Vancouver Canucks Concept

js °

Since I just recently learned on here that the original Johnny Canuck was a WWII-era pilot ... basically Canada's version of Captian America, not some Paul Bunyan-esque character of campfires ... I had to put something together for this (I've been looking for reasons to put pencil to paper more often). I approached it as though the word Canuck simply meant HERO (who is Canadian).

So with that thought in mind, I created this concept as a reinvention of Vancouver's identity. In the goggles, I dropped in an homage to the original Canucks logo.

Keep in mind this is a reinvention, not really a plan for what I think the club SHOULD or COULD do ... just coming at this thing from another angle. I'd love to get some feedback guys.

vancouver_id_01.jpg

oh yeah, and heres some reference for ya:

"Johnny Canuck was a hero without super powers, alien planet birth, or divine ancestry. While Superman and Nelvana of the Northern Lights battled enemies at home, Johnny Canuck was Canada's champion of the Second World War, serving as an air force captain and secret agent."

stamp_johnnycanuck.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, that's some good stuff. I had no idea about the whole "Johnny Canuck" thing.

I love the subtle "V" and the cleverly-dropped original logo...but I think I would have kept that a secret and see if someone figured it out.

Only thing I see that could use some work is the wordmark, and maybe an alternate logo to add into the mix. Other than that, this is top-notch.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

The jerseys look too similar to the Hartford Whalers or Plymouth Whalers (OHL) IMO

WOW! It's great to see such a fresh idea. The goggles and the "v" are my favorite parts. An overall solid design.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Ok, I know nothing of Vancouver save for it's location on the Pacific Coast of Canada and some of its sports teams (Lions, Whitecaps, etc.)... but I would be lined up outside my local jersey spot the day that came out. I didn't even notice the goggles at first (although I did notice the V) and now I love it even more.

I like it, but it kind of looks like a business logo. I'm not sure why, but it kinda does to me. I think its really cool how you've incorporated the V and the rink and stick into the logo, but I'm not too keen on the face shadows. Other than that, I think its a really good concept.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I F*@ing LOVE it. I don't think I've seen a better Canucks concept and I really love mine! LOL

Great work I think the jerseys could use a little more work, as previously stated... very Hartford'esq, but none the less amazing.

Fantastic idea, possibly the best Canucks concept I've seen on this board. You need to send this idea to the Canucks organisation. ^_^

Best Canucks concept? I don't think I've seen a better hockey concept.

My only critical suggestions would be that the face isn't all that; needs stronger definition and needs in some way to look more square-jawed heroic, more WWI-era, or more Canadian. Not sure how one does any of those things, but at least one of them needs doing. He looks a bit like some kind of late-1990s post-grunge frat brother with that wide face and goatee shadow. And that this concept is thematically one-dimensional right now; it needs to be fleshed out more with a stronger wordmark and some kind of secondary mark that can balance the very serious-looking primary logo with a bit of whimsy. Perhaps something with a flowing aviator's scarf? Not sure what this should be, but the awesome aviator logo you've created needs something a bit more whimsical in the team identity to balance it a bit.

Still, I wish my favorite hockey teams had logos and uniforms as good as this concept is right now. And I love how you've incorporated the V and the old Canucks logo -- first things I saw when I was trying to puzzle out what this aviator dude was doing on a Canucks jersey, and even without knowing why the aviator was there the little goggle-reflection Canucks logo and the V had me sold. (Yes, I look at the pictures first.)

20082614447.png

wow guys ... thanks for the great feedback. wow.

So based on the feedback, I made a couple changes that I think improved this thing a bit overall. I haven't touched the wordmark yet, but I agree it needs work. It should be themed much more in a WWII era propaganda poster way (but in a subtle fashion). I made the face a bit more defined, I think making a little more heroic and statuesque.

The biggest change here was the uniforms ... I agreed there was too much grey, calling the Whalers too mind, rather than the original Canucks color scheme, which was unique and owned by them alone. So, I did a bit of 'modernized' designing on this uniform ... getting a little conceptual. So the arm stripes would form the same V lockup that you see on the main crest, and the side panels also allow for a bottom hem stripe (somehow with a bottom breakup it feels like a hockey sweater to me, without it, the look is very 'football on ice' to me).

Oh an the shoulder crest is a Canuck colored version of the RCAF emblem on planes in WWII ... seen HERE.

Let me know what you guys think of the changes, and thanks for the compliments and critiques so far.

vancouver_id_02.jpg

oh yeah, also ... I'm planning a secondary logo of Johnny's profile facing right inside of a C (which will actually be the same RCAF emblem with the facing cutting off the right side to form the C).

If you look at just the positive space of the logo, I was careful to keep the highlighted area of the face at this angle be useable as a profile for the secondary. So it would be the same exact face. I want to try and wrap this idea up soon so you guys can take a look at it.

I like it, but it kind of looks like a business logo. I'm not sure why, but it kinda does to me. I think its really cool how you've incorporated the V and the rink and stick into the logo, but I'm not too keen on the face shadows. Other than that, I think its a really good concept.

Bayne, I think I know what you mean, but do you think its more corporate looking than this logo:

old_canucks_logo.gif

I'm really not trying to be a jackass with this question, I'm really just curious about your thoughts on this. I know the C rink logo has serious historical and sentimental value, but if you unplug from that and just look at them as images. Just curious what you think.

Outstanding. One of the better concepts I've seen on these boards - I would buy one of these if they did it. The airman is a really intriguing solution to the "What is a Canuck?" conundrum, and a WWII-themed scheme sounds unique and intriguing.

oh yeah, also ... I'm planning a secondary logo of Johnny's profile facing right inside of a C (which will actually be the same RCAF emblem with the facing cutting off the right side to form the C).

I don't think you need the profile - the RCAF emblem shaped to form a C sounds great on its own.

Man ... thanks so much guys for all the compliments. I also got the uniforms in slightly larger sizes here ... let me know what you think:

vancouver_uni_02.jpg

I don't think you need the profile - the RCAF emblem shaped to form a C sounds great on its own.

Yeah I actually had that originally, but when executed ... it resembled both the Cubs C ... and the old Colorado Rockies C a bit too much. It felt like it didn't belong, because the concept has a home elsewhere. I could be wrong and it might work, that was just my opinion.

Archived