Angels Old Unis

tikitiger

I'm not sure I get what you mean by "take advantage of the name", though.  The Angels play in a suburb of LA, they have as much right to it as any team.

Anaheim is not a suburb of la at all, anaheim is its own city, its own location, and its own identity.

Only in the collective mind of the Anaheim tourist board. :P

Hoboken is its own city, with its own location and its own identity. That doesn't stop it from being a suburb of New York.

You'll find that all suburbs share the qualities you list. Many suburbs are incorporated as cities (as opposed to villages and towns), physics dictates that that no two objects can occupy the same space (hence the separate geographical location), and even neighborhoods within a city have their own identites.

Anaheim is a suburb. Any claims to the contrary are just public relations spin.

ur retarded.....anaheim is not a suburb, check ur geography

Anaheim is in the LA Metro Area.

Yep, that makes it a suburb.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always love this cap:

1965ang.jpg

And I've got that one. ;) Why didn't the current Angels put a halo on the cap?

Ah. Did you notice that this cap was the first ever (and until now, the only) that used the initials of the place (city and/or state) and... the nickname of the team?

Also, besides NY, this cap is the only that used the abbreviation of its state: California (CA).

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I can't find the photographic proof, but there was an auction between 1992 and 1996 in Sports Collectors' Digest (I think it was Leland, but not 100 percent sure) which featured a salesman's sample of a 1961 Los Angeles Angels jersey which featured a jacquard placket (i.e., red and white stripes between the sleeves and body, kind of like an old-style bowling pullover) and a cursive logo with two angels on a bat (kind of like the Cardinals' birds-on-a-bat logo). I kind of wish they had used that jersey instead of the Red Sox clones ...

Also, besides NY, this cap is the only that used the abbreviation of its state: California (CA).

I loved that halo.

FWIW, the "NY" on the caps of the Mets and the Yankees both stand for the city. The New York refers to City of, not State.

The first team to be named for the state was the Minnesota Twins, but they of course put "TC" on the caps instead of "M" until much later. So you could very well be right that the Angels were the first to have a state orientation on their caps. Good catch.

I loved that halo.

FWIW, the "NY" on the caps of the Mets and the Yankees both stand for the city. The New York refers to City of, not State.

The first team to be named for the state was the Minnesota Twins, but they of course put "TC" on the caps instead of "M" until much later. So you could very well be right that the Angels were the first to have a state orientation on their caps. Good catch.

Also for what it's worth, while CA is California's initials, I think it stands for "California Angels".

I'm almost surprised the Hollywood crowd isn't clamoring against the name Angels on the grounds that it has too many religious connotations.

Only the right seems to care about team names/religious connection.

I loved that halo.

Also for what it's worth, while CA is California's initials, I think it stands for "California Angels".

Although, when was CA first used on a cap?

And second, when did the postal code "CA" first come into vogue?

I seem to remember it happened when I was a kid, and by that time the Angels were well into their '70s-'80s look.

In my youth, you wrote letters with "Beverly Hills, Calif., 90210" or "Chicago, Ill., 60613" on the final line. Only later did Calif. become CA and Ill. become IL and, technically, "N.Y." become "NY" -- only the Associated Press and newspapers have stuck with the old abbreviation style.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that the CA cap in no way had a double meaning at the time it was worn, even though it does now. (Although I could be wrong on when the current postal codes came into existence...)

EDIT: And after all of that....I looked into it a bit and found that "Ca." was an alternate abbreviation even way back when, even though "Calif." seems to be the preferred choice. Oh well, too much thought for nothing.

Like many others here, I loved the '93-'96 jerseys that the Angels wore. That "CA" hat is one of my favorite baseball caps of all time. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one for a long time.

The other Angels hat that I like a lot is from their first years as the Los Angeles Angels. I'm the proud owner of an old navy and red "LA" cap with the silver halo around the top. It would be nice to see those show up again in some form. :D

I used to have the road 93-96 cap. Ruined it some way or another. I finally found a place that has all the old Angels caps so I could replace it:

Cooperstown Collection Caps - Angels

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived