New Oregon Helmets!?!?!

TenaciousG

I don't have a problem with the helmet and the way it looks, with the exception of the "o" should be larger on the bacl or it should be large and on the sides. The black/green diamond plating has to go. The diamond plating has to go. I guess we see the difference between Bronco Mendenhall who went back to nice classic looking uniforms while using Nike and Mike Bellotti who bends over for Phil Knight and his ugly uniforms. I hate to say this but the Joey Harrington era unis look so good and I hated those. What I'm scared of is 5 years down the road I'm going to think these uglys will look good compared to what they are wearing.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should have gone to RISD....

Don't you ever, EVER!! say that. No matter how bad your Oregon education was, you are a better person for not going to RISD. Say what you will about the success rate of their students, the kids that go there are turned into THE worst people on the planet. Working in RISD's neighborhood filled me with contempt for Art schools in general. Dealing with snotty art snobs all day made me want to drive a stake through their hearts. You go to the UofO, youre better for it. (I apologize to the RISD alumn on this board. Had I dealt with you, I'd probably have a different opinion.)

I should have gone to RISD....

Don't you ever, EVER!! say that. No matter how bad your Oregon education was, you are a better person for not going to RISD. Say what you will about the success rate of their students, the kids that go there are turned into THE worst people on the planet. Working in RISD's neighborhood filled me with contempt for Art schools in general. Dealing with snotty art snobs all day made me want to drive a stake through their hearts. You go to the UofO, youre better for it. (I apologize to the RISD alumn on this board. Had I dealt with you, I'd probably have a different opinion.)

Fair enough - I have no idea about RISD - and after thinking a second time about that statement, I probably wouldn't like RISD either. UofO professor LOVE that freaking school - probably should have thought of that and made a connection. I totally retract that statement and amend it with the fact that I just should have gone to Lane Community College, or OSU, where they have actual graphic design programs. My apologies, grub.

As for the comment earlier about the guy who won't come to Oregon because of our football uniforms -

That is the DUMBEST reason for not going to a school. Choose a college based on the degree programs, the location, the professors, but DO NOT choose a school based on their uniforms. I chose UofO because at the time I applied, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do - had I realized it would be graphic design, my choice would have been different. In other areas, like Journalism, Business, Education, and Music, UofO is a great school to go to - not so much for Graphic Design. But to choose your school based on the football uniforms - sports should not have THAT much of an influence on your life. I don't care if it was sarcastic or what, it was just asinine to me. There. My ¢2. Freaking newbies.

OD_Signature.jpg

As for the comment earlier about the guy who won't come to Oregon because of our football uniforms -

That is the DUMBEST reason for not going to a school. Choose a college based on the degree programs, the location, the professors, but DO NOT choose a school based on their uniforms. I chose UofO because at the time I applied, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do - had I realized it would be graphic design, my choice would have been different. In other areas, like Journalism, Business, Education, and Music, UofO is a great school to go to - not so much for Graphic Design. But to choose your school based on the football uniforms - sports should not have THAT much of an influence on your life. I don't care if it was sarcastic or what, it was just asinine to me. There. My ¢2. Freaking newbies.

Yeah, I was going to say something similar. But this might be better: If you would choose a school based on uniform appearance, do your classmates a favor and opt out of higher education. There are too many people in college these days that only take up space in classrooms waiting to get drunk on the weekends and we certainly don't need anymore. Those kinds of college students devalue my degree.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yeah, I was going to say something similar. But this might be better: If you would choose a school based on uniform appearance, do your classmates a favor and opt out of higher education. There are too many people in college these days that only take up space in classrooms waiting to get drunk on the weekends and we certainly don't need anymore. Those kinds of college students devalue my degree.

