somewhere that since it's the plural of a proper name (a single player being a Maple Leaf), you just add the S and don't change the spelling.

For example, former QB Ryan Leaf's family would also be The Leafs, not the The Leaves.

That's the explanation I've heard as well. Well, it was along those lines...

The leaves of the maple tree are just that - maple leaves. In this case, maple is an adjective to specify which tree the leaves are from.

But the hockey team was named for the Maple Leaf - capital "M", capital "L". It is the name (2 words) of one of the national symbols of Canada, not merely the leaves that are seen on maple trees. The Maple Leaf is more symbolic than the leaves it's based on, the same we Americans refer to the Stars & Stripes, while there are other garden-variety stars we see nightly, and stripes on everything from cars to shirts that are just stripes - they're only symbolic when associated with the flag. As a proper name, "Maple Leaf" (symbol) is pluralized by just adding "s".

:flagcanada: Or May bee Kanaydeeuns just aru'n't gud spelurs and they gott konfsued abut rools.? :D

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The reason is that Conn Smyth had very poor grammer, hence the "Leafs" and not proper "Leaves." I mean, he went to my high school, I can see how he does something like that.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

The spelling of Leafs has been explained. As for the "unnecessary" U's next to O's. That was the way the words were before the United States decided to just change it. The U is not unnecessary, it is the way it is spelled. USians just got lazy...

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

The spelling of Leafs has been explained. As for the "unnecessary" U's next to O's. That was the way the words were before the United States decided to just change it. The U is not unnecessary, it is the way it is spelled. USians just got lazy...

So lazy they removed the last sound of the letter Z (zed) and changed it to zee insatead of zeh. :D

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

What i've never understood is why the Maple Leafs are blue and not red. If they are named after the Maple Leaf, then wouldn't they adopt it's red colour? Or did they go blue because the Habs were red?

Green made a bit more sense but blue i just never have heard that part of their history.

They're blue and white because of "Canada's blue skies and white snow"

What i've never understood is why the Maple Leafs are blue and not red. If they are named after the Maple Leaf, then wouldn't they adopt it's red colour? Or did they go blue because the Habs were red?

Green made a bit more sense but blue i just never have heard that part of their history.

but when it snows, there aren't any leaves on the trees, and the few they have already dead and should be reddish/brown

I may be mistaken, but I remember reading somewhere that since it's the plural of a proper name (a single player being a Maple Leaf), you just add the S and don't change the spelling.

For example, former QB Ryan Leaf's family would also be The Leafs, not the The Leaves.

By that logic, the NBA team in Minnesota should be the Timberwolfs, as a single player would be a Timberwolf. <_<

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Eddie Izzard has a great routine about that.

You pronounce it "erb." We pronounce it "herb."

Because it's got a #@%$in' "H" in it!

but when it snows, there aren't any leaves on the trees, and the few they have already dead and should be reddish/brown

Dude, kill the screen-sized Stevenson HS sig.

spikes.jpg

Conn Smyth wanted a patriotc name, hence Maple Leafs. He also wanted colours that represnted Canada. Red and white were being used by the Habs, so he went with blue and white, the team's original colours from their days as the Toronto Arenas. He then expalined it with the whole "Canada's white snow and blue skies" thing.

Archived