Odd jersey choices

rinkraider

When I go to a game, I'm always really interested to see what names fans decide to put on their personalized jerseys. The obscure ones are best, I think. I still can't get over the Ranger fan who wore a #18 Bill Berg jersey. The only explanation I could think of was that the guy was actually named Bill Berg. Why else would you want to identify yourself with a slow fourth-line stiff who didn't score, fight or kill penalties?

What are some weird choices you've seen in your local arenas?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the good ol' days, someone at a North Starts game was wearing a very sharp, well done (lettering, etc.) Ulf Dahlen jersey. A somewhat odd choice, but the reason I am putting this here is that the jersey that with lettering probably cost a couple hundred in the early 1990s, on the nameplate had "ULFIE." That struck me as a poor way to spend that kind of money.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Back in the good ol' days, someone at a North Starts game was wearing a very sharp, well done (lettering, etc.) Ulf Dahlen jersey. A somewhat odd choice, but the reason I am putting this here is that the jersey that with lettering probably cost a couple hundred in the early 1990s, on the nameplate had "ULFIE." That struck me as a poor way to spend that kind of money.

I know someone who bought (from one of the Reebok clearances) a Martin Biron Flyers jersey that says "MARTYTOOF". I think it's some kind of running joke he had with a radio station in Buffalo.

Anyway, I saw some great Rangers jerseys at AHL games--Dave Karpa (In Wilkes-Barre when he played there) and JF Labbe (In Syracuse when he played there).

1zgyd8w.jpg

Back when the Pirates had Derek Bell and he went into "operation shutdown" some guy in the crowd had a #14 jersey with O. Shutdown on the back. I'm all for making fun of overpriced talent, but Derek Bell wasn't like a Bonds to Pittsburgh or worth the jersey price. It would have been a funny t-shirt, but it's not my money.

A few Penguin games, I've seen the 60s Powder blue jerseys with 66 on them and I've seen Mario jerseys with "The Best" on the nameplate. The Penguin jersey that took the cake for me was someone with 00 and Iceburgh (the mascot).

KISSwall09.jpg

Back when the Pirates had Derek Bell and he went into "operation shutdown" some guy in the crowd had a #14 jersey with O. Shutdown on the back. I'm all for making fun of overpriced talent, but Derek Bell wasn't like a Bonds to Pittsburgh or worth the jersey price. It would have been a funny t-shirt, but it's not my money.

YoQuieroDerekBell: do i strike you as the sort of individual who would hang a picture ever

i mean, i batted .174 one year and refused to hit in spring training the next year because i felt i didn't need to prove myself. i retired early from a multimillion-dollar job and decided to drive 35 mph over the speed limit with a crack pipe in my car. do you really think i'm the sort of person to look at a wall and think to myself "this wall really needs sprucing up!"

http://dugout.progressiveboink.com/archive/jon87.html

1zgyd8w.jpg

I knew a guy who had a Bills replica personalized...but they only let you put 10 letters on replicas, and his surname's 11 letters long...sadly, he settled on J DOG :(

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

One of the most comical jerseys I've seen at a sports event was when I went to Cleveland for a Ravens-Brownies game, and some dude was wearing a Kellen Winslow jersey that had "Soldier 80" on the back. CLASSIC!

Aaron Johnson Columbus Blue Jackets authentic worn by this girl in her mid twenties. I could only guess that she either knew him growing up or was dating him because why else would you have his jersey.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Aaron Johnson Columbus Blue Jackets authentic worn by this girl in her mid twenties. I could only guess that she either knew him growing up or was dating him because why else would you have his jersey.

Maybe he scored? *LOL* I think women tend to be more outgoing of showing who they actually follow on a jersey. I could see a female wearing a jersey with a fourth line jobber more than I can a guy. Though I have to say, it's kind of tempting to get a LA Kings 92-93 black jersey with Schuchuk(?) on the back. Heck any guy who gets knocked out in the 3rd period and comes back and scores the game winner in double OT, he deserves a jersey! *S* Ah, the memories! Then I again, I was the one who had cheap replicas personalized with #4 Don Slaught on my Rangers jersey, and #9 Mickey Hatcher on my Dodgers.

I was at game 3 of the Bulls/Pistons series and a guy a few rows ahead of me was wearing a Viktor Khryapa jersey. It looked to be authentic too. Of course this led to the obvious, "that's probably Viktor himself," jokes.

At a Bills game someone with a Ted Washington jersey only the namplate was BIG FAT TED.

At a Sabres game PHUKIEUX with the number, of course...69.

I saw someone at a 49ers game with a jersey that had "SHLONG" on the nameplate.

I can't believe that people find those jerseys funny and even spend money to personalize them.

Archived