New Jersey Nets

SmoothieX

The Nets are playing a little gamesmanship with Toronto- Raptor fans are being encouraged to wear all red to playoff games and in fact were given free red T-shirts at today's game. Thus, the Nets decided to wear their alternate reds to try to "reverse" the effect. Seems to be working too!

It actually looks kind of strange at the ACC today, an arena full of 20 000 people wearing red and cheering for the...white team over the red one.

The Nets are playing a little gamesmanship with Toronto- Raptor fans are being encouraged to wear all red to playoff games and in fact were given free red T-shirts at today's game. Thus, the Nets decided to wear their alternate reds to try to "reverse" the effect. Seems to be working too!

It actually looks kind of strange at the ACC today, an arena full of 20 000 people wearing red and cheering for the...white team over the red one.

Yeah, when I turned the game on, I was thinking wtf are they wearing red for? The whole arena is full of red and the Nets choose to wear red. Whatever, as long as they play well (which they are doing.)

-E.A.R.

Y'Know I actually don't mind marketing gimmicks like this (even though they have no effect on the actual games) so long as the gimmicks aren't over the top like everyone in the crowd waving around nets or something ridiculous like that.

Rallying around a particular colored uni or waving a 'Terrible Towel' or 'Homer Hankie' is actually nice to see, espcecially if everyone in the arena is doing it. There's nothing more annoying than watching a Heat game for example and seeing EVERYONE in white and that one guy wearing yellow or orange just to be different.

ESPN said that the Nets wearing red had nothin to do with Raptors fans wearing red but the fact that the player luv to wear the red on the road. I wont be surprise if they wear the red the entire playoff like they did with grey in 2002

B)-->

QUOTE(Billy B @ Saturday, April 21st, 2007 - 14:12:35)

Have the Nets always worn black shoes for the playoffs?

On the road yes they have always worn black sneakers since 2002

I hope they wear the black shoes at home as well. They only did that the first playoff run. In recent years, they've opted for white shoes/red socks.

I got the Bulls/Heat on now. Nothing says NBA playoffs like seeing the Bulls bust out the black.

Heat are wearing black shoes today -- maybe white at home?

6 of 8 playoff teams in the East wear red. Heat and Nets (have already worn red alts) Raptors, Bulls, Cavs and maybe Pistons if they wear their reds. Cavs might wear navy and bulls might wear black, but man there sure are a lot of red jersies in the east.

Toss in the Hawks (though that might change) and Sixers alt, and I can't wait to see if milwaukee joins the bunch with a red alt. That would be 9 of 15 teams that wear red.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

The Cavs are definitely going to wear their Navy alts when they get the chance. I don't think they even touched the reds during last year's playoffs and they even wear the throwbacks and alts more than their primary reds.

Other than that, eveyrone else is a crapshoot.

I fear the Wizards will break out their gold-and-black eyesores as well.

Thankfully, we'll have to endure them just twice as Cleveland sweeps this series with a total victory margin in triple-digits.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I'd say that the Bulls will wear red on the road. They usually stick to tradition, and I'd be surprised if they wore their alts once in the playoff. They've worn red every road playoff game the las two years.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Houston was looking pretty sweet with the black shoes as well last night. I'm betting the Bulls will stick to red in the playoffs. they've had that black jersey dating back to the glory years and haven't busted it out in the playoffs that I can recall.

From the Toronto Star:

As he looked out into a sea of red, all Richard Jefferson could think was, "Man, this feels like home."

The New Jersey forward, one of the more colourful members of the team, got a nice little dig in at the Air Canada Centre crowd, which was handed red T-shirts as it arrived for the Raptors' playoff opener yesterday against the red-clad Nets.

"The biggest shock for us was how much support we got from the Toronto fans," joked Jefferson, who lit up the Raptors for a game-high 28 points. "I think that was exciting, the fact they all came out and wore red to show us a lot of love."

The visiting Nets got to choose which of their road uniforms to wear and probably figured red would tweak the fans just a little bit. And fans should get used to it because, according to Raptor officials, New Jersey now has to wear red on the road for the rest of the playoffs.

"This might be the first time in my playoff situation where I've ever seen the opposing crowd come out and wear the same colour as the opposing team," Jefferson said. "That right there gave us a little jolt of energy to start off the game and I'd like to thank all the Toronto people for that."

and from the Toronto Sun:

Nets Get Surprise Lift From Red-Shirted Fans

That sea of red at the Air Canada Centre yesterday looked great, but the desired effect may have missed the mark.

Especially when the New Jersey Nets showed up wearing their optional road jerseys, which also happen to be red.

With the Raptors in white, the crowd looked very pro-New Jersey. Whether the decision to wear those uniforms was a coincidence or not, no one was saying, but the irony of the situation was not lost on Nets' Richard Jefferson, who even had a little fun with it.

"I think the biggest shock was how much support we got from the Toronto fans," Jefferson said, managing to keep a straight face. "I think that was exciting, the fact that they all came out and wore red and showed us a lot of love.

"I think this might be the first time in my playoff situation where I've ever seen the opposing fans come out and wear the same colour as the opposing team. That, right there, kind of gave us a jolt of energy to start the game and I'd like to thank all the Toronto fans for that."

Every fan entering the arena received a free red T-shirt courtesy of McDonalds bearing the slogan: "Let's go Red. Let's Go Raptors".

The Nets normally wear blue on the road, but introduced the red as a third jersey this year and have worn them only a handful of times

Archived