ha, i applied to Longwood only because i thought the name was funny

Great point. The argument for Oregon gaining recruits because of their uniforms is also lame for the same reason. I'm not sure why oregon has such a problem. If a kid will go to ann arbor, columbus, or lincoln, then why not eugene? a winning tradition would trump flashy uniforms. its just lipstick on a pig. fire belotti and you've got yourself a leg up. and thats coming from an SC fan.

the team was going to have three helmet choices, but - when they decided to only make the second for the bowl game - they had to choose between the yellow-design one and the white one, and they chose what they chose. I'd figure there's an outside possibility we get the white helmet for next year, too. I hope not. an inverse of the regular helmet would be alright, but ghost flames and the weird paint job just are ridiculous.

there's a difference between a football recruit and a student. Let's not lie - almost all D1 athletes in the big BCS conferences (and top-RPI conferences for basketball) aren't at schools for academics, with some notable exceptions. So, having another positive recruitment aspect that the student athletes seem to like - the edgy uniforms - is a positive.

it just doesn't transfer to real students one iota.

don't base your school on athletics at all. that I really enjoy Oregon's sports teams and that they've been pretty good (though I want to fall on the sword tonight) is just a bonus. and yes, gordie, you should've gone to OSU if you'd known you were going into graphic design; don't say you'd go to Lane because there's no way I'd go to Eugene just for community college.

my opinion of campus view on the uniforms? Ambivalent. I think a lot of people are just tired of having our unis picked on by everyone else. There haven't been major uprisings to change them, but many people are also neutral or uncaring about them. And, again, the progressive view of uniforms fits the otherwise very progressive campus culture.

and leave it to a UW fan/alum/student to rag on UO's unis...seriously? purple and gold? seriously? the argument makes itself.

at least we have everyone *around the nation* talking about our school and football team...

harperdc.gif

I watched the game tonight, cause I'm a Ducks fan. From a distance the helmets looked pretty cool I though. But up close...I think the Lack of the O on the side hurt them. I also kept looking cause it almost looked as if the flames weren't just airbrushed but actually sculpted as part of the helmet mold. Probably not, but it sure looked that way.

On the White helmets apparently there was something to do with the white paint scratching or flaking off too easy, something to that affect...Also why they didn't use the Yellow til tonight.

The Diamond plate, some one at one ppoint commented that they look reflective and tonight I totally thought they did. In day games it's there but at night games it's like that whole panel is glowing. When tehy aren't glowing I think it's fine, not great but I don't vomit in my mouth or anything. WHen it's glowing though....too obvious.

I liked what my dad said when summing up the uniforms and play.

"They are worrying too much about the uniform and not on their playing"

Although that may not be true, since it isnt the players who are designing these, it sure is starting to seem to me that the uniforms and countless number of combo's might be starting to become a distraction. To much of looking good or cool or whatnot, because that doesnt translate into how you play.

Maybe it was the football gods striking down on the ugliness.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

after last nights perfromance it's clear that the program is spending way too much time

on non-football issues such as what they're going to wear instead of who they're playing and how they're going to win. I agree a winnig tradtion trumps everything. It's why recruits choose Penn State or Nebraska, it's not the flash, it's the substance and tradition of knowing you're playing for one of the best.

Although that may not be true, since it isnt the players who are designing these, it sure is starting to seem to me that the uniforms and countless number of combo's might be starting to become a distraction. To much of looking good or cool or whatnot, because that doesnt translate into how you play.

The players do apparently have a great deal of input, so the case could be made that priorities are out of whack all across the board.

Great point, I was just thinking that last night as I watched BYU dismantle them. To an extent, I think that all of the color combos, "progressive" designs, and publicity surrounding how their unis look has to be a distraction. Also, I would really like to know how many of the players actually like how they looked last night on the field.

AM.gif

if the uniforms are doing *anything* to the players, it's feeding their egos and making them think they're better than they really are. Yes, at the beginning of the year this was the third-best Pac-10 team, but through their play they've slipped and have earned their final place.

the team have an ego problem...too much ego, and not nearly enough heart.

harperdc.gif

Archived