MLS Metrostars become Red Bull New York?

jalpz9

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cue the soccer fans who will either lament the "history" of the metrostars, or bitch about the blatant advertising inherent in the likely new name.

Either way, I say bring it on. I'm not a big soccer fan, but I do like some of the unusual (to us, anyway) naming conventions that European clubs use. Red Bull New York doesn't exactly suck, name-wise.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

That would certainly be, um, interesting.

As for that being unique in the US, it actually isn't (at least not if lower level leagues are counted):

Miami Hooters (Arena Football League)

1214.gif

New Jersey Red Dogs (Arena Football League)(Red Dog Beer)

1225.gif

Capital Region Pontiacs (CBA)

CapitalRegionPontiacs.GIF

Cedar Rapids Silver Bullets (CBA)(I believe there is a Coors Light connection)

CedarRapidsSilverBullets.GIF

Detroit Neon (CISL)

DetroitNeon94.GIF

EDIT: By the way, the name actually doesn't sound that bad (without thinking about the reason/source, anyway).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The MetroStars have a 10 year history. As a fan of MLS (Revs season ticket holder for 9 years), I would lament the name change.

However, what Red Bull did to the team is Austria was downright horrible.

The team even banned fans from wearing the old colors into games. Yep, if you wore purple, you were denied entrance.

They really screwed over the fanbase over there. I'd hate if they did the same to the small, but ardent Metro fans - and this is from a New England fan.

patriotssignature.png

As for that being unique in the US, it actually isn't (at least not if lower level leagues are counted):

Miami Hooters (Arena Football League)

1214.gif

New Jersey Red Dogs (Arena Football League)(Red Dog Beer)

1225.gif

Capital Region Pontiacs (CBA)

CapitalRegionPontiacs.GIF

Cedar Rapids Silver Bullets (CBA)(I believe there is a Coors Light connection)

CedarRapidsSilverBullets.GIF

Detroit Neon (CISL)

DetroitNeon94.GIF

Wow I had no idea it already existed here.

However, what Red Bull did to the team is Austria was downright horrible.

The team even banned fans from wearing the old colors into games. Yep, if you wore purple, you were denied entrance.

Man, if you have any links that talk about this more, I'd be interested in reading further on that topic. Unreal.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I think Silver Bullets was used for that old Woman's professional football league, as well.

And don't forget about the Tacoma Rainiers, owned by Rainier Beer.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think Silver Bullets was used for that old Woman's professional football league, as well.

Uhh, the Rainiers are owned by a California chicken producer.

Whoops!

When I was at WSU, a couple of friends told me that the beer company owned the team. Thanks for the correction - I always thought the beer company had a huge influence on the team because it was pretty much the same font, and same logo...

Whoops!

When I was at WSU, a couple of friends told me that the beer company owned the team. Thanks for the correction - I always thought the beer company had a huge influence on the team because it was pretty much the same font, and same logo...

The original Seattle Rainiers had some of their ownership from the brewery.

The Tacoma logo is pretty much just an homage to that rather than a nod to current ownership.

Why am I unsurprised that something Rainier related would come up at Wazzu? ^_^

Why am I unsurprised that something Rainier related would come up at Wazzu? ^_^

:lol:

Thanks OMMF for setting the story and history of the team straight, for me at least. B)

and you can't forget the all-female touring baseball team from the mid 90s, the Colorado Silver Bullets (take a wild guess) ;)

hell, you all forgot the most obvious example of all...the Packers (who even had ACME PACKERS on the jerseys for a year or two)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The europeanization of the name is dumb. The New York Red Bulls actually sounds pretty good, but I guess it's not soccer-ish enough.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Wow I had no idea it already existed here.

Oh yeah. Absolutely. And if you go back to the origins of what's now the NBA, virtually all of its original teams were named for sponsors in one manner or another, including the most noteworthy of them all, the Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons, now known as the Detroit Pistons.

nav-logo.png

Archived