2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Final grades and short comments:

teams that deserve an A

Boston - A+ (complete upgrade from last season)

Columbus - A+ (one of the best upgrades this summer.)

San Jose - A+ (if nhl 08 is to be believed, this is the third best upgrade of the summer. i liked their set as a third, but never cared for it full time. The orange is growing on me a bit.)

Chicago - A (Resisted the urge to mess up their jerseys)

Montreal - A (Same situation with Chicago, New York R, New Jersey and Detroit)

New Jersey - A (One of the meh to one of the best)

New York Rangers - A (basically same design, the off centering isn't a big enough change to lose points)

Detroit - A (the only real change was moving the C to the left. They've done this before so it doesn't bother me)

Carolina A- (The shoulder piping is a step in the right direction, however it looks a bit unfinished.)

Phoenix - A - (red shoulder stripe upgrades the white, the elimination of hemline stipes downgrades the set)

Anaheim - A- (I didn't like their look last year, but after seeing the other monstrocities, these look really good, except for the stript disconnect which it lost points on)

Los Angeles - A- (retained a decent design, loses points on the loss of hemline stripe)

Teams that deserve a B Grade

Philadelphia B+ (the more i see it the more i kinda like it, would like to see some hemline stripes and it lost points on no orange primary. other wise this is close to an A grade)

Vancouver - B+ (the wordmark keeps this from getting an A grade)

Toronto - B (i know people didn't like the silver and TML, but with out it it looks really plain. Especially with out the hemline stripes)

Washington B (an oddity of the bunch, its a few tweaks from having an A grade)

Dallas - B- (overall decent look, don't care for the college look, minimal hemstripes and lack of green on the black. Very close to a C grade)

Teams that deserve a C grade

Minnesota C+ (the empty piping and lack of hemstripes on the red dropped the wild from a B grade to a C grade)

Pittsburgh - C (i pretty much give the same grade to pit, tb and ott since they are the same template, 2/3 upgraded logos and no hemline stripes to break up the solid monotny)

Tampa - C (see pit)

Ottawa - C (see Pit)

St. Louis - C- (too many design issues here. the bleeding of colors, an issue i had with the other set and most obvious the garish piping.)

Teams that deserve a D grade

Colorado - D- (complete downgrade from what they had. needs stripes on the blue/burgandy to break up the bleeding of colors. side panels need to go.)

Florida - D- (piping, no red jersey - complete downgrade from an already a set that was a downgrade to begin with. the 96 jerseys was their best)

Calgary - D- (ugly socks, ugly piping, unnecessary flags. Just a complete mess of a jersey, that only Patsox could design)

Teams that deserve an F grade

Buffalo - F - (Will not get anything higher until that slug is gone)

New York I - F - (i'm probably a bit harsh on the them, but Wang and co ruined the islanders look. unacceptable)

Nashville F - (just plain ugly)

Atlanta F - (I actually didn't think it was possible for them to make themselves look worse than they already looked.)

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Yeesh. I've been preoccupied with other stuff the last couple weeks and missed a spate of sweater unveilings. (Can we still call them sweaters out of convention?) The teams that look best are the ones that did as little as possible to deviate from what they were wearing. Kudos to them for having the integrity NOT to allow RBK to come in and crap all over their team's look.

As a Flyers fan, I am disgusted at what I'll be forced to watch and cheer on this year. I was excited for moving on to this year and leaving last season as a bad dream that probably didn't happen - I was so busy with a newborn that I blinked and damn if it wasn't already summer. :rolleyes: But looking at the crap the team's wearing this year makes me sad. No way in hell am I buying one of those train wrecks.

The only solace I have been able to take is the knowledge that so many other teams look so bad as well (looking your way, Nashville... Carolina... Washington... St. Louis... Dallas... Colorado...). Crikey! Piping for piping's sake, weird polygons of contrast color, vertical stripes. If the performance is actually better, than that'll make for a better game and this stuff will be tempered a little bit. But honestly - not one team came out of this with a measurably better uniform. Compare that to the smart updates in the past by the Sharks, the Stars, the Coyotes - to name 3 quickly.

Oh well, it isn't a total loss. I was shopping online for new inline wheels, and I caught a closeout sale and grabbed a white Blues sweater for 25% off. Not a Blues fan, but those were some classy threads they were wearing. Until this year. :cry:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Pfft, you shoulda bought the white! :P

I second that, the white is beautiful!

See, it wouldn't last two seconds before it got some big stain on it... hence why I prefer the darker jerseys. ^_^

Stain on white looks like dirt. Stain on blue looks like... wet stuff. :P

Wade-sig.png

Are the sleeve and sock stripes now copper instead of orange, or is my monitor way, way off?

They've been copper since 1996.

