2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

This seems like the best place to ask this question, so long as the subject of Flames uniforms is up.

Can anyone explain to me why the striping pattern is such on this uniform:

Flames5.gif

I always thought it looked great, but was curious if there was any reason for such a unique pattern.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can think of is, after the diagonal striping on the Anaheim jerseys came out, teams were looking for a new, distinct striping pattern?the Caps went to the basic diagonal with the eagle, while the Flames tried for a more European style.

I?m sure someone from Calgary could actually come up with a more detailed explanation, but I do believe I recall team management at the time wanting a Euro-styled flair to the uniform set

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Ok here's the updated board:

? Anaheim - Presumed to be same as last year

? Atlanta - No info as of yet

? Boston - Home jersey, Away jersey, New shoulder logo

? Buffalo - Presumed to be the same as last year

? Calgary - Possibly going with Quad City Flames design

? Carolina - Shots from EA sports NHL 2008: Home, away

? Chicago - No info as of yet

? Colorado - Rumored to be only minor tweaks, no big changes.

? Columbus - Home, away, both

? Dallas - New jersey design coming, but no new info yet

? Detroit - No info, presumed to stay the same

? Edmonton - No new info yet

? Florida - Teaser on website, to be unveiled late July

? Los Angeles - Home, away

? Minnesota - Red to be home primary, no info on new design (if any)

? Montreal - No info as of yet, presumed to be the same

? Nashville - Home and away (Another shot), 10th anniversary patch

? New Jersey - No new info yet

? NY Islanders - Possible home sweater, in template form *unconfirmed*

? NY Rangers - No new info, presumed to be the same

? Ottawa - Updated 3D logo; comparison

? Philadelphia - Jerseys to be unveiled in September

? Phoenix - No new info yet

? Pittsburgh - possible home, possible away jersey and possible uniform pants *unconfirmed*

? San Jose - New logo, (comparison), name and number, jersey to be revealed on July 24th.

? St. Louis - "Vertical" element in jerseys, but no pictures yet

? Tampa Bay - New logo, no info on jerseys yet.

? Toronto - No new info yet

? Vancouver - New logo coming (possible recoloring of Orca Whale), blue and green to be primary colors

? Washington - Home and road, new shoulder patch

I put the Rangers jerseys up in the other thread.

What I don't understand is why everybody hated the flames horsehead.

Calgary_Flames_horse_head_logo.png

It definately would make a hideous primary but it looks great as a shoulder patch. For that reason, I just don't get it.

I think it's because the team is called the Calgary Flames. Sure horses have a strong connection to the city, but honestly the team is not called the Stampede, Stampeders, Mustangs, Stallions or and other horse realated name. therefore i think that's why it's disliked.

I do however like it on the shoulder of their current home, looks great there.

untitled-6.jpg

It definately would make a hideous primary but it looks great as a shoulder patch. For that reason, I just don't get it.

I think it's because the team is called the Calgary Flames. Sure horses have a strong connection to the city, but honestly the team is not called the Stampede, Stampeders, Mustangs, Stallions or and other horse realated name. therefore i think that's why it's disliked.

I hate to contradict you buddy, but I have to disagree.

Your right, the team is not called the stampede, but the arena is on the stampede grounds, the shape (as i know you know) of the arena is a saddle, like you put on a horse, and i do see flames coming out of the nose of the horse and on it's forehead area.

I liked this logo so much because it tied into the city and what it's popular for.

(for those who don't know the stampede is more than just bull tieing and horse racing...it is a Canadian National Exhibition(CNE) type event where you get a midway and all sorts of different buildings catering to different industries trying to sell stuff....ect.)

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I hate to contradict you buddy, but I have to disagree.

Your right, the team is not called the stampede, but the arena is on the stampede grounds, the shape (as i know you know) of the arena is a saddle, like you put on a horse, and i do see flames coming out of the nose of the horse and on it's forehead area.

I liked this logo so much because it tied into the city and what it's popular for.

(for those who don't know the stampede is more than just bull tieing and horse racing...it is a Canadian National Exhibition(CNE) type event where you get a midway and all sorts of different buildings catering to different industries trying to sell stuff....ect.)

Oh I understand that fully, and I'm not saying I think that way. I was simply trying to offer an explanation for habsfan1

untitled-6.jpg

First off, it's a horribly-rendered horsehead. Second? Flames out of the nose? Come on.

