Jay Mariotti

TFoA

What's up with him and Chicago sports? I mean, just by watching ATH, it's got me thinking "Damn, this looks like the type of dude who would pick against the Bulls during their dynasty run." Because normally you see hometown writers defending their hometown teams on a national platform...Uh uh, not Mariotti. The dude basically says the Colts might drub the Bears, and then goes on a 10 minute (extreme hyperbole) speech about the wrongdoings of Tank Johnson (albeit deserved.)

So yeah, any Chicagoans out there, what's up with Mariotti and Chicago sports? It's almost as bad as Terence Moore and Atlanta sports.

Mariotti is a noted contrarian assbag, who hates every team in this town, especially the Bulls and Sox, because of some long-standing personal grudge he holds against Jerry Reinsdorf. His columns are usually smarmy and condescending to franchise and reader alike. That said, he does, on occasion, print a worthwhile read that hits the nail on the head. Today's piece on Tank Johnson's media day allegations that the world is racist against him is an example of the rare "good" Mariotti column.

Today's piece on Tank Johnson's media day allegations that the world is racist against him is an example of the rare "good" Mariotti column.

Agreed. Read it on the Atlanta Falcons MB and he was absolutely right.

But still, come on now. Going back to my original post, I am certain that he would've picked the Bulls to lose every single one of those NBA Finals.

I think every sports town has one writer like him, who always is pessimistic and picks against the home team, simply because it inspires reactions like this.

Yeah, in Chicago, there's Mariotti, and let's not forget his long-standing feud with White Sox resident homer Hawk Harrelson. We, in Los Angeles, have T.J. Simers of the Times...he's pissed off many of the top athletes in this town, and like Mariotti, he has his own morning radio show on the Laker radio flagship station.

Archived