Heh, I can safely say I never even noticed that. I thought it might have been another new wrinkle. I apologize.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Pfft, you shoulda bought the white! :P

I second that, the white is beautiful!

See, it wouldn't last two seconds before it got some big stain on it... hence why I prefer the darker jerseys. ^_^

Stain on white looks like dirt. Stain on blue looks like... wet stuff. :P

Have to remember, the authentics come with some kind of water repellant... stuff... so heres hoping it works!!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

my question is, why did san jose adopt the new pattern over last years. last years would go along the same guidelines of the 'new look'.

well, here's something i'd like to see what others think. winners and losers of the rbk project:

Winners:

Boston - Grade - A+: The overhaul of the logo/jersey is fantastic. The home is a 10, the away isn't as strong but it's atleast a 7.

Columbus - Grade - B: The straight lines work for this team. They finally have a respectable logo and killed off the bug. one of my favorite edge jerseys

Florida - Grade - B: The design is very nice. Too bad the logo wasn't updated and the spot around the rbk logo is jacked. Other than that, it's nice to see they actually changed the inaugural jersey.

Minnesota - Grade - B-: The away jersey is one of my favorites. The home jersey looks great red, too bad for that awful logo though. I would have rather had an "M" style of the northstars logo.

Montreal - Grade - A: Another favorite of the rbk remakes. This is the only jerseys I was 'ok' with having the old stripe pattern.

New York Islanders - Grade - A: I actually like this one. I'm a fan of the old ones, but the overall between the home and away is equally as strong. Its something the other jerseys dont have, stability as a group. I like these alot.

Philadelphia - Grade - B-: Much like the Islanders, I like these as a couple. Alone they aren't as strong but the franchise needed a change. I am a fan of the old ones but it's nice to see a simple variation instead of something all over the place. Atleast the didnt use the 3d logo...yikes.

Tampa Bay - Grade - B+: Though they share the same temp as Pittsburgh and Ottawa, the new logo and design actually works for them. Congrats.

Toronto - Grade - A+: Very classic. They lost the bottom stripe and still look amazing. Easily a 10.

Washington - Grade - A:I love that they brought back the old style red, white, blue look. I wish they would have kept the building or the unused eagle as a patch though.

Neither:

Atlanta - Grade - C: Yes, the home jersey is awful with the sleeve, but they finally have one logo and both jerseys look much better than those of the past.

Chicago - Grade - B: It's the same jersey, but it's a classic and it looks very nice. I wish they would have atleast removed the stripes on the bottom end of the jersey.

Detroit - Grade - B: Detroit wins again. See chicago -.... I like the throw back to the "C" of the past. But I find it extremely unnecessary. Choose a different font or shrink your logo slightly. There's no reason to be the black sheep of the league. Whatever, the jersey stays the same.

Los Angeles - Grade - B-: Not too far off from last year, but not nearly as busy. That's the only reason its where its at. I like it, but I wish it were gold and purple.

St. Louis - Grade - B: Close to last years jersey, the home jersey is fantastic. Last years away was much better though

Losers:

Anaheim - Grade - C: Same as 2007, should have brought back the duck mask

Buffalo - Grade - C+: The slug has to go. The jersey design is very nice

Calgary - Grade - C: There's something about the sleevs the are off. I like the general colors and face of the jersey. I cant pinpoint my problem.

Carolina - Grade - D: This was an opportunity to leave that design in the past. They decided to add shoulder stripes and we're supposed to worship the fallen whalers. please.

Colorado - Grade - C-: The only part that is clean is the collar. The general design resembles that of a two year old. It's very blocky and straight lined, highly contrasted with the last version.

Dallas - Grade - F: I couldn't be more disappointed with this team. The last jersey design was amazing. I'm very disappointed. "Dallas" is lame.

Edmonton - Grade - D: I'm sad to see the traditional design leave but thats not why I'm giving this thumbs down. The overall design could have been much better. The sleeves are ridiculous.

Nashville - Grade - C-: The home set looks decent without the white box on the arms. If it were blue, we'd be singing a different tune. The white jersey is plain, it looks like a practice jersey.

New Jersey - Grade - C: If edmonton couldn't keep their old style, why should NJ? I'm not making a big deal of it but they could have come up with something very clever with this opportunity, instead they take the easy way out.....and do nothing.

New York Rangers - Grade - C: From what i've seen, I like that they kept the stlye but I've only seen jerseys with 'Rangers' on it. New York is no longer on the font? Crazy

Ottawa - Grade - C+: the logo is much better, too bad I cant say the same for the jersey design. It looks like they put too much effort in the logo. The jersey is boring, I'd rather them use the old home jersey with an away version. that'd be amazing

Phoenix - Grade - D: Not enough. We went from Picasso Coyote to minor league knock off. Now this, its not exactly a compromise.

