Cleveland Browns

Shroinke

I'm assuming a lot of people on this board read Paul Lukas' Uni Watch blog.

But for those who do not (or haven't recently), during one update he revealed the Browns will be wearing throwback helmets in addition to jerseys, pants, and socks on Sunday.

7482.a.jpg

I don't know if it's been covered on this board (I don't believe so), but yea. Kinda cool.

I like these better than the current helmets...At least one team should have numbers on the side of their helmets aside from the chargers a few times every year.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I have to agree that I like it too. Maybe because they were once an existing helmet. I love the Browns... been a fan my whole 36 years of existance. I'm not the type of Browns fan though who goes nuts when a concept with a slight change is introduced. As long as it's not some "new trendy" logo design... It sits well with me.

Now... A Stupid Question:

Let's say the Browns adopt this new look. Is there a number that should be permanently used as the "official" logo? Say, 32 is always used on tv graphics or any type of print. Or would the team use "06" or "07" changing year by year?

12 is what's always used when Alabama's helmets are shown. Why, I don't know..Perhaps it'd be the same way?

could be that they use the 12 because they have 12 titles and Joe Namath wore it when he was there

as a browns fan, i would rather see them adopt the #32 for the logo IF it was going to become an offical logo. but i would rather have them keep them blank

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

12 is what's always used when Alabama's helmets are shown. Why, I don't know..Perhaps it'd be the same way?

From what I know, 'Bama tends to market whatever number they believe that will sell the best. I have no proof to back that up, but the logic behind that is they usually market either the number of the current starting quarterback, the number 12 (homage to past greats such as Joe Namath, Kenny Stabler, and Pat Trammell, along with the number of national championships won by the university), or the number of other great players (such as 37 for Shaun Alexander). Basically it's just a marketing device.

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

-The same pants worn by defensive lineman Bob Gain will be put on

-The striped socks worn by Walt Michaels will be worn

-the return of a thin brown stripe, surrounded by two orange stripes, on the side of the white pants

-the team will wear the brown, white and orange striped socks they wore in years past

-There are no "TV numbers" on the shoulders of the jerseys

-Due to NFL rules, last names appear on the back of the jerseys being used on Sunday. These were not used in late 1950s.

-The "AL" patch the Browns normally wear, which honors late Browns owner, Al Lerner, won't be on the sleeve, nor will the 60th anniversary patch appear on the front of the jersey.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=6148

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Helmet numbers, much like NHL numbers on the front remind me of something that seems like a good idea, may even look good on paper, but in real life, it looks lame. I will hand it to the Browns though. Each year, they find a way to make their uniforms even uglier. I guess you have to match their looks with their performance...total crap. This organization and some of the fans rely on the past way too much. News flash...Jim Brown is gone. Brian Sipe and the Cardiac Kids are gone and so is Ozzie Newsome and Bernie Kosar. Is this what the NFL had in mind bringing them back?

KISSwall09.jpg

Only two things from this retro set need to be carried into the current unis:

1. Sock stripes.

2. The lack of an "AL" sleeve patch.

And bring back the white facemask!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't like these as throwbacks. They aren't different enough from their normal set. I was watching the highlights from this game on TSN and I didn't realize that they were throwbacks until half way through. They should have worn white versions of these jerseys (no wordmark or "AL" patch) and a solid white helmet.

Archived