Spring Training Photos - New Hats and Jerseys

DGivens87

Sorry if someone has already asked this but...What's with The D-Rays and the Dodger blue? Green, black, and royal blue? Is it some sort of weird preview of their planned new scheme? Or did they always have blue highlights and I just never noticed until they made it so obvious?

Supposedly the blue is just part of their marketing campaign and not necessarily a preview of the change. New Era asked them to add it to the hat and the decision about adding it to that and the campaign was made something like 6 months ago.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if someone has already asked this but...What's with The D-Rays and the Dodger blue? Green, black, and royal blue? Is it some sort of weird preview of their planned new scheme? Or did they always have blue highlights and I just never noticed until they made it so obvious?

Supposedly the blue is just part of their marketing campaign and not necessarily a preview of the change. New Era asked them to add it to the hat and the decision about adding it to that and the campaign was made something like 6 months ago.

But they HAVE always had their blue. They're just increasing the amount right now.

Looks like Jason Schmidt's not wearing the new hats. You can see his teammate next to him is, because the brim of the hat has the gray outline, where Schmidt's does not.

JMqEyODE.jpg

Yeah, I'm not sure how much if at all the MLB enforces wearing the BP hats. I'm pretty sure Tony La Russa always wore his Sunday Home Alternate Cap in place of the similar BP hats the last few years, and I saw a video highlight of this year already, and I think he just had the standard home cap on. Then again, he's a manager.

The Rays have always had a slight bit of blue on their unis ever since the green update around the year 2000.

You can see the slight outline here

AC-TAMDEV-ALT1.jpg

and here

pMLB2-1826999dt.jpg

The trim has definitely been blue for years on the Devil Rays most recent look, but it was impossible to see unless it was in person.

I think one of the piping stripes might even be blue, but it's been a few years since I've seen it up close.

57409633zc1.jpg

71645173zy0.jpg

71489929ek9.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I am not thrilled with the new BP jerseys at all. Just like last years All Star BP jerseys, everything on the front of the jerseys seems TOO LOW, and most of the left breast logos seem too big. I think they're going to drive the equipment managers crazy, too. There's a shot of Leo Mazzone in yesterdays online Baltimore Sun, and it looks like his back numbers are already coming off.

1171303621_3656.jpg

I went to Sports Authority today, and I saw blue versions of this very had there...I had no idea that the Sox had two different ST/BP hats :huh:

Also, looks like there aren't any names on the back of the Sox ST/BP jerseys.

1171826177_7714.jpg

1171827374_4365.jpg

5273stlouiscardinalslgkf7.png

:cry:

Is that the old St.L logo?? (Note the "T")

I know its a little different than the current StL logo.

I think it looks more similar to the old StL logo.

BTW: that D-Backs cap is slick, coolest looking one yet IMO.

This came up towards the end of last season.

The Cardinals only have one official STL logo, and in that logo the T has straight sides.

However, all of thier caps (not helmets) have a T that has the angled edges. It was that way since at least last year, and probably for a good few years now. It wasn't that long ago that you could actually find a couple different STL designs being used on the same items (though, I think they've always just had one official logo).

Kind of hard to explain since, like I said, they only have one official logo (which is different from like the Yankees who officially have two NYs).

I prefer the angled T myself.

Thanks for clearin that up for me. I also prefer the angled "T." I LOVE the old StL logo.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The Rays have always had a slight bit of blue on their unis ever since the green update around the year 2000.

You can see the slight outline here

pMLB2-1826999dt.jpg

Thanks AstroBull and Survival. I looked for jersey pics but didn't find clear ones like these (not sure why I didn't try MLB.com). The blue piping (the outside line next to the green) is much more obvious here. Even though I know it's there, I still forget when I see it from a distance and think they're just white and green. I remember being very surprised the first time I visited Tampa Bay and saw the jerseys inside Tropicana. Not sure whether I think that makes their current look worse or better. I agree with most people that think the green and blue need more contrast.

It surprises me how many people don't think blue exists in there current set. I knew it was at least on the cap.... and their jackets have blue in them, too, although many people think it's a purple holdover.

Now, to get back on track, saw the Cubs, White Sox, Red Sox, Yankees, Tigers, Dodgers, Braves and Cardinals BP caps today in person and again I must say that they are comfortable, but I still couldn't bring myself to buy one. That red flap is just too weird (for me)... even at 20 percent off. And since I was able to get my hands on quite a few, I can say the New Era quality issues are still a factor.

I believe the piping is supposed to line up, but on most of the caps I saw it didn't and the distance was uneven from one side to the other. Not sure why they'd add something that draws attention to their inconsistencies.

here are the Braves BP uniforms. I couldn't copy the images so I'll jsut give you the link to the gallery. It's only 6 pictures long and gives you different angles.

http://lpe.ajc.com/gallery/view/sports/2007/0207/0218braves

Thanks for the pictures, Rocky....sort of. I really wanted to see them, and you've satisfied my curiousity. However, that's about the only positive thing I can say. Ick.

The jerseys are alright, don't get me wrong. About as good as can be expected from this template.

But the caps? :puke::puke::puke:

The simple, timeless A has been graffiti-ed with the pointless red stroke. Combine that with the red bill-piping, the red "flap," and the red piping above it (why not go for white piping, and at least make it look like someone put some effort into it...), and you have a hat that is, in a word, craptacular.

Looks like a Braves or Nascar fan hat you can get at Walmart.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

394228145_8e2bca9a60.jpg

That view really shows what I think they were going for on the side panels. The continuation of the stripe around the bill to form a curved shape. But when the colors are different and they fill in the panel, it fails.

That view really shows what I think they were going for on the side panels. The continuation of the stripe around the bill to form a curved shape. But when the colors are different and they fill in the panel, it fails.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the picture in your reply, but before I read your message.

In addition to the reason you say it fails, it also fails from pretty much any other angle because the piping on the bill APPEARS to taper off when looking at it from the front, so you don't really get the continuation effect.

Archived