I'm one of those people that hated it as a primary logo, therefore I agree with you that it does make a great shoulder patch logo. Does anyone know what the shoulder patch logo was before the horsehead came out?

ovechkin_sig3.jpg

Patrick Laforge, president of the Oilers, just talked on The Team 1260 radio in Edmonton, and the topic of jerseys came up. He didn't offer anything specific about the new Oilers uniforms, but he did say that they would be unveiled on (or around) the same day of the first pre-season game, with little fanfare. Little fanfare=few changes from their current set, by my reckoning.

Here's the interesting bit, though. He offered comment on Vancuover's impending new design, and how they will be using the stick logo on their home dark jerseys, and their orca logo on the road.....How much in the loop would the President of the Oilers when it comes to another team's jerseys? Hmmmmmm......

I really hope the Oilers were able to keep a traditional look. However, during the All-Star break Patrick Laforge was interviewed by 630 CHED and mentioned the jersey would have piping and fewer horizontal stripes. That sounds less like a traditional look and more of a 'which of these three slightly different templates do you like best?' look to me, but I hope I'm wrong.

First off, it's a horribly-rendered horsehead. Second? Flames out of the nose? Come on.

Frank: gotcha....in that case, your right on!

Leeds united: What do you mean it's horribly rendered?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

All I can think of is, after the diagonal striping on the Anaheim jerseys came out, teams were looking for a new, distinct striping pattern?the Caps went to the basic diagonal with the eagle, while the Flames tried for a more European style.

I?m sure someone from Calgary could actually come up with a more detailed explanation, but I do believe I recall team management at the time wanting a Euro-styled flair to the uniform set

The Flames and Blues both switched to the whacky striping the same year that the Ducks entered the league, the Avalanche, Islanders and Capitals did so two seasons later... perhaps a CCM/NHL influenced design element?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

lol Good!

I have a question, how come the horse is bald?

untitled-6.jpg

Nail. Head.

lol Good!

It wore a hat all the time?

Hi, how are you?

lol Good!

It wore a hat all the time?

lol That was perfect! :D

untitled-6.jpg

This seems like the best place to ask this question, so long as the subject of Flames uniforms is up.

Can anyone explain to me why the striping pattern is such on this uniform:

Flames5.gif

I always thought it looked great, but was curious if there was any reason for such a unique pattern.

Ahh the plate tectonics uniform.

:puke:

It's a shame the Flames never came up with anything original themselves, they instead adopted Atlanta's name and colours when they were moved to Calgary, i always found that to be pathetic as most teams, well pretty much ALL teams usually change their name when they move from a different state/country or whatever the case was.

Yeah, because the LA Dodgers, SF Giants, Arizona Cardinals, Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, LA Lakers, LA Clippers, New Orleans Hornets, Atlanta Braves, Golden State Warriors, Indianapolis Colts, St. Louis Rams, LA Raiders, Detroit Pistons, Washington Bullets, Atlanta Hawks, Sacramento Kings, and Oakland Athletics ALL changed THEIR names when they moved! Damn the Flames! So pathetic.

I dont see what's so bad about it. It sure beats the hell out of the skate logo.

I have never in my life heard a real canuck fan diss the skate logo, never have i heard that before. The whale logo was the worst direction of a logo the Canucks have taken and the polls that have been taken all prove my point, not only that, if you step into GM place for a game once in a while you'll see i am right.

The skate logo represented hockey, it also had Canucks in it, it didn't matter that it wasn't something that completely represented Vancouver, the name Canucks is too broad to be covered by any kind of logo aside from the 2 original logo's the team has used. Polls again have proven my point.

If i could go back to any of the logo's i'd be #1 - Original Logo, #2, Skate Logo...there is no 3rd option.

Now you might think i am dissing you or something, i don't even know how old you are, but in 1994 i went to every home game for the season and playoffs, i was 13 and cried when we lost, but that logo, that skate logo had blood and sweat on it from the guys that played that series hard with new york, as well as the flames series. I can't for the life of me, imagine any canuck fan that actually cared about the team dissing that logo.

i'll always associate the skate logo uniforms with that 94 run and how they damn near won the thing too. The orca, i just associate with bad canucks teams and cup runs that end in the 1st and 2nd round. I wouldn't even be totally opposed to having the skate logo recolored in orca colors and the orca 'c' regulated to an alternate shoulder logo which from a logo pov looks like a good shoulder logo and a weak primary logo. Or just drop orca and stick stick and rink on the shoulders, that works too.

Is it just me or does the "C" in the logo look alot like what Montréal uses?

Why was the old thread Graveyarded? Probably the most important thread in the history of this board is unceremoniously dumped into the trash heap? That's pretty f-ing lame. That's like Pluto-Goofy lame.

Archived