Survival79

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Can do' replacing old sense of doom

By MARC TOPKIN

Published April 22, 2007

RAYS RUMBLINGS: The Rays have to notify MLB by May 31 of their new name (dropping Devil) and color scheme (blue and yellow?) but don't plan to announce it until after the season.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

'Can do' replacing old sense of doom

By MARC TOPKIN

Published April 22, 2007

RAYS RUMBLINGS: The Rays have to notify MLB by May 31 of their new name (dropping Devil) and color scheme (blue and yellow?) but don't plan to announce it until after the season.

The SP Times has been speculating on the blue/yellow for a while. They need to get some investigative reporters on it. Seems like blue is a lock at the very least.

The Little League team I'm coaching is the Devil Rays, and I kind of like our green hats with the green TB, with the royal blue, white and black. Not bad at all. I too would prefer they keep green as their primary, but it sounds like that's not an option.

The Little League team I'm coaching is the Devil Rays, and I kind of like our green hats with the green TB, with the royal blue, white and black. Not bad at all. I too would prefer they keep green as their primary, but it sounds like that's not an option.

Hey! I was drafted into coaching little league in '99. My team got stuck with the Devil Rays name, which at the time meant black and purple uniforms. Yuck. But go junior Rays!

While I'm not a fan of the exact way the Rays use their current colors, I agree in wishing they'd keep the blue and green scheme. One of the colors needs to be much lighter than it is, possibly even nearly pastel, just to give better tonal contrast. But mostly green with blue highlights is a unique color scheme that makes me think of the Gulf Coast. Royal blue and yellow will probably look great, if the Rays go that way, but that scheme will lack much of the character that green and blue, done right, can give the team.

20082614447.png

Well... I got my tickets already for September 30th, last Devil Rays game ever

So the Devil Rays name will die on the anniversary of when I was born. Wow... that's just freaky.

Things like this really make you appreciate the circle of life.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So the Devil Rays name will die on the anniversary of when I was born. Wow... that's just freaky.

Thinks like this really make you appreciate the circle of life.

Against a team who's inaugural season took place the year you were born

That circle keeps growing

(that's what she said!)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

That is my son's birthday as well. I'll ask him to drink a toast to you. However, it will probably be milk or juice, since he'll only be 6.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Why can't the GM just ell the people who are makin this an issue to get stuffed like good old Lou did in New Jersey with the Devils. Every time somone brings up the name "Devils" there he tells them to get stuffed and tells them the name refers to the mythical Jersey Devil and not the one who lives in Hell. No offence to the religous people here, but seriously just because the name says "Devil" in it, doesn't mean it is assosiated with Devil worshiping. Stop ruining it for everyone else. Not every person on this eath is Christian. Devils Ray is the name of a living creature in the ocean, it is not made up nor does it have to do with old Lucifer himself.

(P.S. This is directed at the people who do bring up these stupid arguments when ever the word Devil is talked about)

Devil Rays is a horrible name for a sports team, not because of any religious reasons, but because it just sounds terrible. Sting Rays, Rays, Watch, or Turf Katzz would all make better names.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

yeah, they should use tropical colors and be like the sun rays.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

theyve been calling THEMSELVES "Rays" for a year now. watch a tv broadcast, you wont see "devil" anywhere.

the more I think about the new "sting-em dogs"(which is just a chili cheese dog) at the ballpark, the more I think they may suprise us with the Sting Rays name......*crosses fingers*

and ballwonk was 100% correct with the green/blue contrast deal. change that blue to a sky blue type color and the Rays have some of the best in the league. picture it.

SigReflect.png

I'll bring this out again...I did this a couple of years ago:

TampaBayDevilRays_Prop_03.jpg

And IMO - as a Christian myself - I don't have any kind of problem with the "Devil" part of the name, other than the fact that I think the name "Manta Rays" or "Stingrays" would have been better names to begin with.

So, after they make this mistake, three of the five teams in the AL East will have blue as a primary color, and one will have it as a secondary (with most of their fanbase wishing it was a primary.) Way to go, TB!

And IMO - as a Christian myself - I don't have any kind of problem with the "Devil" part of the name, other than the fact that I think the name "Manta Rays" or "Stingrays" would have been better names to begin with.

I second your comment, and if the D-Rays some out and become the Stingrays, you wouldn't have grief coming from my direction, I like the name and I think it'll be popular as long as they make an identity that fits it the right way.

UGH! They should just trash the whole Rays thing entirely. Move on to the next nickname because any variation of the current one just sounds minor league to me. They need to develop a more major league identity. I always thought that the name "Tarpons" would fit much better.

Its all pretty worthless because its not like they'll keep the team for too long anyway. If the Marlins could win two World Series in a decade and still be on the verge of relocating, the "Devil Rays" don't have chance.

Archived