2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

"I hate the piping on these new crappy jerseys!!! What the hell were they thinking?!?!? Where're the hemlines? This sucks!!!"

*Sharks unveil hem-lined, non-piping jerseys*

"WHAT THE F***?!?!?!? A modern logo on a traditional sweater? BULL****!!!! This sucks!!!"

or...

"God, I wish the Blackhawks/Canadiens/Red Wings/etc. had tie-necks on their jerseys. This sucks!!!"

*Wild unveil home jersey with tie neck*

"WHAT THE F***?!?!?!? A new team with a traditional neckline? BULL****!!!! This sucks!!!"

or even...

"These new jerseys are WAY too busy. I hate them with a passion. Simplify, you idiots! This sucks!!!"

*Maple Leafs/Stars unveil clean, simple designs*

"WHAT THE F***?!?!?!? I'm never watching hockey again! BULL****!!!! This sucks!!!"

I believe I have made my point. :cursing:

I don't think you made your point at all. The first 2 things are both completely valid criticisms. The Sharks probably are the wrong team to have those jerseys. It is very clear that they would work better on another team (perhaps the Oilers). Reebok did this when they did a redesign of the CFL also. They had some good ideas, but they assigned them to the wrong teams.

It is perfectly acceptable to complain about this.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My issue is that it seems like no matter what a certain jersey looked like throughout this process, there was somebody ready and willing to say it sucked. I agree that the Sharks could've pulled off a modern design well, but when people are posting Photoshops of the Sharks logo on what is easily the most vilified template out there (Oilers/Panthers/Predators) and saying it looks great, it comes off as a bit "I hate everything," ya know? And I'm not going into the Wild's tie-neck/traditional thing again.

People are more than entitled to their opinions, and I'm not trying to stop them, but come on! A little consistency wouldn't hurt.

People are more than entitled to their opinions, and I'm not trying to stop them, but come on! A little consistency wouldn't hurt.

Consistency from whom? The entire board? We need to vote and agree on every individual opinion? That's asking a bit much, don't you think?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Consistency from whom? The entire board? We need to vote and agree on every individual opinion? That's asking a bit much, don't you think?

I believe he was asking for consistance form the individual giving his opinion.

He's saying that people who are bitching about the Sharks jersey being too traditional for them, are also complaining about the simple and traditional designs that the Leafs and Stars have, while also bitching about the wacky Rbk designs, which we all kinda hate.

It's a call to the board members to stop the knee-jerk reactions and break down the jerseys from a design aspect.

More than a reasonable request.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I think the only consistency you're going to get here is the fact the league-wide redesign didn't really need to happen at all.

I don't believe I heard a player say they couldn't play the game with bulky jerseys.

I don't believe I heard a fan(of any level: die hard, casual, sunshine, you name it) ever say: I'd buy the jersey, but coudl they make it lightweight in the arm pit area?

I don't believe I heard a shop ever say they couldn't move a hockey jersey because it was too thick.

I don't believe I heard ESPN ever say they couldn't broadcast NHL games because the jersey wasn't slick enough.

I don't believe I heard the NHL lockout was because of a jersey design.

But that's just me, my consistent thoughts and opinions.

So thank you NHL for breaking the one thing RIGHT about the league for these clown suits of uniforms you have some teams wearing. I totally appreciate it.

And while you're at it, bring back the Flyers early 80s pants, they would look great on Calgary.

I believe he was asking for consistance form the individual giving his opinion.

He's saying that people who are bitching about the Sharks jersey being too traditional for them, are also complaining about the simple and traditional designs that the Leafs and Stars have, while also bitching about the wacky Rbk designs, which we all kinda hate.

It's a call to the board members to stop the knee-jerk reactions and break down the jerseys from a design aspect.

More than a reasonable request.

What he said.

I think the only consistency you're going to get here is the fact the league-wide redesign didn't really need to happen at all.

I don't believe I heard a player say they couldn't play the game with bulky jerseys.

I don't believe I heard a fan(of any level: die hard, casual, sunshine, you name it) ever say: I'd buy the jersey, but coudl they make it lightweight in the arm pit area?

I don't believe I heard a shop ever say they couldn't move a hockey jersey because it was too thick.

I don't believe I heard ESPN ever say they couldn't broadcast NHL games because the jersey wasn't slick enough.

Did you hear the same things about a football jersey? No but they went with new style uniforms over the last several years with many of the new designs featuring the same design aspects of these new uniforms? The new football uniforms are even more form fitting that the hockey uniforms.

Same thing with basketball uniforms but guess what got rolled out at the NCAA tournament last year new lighter more form fitting uniforms.

It's just the evolution of the uniform I'm sure players didn't say they couldn't play in wool sweaters back when sweaters were being worn (BTW after seeing pictures of the edge uniforms in action they are no more tighter than the uniforms were in the 60's and 70's). The difference is this has more fan fair than the switch from sweaters of baseballs switch from flannel uniforms and some of the designs have changed. Had this taken place over a few years there wouldn't be this uproar.

Now you can bitch about the new designs because those weren't needed but the new uniforms themselves is a separate issue. However when discussing the designs consistency would be nice (and thats individually).

I know there has been a lot of anger towards piping on these boards, but at my count, only 8 teams went with piping (I'm not counting teams like Carolina, Philly or NYI). That's not that bad, and a few of the teams -- like St. Louis -- look pretty decent b/c the piping was fully incorporated into the design, not just as part of the template.

It's only the first step toward a CCCSLC! Chris Creamer's Communist Sports Logos Community!!! ASSIMILATE!!!!

Now you can bitch about the new designs because those weren't needed but the new uniforms themselves is a separate issue. However when discussing the designs consistency would be nice (and thats individually).

I believe I laid it out there. Simple as that.

Agreed - the Sharks have the wrong jersey. A modern approach would have been perfect. Its odd that the Sharks went from a pretty progressive design to a retro look. I strongly prefer the old logo and old jersey. I don't like the orange/yellow. The whole look is minor league to me. I do love the Blues Jersey - I think it looks pretty sweet.

I don't understand the hate for the Sharks. I love it. The only thing I would change is the shoulder logo; it's a bit too big and similar to the front logo. Other than that Sharks is a top 5 upgrade.

Huh.. I think that's kind of neat -- and old and new thing. It's not perfect, but I certainly wouldn't have been upset had they gone with it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I went down to the arena today to watch practice, and got a look at the sabres edge jersey. Obviously it's not a lot different, but they modified the slug on the away jersey, it has a solid blue outline instead of blue and silver, it looks much better on the away jersey now. That's not saying much of course, but it's an improvement. Also, since the jerseys are a different cut, the logo looks larger, another slight improvement.

slugbat.jpg

It is way better than what they end up with now. They just needed to bring the top of the Capital building in line with the top of the L. I really hate what the have now. Love the W Eagle Capital thing though.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

p3721584dt.jpg

Ya know, it's not bad, but it does seem like it's trying to do too much. Plus, there may have been issues with a depiction of a heavily-listing Capitol Dome.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived