Least intimidating team name ever...

whitedawg22

QUOTE(Armadillo19 @ Thursday, February 8th, 2007 - 02:57:57) *

The Montgomery Biscuits ( http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?t=1327 ) of the Southern League is pretty terrible.

They also have the WORST logo in sports history IMO...

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=5856

My god...

You obviously haven't paid attention to this site. The Biscuits, as incredibly weird as they are, are one of the more celebrated minor league identities on this message board.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Sorry, didn't know they were a famed team on the boards. Any insight as to why they are so celebrated, and also, why they're called the Biscuits in the first place?

Thanks in advance.

speakin for myself, I've seen worse (see Storm, Toledo). I like it myself, but couldn't tell ya exactly why aside from the fact that I just like it. and why the name? well, the owners reasoned that everybody likes eating biscuits, how bout watchin em play baseball? ^_^

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Kittens" ... has to be the least intimidating nickname I've ever heard, unless you're a ball of string.

First off, cats are vicious animals, more wild than tame, and if you die in your house they will eat you. Kittens too.

Plus, there's the factor that for high school kids, it's often better to have a non-threatening name like that, because adolescents naturally identify with the underdog. You know that if your team is the kittens, the other schools are making fun of your wimpy name, which gives an added edge to the feeling when you win. "We're the Kittens -- hear us roar!" and whatnot. Plus when you win, the other poor team just lost to the freakin' Kittens. That's beautiful.

Southern Lab is a private university school that operates under the *shock* University Laboratory System, in which it is a school ran by the university's Education department, with the purpose of being a "laboratory" for new teaching methods. The students are admitted through a pretty rigorous process, and tend to excel academically...

...which doesn't stop them from being one of the best 1A schools in the state for athletics (Recruiting?! Not us! <_<). Bar None. Always a threat for the state titles in football and basketball, in a division where you're usually good at only one or the other.

Of course, there's the Kentwood Kangaroos, but I wouldn't mess with their football team, either...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Kittens is pretty bad. Most of the unique ones are just that, unique, more confusing than cutesy, but kittens?

Wouldn't jaguars have cubs, not kittens? Lions have cubs, tigers have cubs, you would think jaguars would have them.

My favorites, just from my general area.

Sparkplugs (Speedway HS, Indy)

Argyles (Marion, IN?)

Cheesemakers (monroe, WI)

Pretzels (Fulton, IL)

Chinks (Pekin, IL--now changed)

The Chinks made me wonder if there were ever other really derrogatory racial nicknames other than some of the bad native-themed ones (Redskins and the like). Not that I want to turn this thread to the vilest name, just wondering if there were any.

The Pretzel are actually from New Berlin, IL. I'm told that the Chinks letterman jackets used the same Chinese looking font that a lot of Chinese restaurants use. A couple other good nicknames are the Teutopolis, IL Wooden Shoes and the Hoopeston, IL Cornjerkers. There's a school in Illinois that has Midgets as their nickname, though the name of the town escapes me.

The Grimsley Whirlies in Greensboro, NC is the least intimidating name around here.

That's a good one. My ex-girlfriend's father went to Grimsley many moons ago.

My high school's archrival went by the [Haddon Heights, NJ] "Garnets". I always assumed it was because of their school colors (garnet and athletic gold). But their mascot was Sparky, the Arizona State Sun Devil, which they modified by taking the pitchfork out of his hand and replacing it with a gigantic jewel. So evidently, they tried to say their name from a hunk of semi-precious gemstone. Whatever...

But my all-time favorite nickname was my college roommate's high school's old name: The Auburn [Mass.] Dandies. According to the school, the mascot was "a well-dressed, possibly effeminate gentleman". At their games, they'd have a student show up in a tux with tails, complete with white gloves, tophat and a cane. The Dandies got mocked so badly that they rechristened their teams the Rockets, in honor of Auburn's own Robert Goddard, the father of modern rocket science in the US.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I am really suprised no one has said this nickname. Especially since they seem to be the media darlings the past few years in the realm of 1A major college sports.

Ladies and gentlemen, please do not attempt to digest this little nut because it is poisonous and may cause choking (in more ways than one). :rolleyes:

I give you the

Ohio State BUCKEYES (bow)

My high school's archrival went by the [Haddon Heights, NJ] "Garnets". I always assumed it was because of their school colors (garnet and athletic gold). But their mascot was Sparky, the Arizona State Sun Devil, which they modified by taking the pitchfork out of his hand and replacing it with a gigantic jewel. So evidently, they tried to say their name from a hunk of semi-precious gemstone. Whatever...
So lemme get this straight... they're going to sparkle you to death? (So quoth my cousin, the Heights grad).

That said, my Hermits are another one of those names that don't seem to sound as intimidating as it should. But the worst in South Jersey might be the Vineland High Fighting Clan, formerly the Poultry Clan.

