Least intimidating team name ever...

whitedawg22

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wilimsville South HS: Billies

DONT KNOCK THE BILLIES!!! Williamsville South HS graduate here!!!

its short for billy-goats, which isnt too wussy.

Heres a couple oddities in the Rocester, NY area:

Edison Tech Inventors

East High Orientals

the Orientals?!? WTF. is that like the insulting name for asians, like how they call native americans redskins (like NFL washington) ?

Illinois seems to have alot of weird names.

The afformentioned Pretzels (which I believe there are a few. I know of New Berlin for a fact as we played them in HS...there is also a Pretzels team in Wisconsin...I want to say Germantown)

The afformentioned Fischer Bunnies (who I also played in highschool...their Junior High was known as the Scotties...as in little ankle biting dogs)

The Hoopston Area Corn-Jerkers

Roxana Shells (Shell Oil Corp paid a bunch of money to the school)

Freeburg Midgets (I believe mentioned)

Collinsville Kahoks (which is meaningless...they just thought it was cool. They use an indian as a mascot however)

Centralia Orphans (girls are the Orphan Annies)

Monmouth Zippers

Rockford East E-Rabs (named for the school's colors...Red and Black)

Teutopolis Wooden Shoes

Cobden Appleknockers

Effingham Flaming Hearts.

Geneva Cogs (City Of Geneva Schools)

Lincoln Railsplitters

There is a book about some of the more unique illinois ones called "Why Mascots Have Tales" by Fred Willman a native of Naperville. I'll be picking it up soon.

Wilimsville South HS: Billies

DONT KNOCK THE BILLIES!!! Williamsville South HS graduate here!!!

its short for billy-goats, which isnt too wussy.

Heres a couple oddities in the Rocester, NY area:

Edison Tech Inventors

East High Orientals

the Orientals?!? WTF. is that like the insulting name for asians, like how they call native americans redskins (like NFL washington) ?

I "knocked" my school so I can "knock" yours right :D

Oh...I forgot the Fredonia HS Hillbillies

saBS.png

Another "Billies" is at a school near Eugene, OR - the Pleasant Hill Billies.

Also, I'm wondering if the "Orientals" nickname was not originally meant as a racial slur, but rather was a reference to the school's name. "Oriental" is derived from a word for "East" (the corresponding term for "West" is "Occidental"), so East High could have been nicknamed for that reason. Nowadays, however, perhaps they should think about a change.

All those Indiana names (of course Logansport is the Berries - ever hear of Loganberries?) and nobody called out the Vincennes Lincoln Alices?

Notably, their mascot is a green ... er, thing ... called "Big A."

BIGA(BAS.JPG

Or the Frankfort Hot Dogs?

There are also Papermakers in Kimberly, Wis. (the mascot is a paper wasp).

kimberlylogo.gif

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

My two favorites in this category are the Morehead Spuds from Minnesota and the Dickinson Midgets from North Dakota.

Can you even still say "midget"?

The Dickinson School Board, a few years back, voted to do away with the team name Midgets. The result was a recall election, and those who voted for ditching the Midgets nickname were voted out of office. So the name Midgets remains.

Two other classic names from North Dakota were the Wildrose Roses and the Tower City Clams.

On the other end of the scale here in North Dakota, one of the classiest nicknames of all time was the Ayr Rifles.

By the way, it's Moorhead, not Morehead.

I played against Vincennes Lincoln in HS and always wondered what the meaning was behind them being called the Alices.

I played college ball for the Wabash Little Giants. We used to play the Oberline Yeomen and the Hiram Terriers. The Rose Hulman Engineers are also in state.

There also is the Northeast Dubois Jeeps here in southern Indiana. Along with the Shoals Jug Rox. That makes me remember the Rockville Rox.

Even through the darkest days....this fire burns...always

EAGLEZZZZ.png

"Kittens" ... has to be the least intimidating nickname I've ever heard, unless you're a ball of string.

First off, cats are vicious animals, more wild than tame, and if you die in your house they will eat you. Kittens too.

Plus, there's the factor that for high school kids, it's often better to have a non-threatening name like that, because adolescents naturally identify with the underdog. You know that if your team is the kittens, the other schools are making fun of your wimpy name, which gives an added edge to the feeling when you win. "We're the Kittens -- hear us roar!" and whatnot. Plus when you win, the other poor team just lost to the freakin' Kittens. That's beautiful.

As to "least intimidating," have you not heard of such teams as the Cubs, the Mets, Cardinals, Padres, Browns, and Jazz? And that's just the pros. One could go on with wimpy names minor and historical -- Nuts, Sand Gnats, and Orphans, oh my! "Kittens" at least represents a living creature with very sharp claws and teeth. As they say in Chicago, what the heck is a "Met"? Say what you will about the Cardinals, but kittens eat songbirds for lunch. Literally.

20082614447.png

The Grimsley Whirlies in Greensboro, NC is the least intimidating name around here.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

my favorite that I know of is the Sandusky Blue Streaks. It's not really wussy, it's more cool. Named after the Blue Streak roller coast which I believe was one of the first roller coasters at Cedar Point amusement park which is in Sandusky, Ohio.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Montgomery Biscuits ( http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?t=1327 ) of the Southern League is pretty terrible.

They also have the WORST logo in sports history IMO...

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=5856

My god...

You obviously haven't paid attention to this site. The Biscuits, as incredibly weird as they are, are one of the more celebrated minor league identities on this message board.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The Montgomery Biscuits ( http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?t=1327 ) of the Southern League is pretty terrible.

They also have the WORST logo in sports history IMO...

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=5856

My god...

You obviously haven't paid attention to this site. The Biscuits, as incredibly weird as they are, are one of the more celebrated minor league identities on this message board.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

They're like buttah.

Archived