Yankees threaten to consider moving

marlinfan

Yanks threaten to walk if court rules against ballpark

by patrick arden / metro new york

> email this to a friend

AUG 4, 2006

LOWER MANHATTAN ? As the attorney for the South Bronx community group Save Our Parks, Jeffrey Baker filed a lawsuit against the city and the New York Yankees late Wednesday to stop the building of a new stadium on 22 acres of parkland.

The lawsuit had long been expected, but time was running out for the Highbridge residents to make their case. Two weeks ago the stadium plan secured its last approvals from the Internal Revenue Service and the National Park Service. Yesterday Baker asked for a temporary restraining order to prevent construction crews from breaking ground in the parks on Aug. 17.

Baker sat alone in the hallway of the Manhattan Supreme Court late in the afternoon, waiting to enter the courtroom of Judge Rosalyn Richter. At 4:10 p.m., he was joined by a group of nine men and one woman, all in black suits, who represented the Yankees, the city, a construction firm and bond underwriters.

Once in the courtroom, the judge had no problem picking out the two sides.

?I assume this side of the table is here to oppose the injunction,? she said, smiling.

Bench warmer

Richter explained she wouldn?t consider the merits of the case ? she was leaving that to Judge Herman Kahn, who would hear arguments on Aug. 14. Kahn had sided with the MTA in its decision to accept the low bid when the Jets wanted to build a stadium over the West Side rail yards.

The plaintiffs claimed the city had violated the State Environmental Quality Review Act, which required it to consider the social impact of the new stadium in equal measure to its economic effect. Now they just wanted the judge to stop the Yankees from chopping down 377 trees before their suit could be heard. ?The harm would be irrevocable,? Baker said.

?There is no need for a TRO,? replied the Yankees? lawyer, Jonathan D. Schiller, who noted the next court date fell three days before construction was set to begin. Schiller complained about the ?ripple effect? of delays and the threat of increased costs. The new stadium had to be ready by opening day 2009, he said, and the current ballpark could not be used for part of one season. With yet another postponement, he added, ?The Yankees will have to consider leaving the city.?

?The problem is we don?t have the same resources,? said Baker. His co-counsel, Antonia Bryson, was out of the country until Aug. 13, and state and federal agencies had not yet handed over documents.

Last resort

?Is it your contention that none of the agencies considered the impact on the community?? Richter asked, before denying the TRO request, citing the adverse impact it could have on the Yankees? sale of nearly $1 billion in bonds.

?All the powers that be lined up behind the project,? Baker acknowledged. ?Now the residents have to rely on the courts.?

http://ny.metro.us/metro/local/article/Yan...lpark/3805.html

Yeah sure, ok. :rolleyes:

1997 | 2003

Well, they can move to Tampa so they can finally have a major league team there... :P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

The New York Yankees? Where would they move? Back to Hell from whence they came?

Baltimore? :P

Move them to Montréal, see what happens.

IF the Yanks move, I wonder how many of their fans would switch over to the blue and orange side.

The Meadowlands, perhaps?

Probably not. Right now they are building a new football stadium there and where the arena is they are building some type of shopping mall around it because both teams there are moving to new arenas. There isn't room there for another 50,000 seat stadium plus transportation their isn't really suitbale for an everyday sport like baseball (right now there is no mass transit there). I don't know were exactly a new stadium go though but probably not there.

They Yankees are not moving from the New York City metropolitan area. Use some common sense people.

Hoboken would make sense birthplace of baseball beautiful skyline views and ferries to the city.

I'd actually agree with Tank on this one. Don't know how well it'd go over with the Yanks movin to Jersey (not like it'd go over well anywhere else, for that matter), but it would be one of the better -- and more viable -- options.

IF the Yanks move, I wonder how many of their fans would switch over to the blue and orange side.

I can't imagine too many would. They're waiting for the Mets to win the World Series to change their colors.

IUe6Hvh.png

Why don't they just say in the current Yankee Stadium for another few years until they find a place everyone can agree that is still with the NYC area? I doubt whoever owns the stadium is going to deny them.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I can't imagine too many would. They're waiting for the Mets to win the World Series to change their colors.

About time someone backed me up on that.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Archived