LvZYtbZ.png

well I guess the criminals still exist. Yuma High School:

http://www.yumahighschool.com/

That Yuma Criminals web page is pretty sad. Not to stereotype criminals as being illiterate, or anything, but...

"Internet Explore has an automatic update that has unabled our dropdown menu to be seen... Thanks for you patience"

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Wood Memorial Trojans. They're in the same county as my alma.

I kid you not.

Cute... then there's the (Euless) Trinity Trojans in Texas (featuring the Tongan football players in the Gatorade "Pay the toll" commercial). I always got a kick out of that dogmatic oxymoron (Trinity is for the river, not the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost... however)...

Marc

Columbia (MO) Hickman Kewpies is much worse. I'd rather be a baby jaguar than a cartoon baby doll any day of the week.

Hey have some respect for my school! lol but yeah our mascot isn't very intimidating, but who cares when the football team wins state. Haha! I've got a ring!

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Delaware Blue Hens. No offense to women, but it must be embarrassing for the men's teams to have a female specific nickname. Then again, the "Chickens" would be worse.

homes, "blue hen chicken" is the name of the actual bird. said bird is Delaware's state bird. publish dat book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Hen_Chicken

2016cubscreamsig.png

I may have posted this before, but what the heck, here goes again.

I come from a very small North Dakota town called Wing. We were the Wing Royals. Our arch-rival from about 12 miles away was the Tuttle Trojans.

Alas, those two towns kept growing smaller and smaller, and had to join together as a co-op for most activities. For the first year of sports, they were called -- I kid you not -- the Wing-Tuttle Royal Trojans.

They are now called the Wildcats. But Royal Trojans lives on in the memories of embarassed Wing and Tuttle alumni.

heh, funny yall mention Monroe...we actually got more 'makers, in this case the Kimberly Papermakers.

Additionally, we have the only two high school teams in the nation that call themselves Purgolders...Wash House, aka Milwaukee Washington HS and some Madison school I forgot the name of. Both use purple and gold, hence the name, and Wash House uses a husky mascot cus they got the same name and colors as a certain college in Seattle ;) the other Purgolders? I forgot what school they're from, you expect me to know what mascot they use? :D

Finally off the top of the dome, Manitowoc Lincoln HS is generally referred to as Manitowoc, Manty for short. Their nickname? The Ships.

heh, as long as it's on my mind, can anyone tell me why Stevens Point HS' teams call themselves Spash? I remember watching the state hockey final once and I've been scratchin my head on that since.

2016cubscreamsig.png

heh, funny yall mention Monroe...we actually got more 'makers, in this case the Kimberly Papermakers.

Additionally, we have the only two high school teams in the nation that call themselves Purgolders...Wash House, aka Milwaukee Washington HS and some Madison school I forgot the name of.

That would be Madison East high school, which is in the same conference as Janesville Parker, where I went to high school.

There's another Papermakers somewhere too....think it might have been like Abbotsford or somewhere around there.

Some more good Wisconsin names:

Watertown Goslings

Cuba City Cubans

Clintonville Truckers

DeForest Norskies

Always used to have a chuckle about the Beloit Purple Knights as well. Knights isn't so bad, but then you add purple, well, draw your own conclusions.

Actually, I had the Kimberly Papermakers' wasp mascot earlier in the thread!

Manitowoc used to be called the Shipbuilders, but it's been shortened over the years to Ships.

I forgot Neenah - the teams were called the Red Rockets, and when girls sports came in in the 70s, the girls teams were called the Rockettes.

And SPASH for Stevens Point is an acronym for Stevens Point Area Senior High.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

To add to the list of funny nicknames, the Babe Ruth baseball team in Hooker, OK (yes, it does exist) are called the Hornytoads. THE HOOKER HORNYTOADS.

As far as least intimidating, I'd have to go with Canadiens. :D

My two favorites in this category are the Morehead Spuds from Minnesota and the Dickinson Midgets from North Dakota.

Can you even still say "midget"?

The Dickinson School Board, a few years back, voted to do away with the team name Midgets. The result was a recall election, and those who voted for ditching the Midgets nickname were voted out of office. So the name Midgets remains.

Two other classic names from North Dakota were the Wildrose Roses and the Tower City Clams.

On the other end of the scale here in North Dakota, one of the classiest nicknames of all time was the Ayr Rifles.

By the way, it's Moorhead, not Morehead.

Ooops. I knew that.

pagetemplate_07.gif

Dickinson Midgets Logo

It's nice to see that Midgets will live on! I even have a Midgets t-shirt I got in Bismarck at Scheels.

After reading this whole thread, I have to say Dandelions is probably the least intimidating along with Kittens. At least Midgets can be a bit creepy at times.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

To add to the list of funny nicknames, the Babe Ruth baseball team in Hooker, OK (yes, it does exist) are called the Hornytoads. THE HOOKER HORNYTOADS.

As far as least intimidating, I'd have to go with Canadiens. :D

BA-ZING!

You've got a future here my friend :P

Archived