Pittsburgh - Grade - C: I thought last years were ok. These are lumped with Ottawa. It's flawed by the jersey design. Nothing against the team or logo. Just thought they would spend more time on the jersey that may be one of the more featured NHL clubs of the future, thats all....

San Jose - Grade - C+: I LOVE the new logos. It's a shame they used a basic stripe pattern for the new jerseys. They have a modern designed logo on old school template. it's not going to work.

Vancouver - Grade - F: Sorry Canucks. Maybe next go around? The colors are ok. The font and style is a mess.

I'm sure i'll get criticism, but post what you think. My views are from a fans perspective on the league as a whole. I tried to weigh the pros and cons of the teams and kept my hometown team choice aside. I wanted to be as fair as possible and had nothing to do with rivals or previous comments. I'd like to see what you think... What could be improved? Or ideas for third jerseys?

I wish Atlanta would have used the baby blue color jersey with the Away jersey design. I dont know if the "T" Thrasher logo would look better than the bird/stick but I do know that the one sleeve design has to go. Its almost bad as a gradient

This is some of the most flawed analysis I have ever seen. EVER.

The Rangers have only had "New York" on the front of their jerseys once, it was after 9/11. Other than that it's been "Rangers" for as long as I've been alive.

Florida gets an A? You like the Flyers but the Pens are bad? What's the difference? Sure, it's a different template, but it's still just a basic template with little uniqueness to it.

dude get ready for the torches and the pitchforks cause these guys are relentless although, I will take something back, the blues unis actually are quite nice but i still think they should ditch the navy....1 color too many...blue, white and yellow that should be it......and just to make a corrction, the rangers acutally had "new york" on their jersey for an entire season in the mid 80's....ill get the exact year but they have had it more than once......i also think and this is for especially baseball and basketball and some hockey that the away team should have the name of the city on their travel unis and nicknames at home.......and just 1 more baseball reference.....those blue jay uni's have got to go....seriously......those things are as ugly as the new dallas star unis

The Avs unis look much better on a player then they do on the stand.

Yeah - this is true - I was lucky enough to attend the Avs scrimmage (Burgundy / White game) today. The white unis are much better - but I always thought that anyway. While watching the game, the group I was with agreed the classic Avs "look and feel" is definitely still in tact.

Actually, it was black on the sleeves. I'm glad they dumped it, really.

Many of those jerseys look so much worse in action.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

anyone else disappointed columbus went with the same color blue for the shoulders? the darker navy for shoulders on the old 3rds is what made them look so sexy, the new ones look bland(er)

No, because it was Black, not a darker Navy.

Superfluous.

K i really hate calgarys socks... its a sad sad day when you have to look for the front of your hockey socks when you put them on... in those action shots... i think the canes, jackets, blues, and amazingly the coyotes all look great... nashville is surprsingly ok but maybe its just the angle

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

K i really hate calgarys socks... its a sad sad day when you have to look for the front of your hockey socks when you put them on... in those action shots... i think the canes, jackets, blues, and amazingly the coyotes all look great... nashville is surprsingly ok but maybe its just the angle

I can't wait for the players to start getting angry and wearing the socks backwards or sideways in protest ;D

Some new unis in action...

capt.af5679fcedae4adbbaf2e82ec02d40f6.predators_flames_hockey_jmc105.jpg

capt.66e1ed23cfd145199a6a6a7ecf1a7f2f.predators_blue_jackets_hockey_ohjl104.jpg

capt.d8f11d49b3c74dfe8e8a62788d029b4b.capitals_hurricanes_hockey_ncgb102.jpg

capt.68eb842ea97b4f5ea49d5e89080e2184.coyotes_ducks_hockey_ana102.jpg

capt.7a091195a98a4e3c9546d5abeab7e01d.thrashers_blues_hockey_mowc104.jpg

So, of these ten teams, I'd say Washington, Calgary, Florida, and Nashville jump out as new sets. The other four, though different, don't jump out with a quick glance.

And Washington is for the better. Florida is...just kinda whatever, IMO. Nashville is okay, it's mostly just the templated thing that kills me. Unfortunatley, I see Calgary as a trainwreck though. When they wear the white it's gonna be worse.

Oh, and I guess the shoulders on Phoenix are bold enough that they jump out, but because the rest of the look remains in tact, they don't appear to be a big change either on a quick glance.

So I decided to jump the gun and found my moms camera and took some pics. These pics are of the Leafs Authentic size 46 home jersey.

Here is me modeling the jersey.

DSC00236.jpg

This is no offense to you, at all, in any way whatsoever, but that jersey looks like the woman's style. They're more awful than I'd already imagined. :(

Archived