Sign in to follow this  
ManCalledAmp

Old D-Rays Fan Cap?

Another thread mentioned how cheap Rays caps are on ebay, which kicked up my curiousity. While searching, I came across this little doozy...

WTF, Mate? This thing is baaaaad.

Sorry I can't post the pic; my computer at work won't let me right-click.

I'm not the best judge of counterfeits, but this thing....ugh. Are these for real?

Another thread mentioned how cheap Rays caps are on ebay, which kicked up my curiousity. While searching, I came across this little doozy...

I'm not the best judge of counterfeits, but this thing....ugh. Are these for real?

I don't see why not. If you're going to counterfeit something, wouldn't you want to counterfeit something somebody would actually want to buy?

I don't see why not. If you're going to counterfeit something, wouldn't you want to counterfeit something somebody would actually want to buy?

Very well said.

I found another one for The Fugly Awards, but this one doesn't look fake, just sad. With a color-scheme-creep. Everybody's favorite add-to-the-color-scheme-color....Black!

why do you question that these are counterfeits? Fashion caps are made every year and can look like anything.

The first one is absolutely appaling. But I can see the locals at Del Boca Vista donning those lids before a rousing game of canasta.

As for the second, I sympathize with the excess of black in virtually every color scheme. On the merit of the hat itself, I think it looks pretty good. Black is really the only color for it, maybe white. If you did the purple (or whatever the D-Rays' secondary color is) it'd look terrible.

the 1st one looks like it came from a florida Gas N Go type place. the second one not so much

why do you question that these are counterfeits? Fashion caps are made every year and can look like anything.

Yeah, take a stroll through a Wal-Mart or Sears clothing department and you'll see some of the worst hats and T-shirts you've ever seen.

Why else do they offer those low, low prices? Only way to get that crap of the shelves.

I'm far more intrigued by this.

Anyone notice something about the team name?

Yeah, no "Devil." Was the issue of renaming the team ever resolved? And if so, what was the "winning" name?

You know me...my purpose in life is the continuing education on team colors:

TampaBayDevilRays_FRC_2000_SOL.jpg

TampaBayDevilRays_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

What's really sad is that I won that top hat out of a claw machine in Fargo, ND one day.

What's even sadder is that I was trying to win it.

I personally like that hat.I have one like that,execpt it's for the Astros with the 90's logo.

I'm far more intrigued by this.

Anyone notice something about the team name?

I wouldn't read too much into that; the copyright is from last year and it's a girl's shirt, so they're prolly just going for a more innocent look.

As for that first hat, it screams mid-90's, and I have a few similar looking ones of various other teams. I guess cream colored-stuff and elegant typefaces were kinda like today's black and piping....

What's really sad is that I won that top hat out of a claw machine in Fargo, ND one day.

What's even sadder is that I was trying to win it.

I want to know why you were at a claw machine in Fargo, N.D. That's the real question.

For fun in 2002, I worked for one day as a beer vendor at Al Lang Field. I got a t-shirt and hat to look professional. The shirt read "Tampa Bay Rays." So, no, that's nothing new.

By the way, tip your beer vendors. They work hard.

Those hats are fashion caps, not official caps.