2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

It's a shame the Flames never came up with anything original themselves, they instead adopted Atlanta's name and colours when they were moved to Calgary, i always found that to be pathetic as most teams, well pretty much ALL teams usually change their name when they move from a different state/country or whatever the case was.

Yeah, because the LA Dodgers, SF Giants, Arizona Cardinals, Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, LA Lakers, LA Clippers, New Orleans Hornets, Atlanta Braves, Golden State Warriors, Indianapolis Colts, St. Louis Rams, LA Raiders, Detroit Pistons, Washington Bullets, Atlanta Hawks, Sacramento Kings, and Oakland Athletics ALL changed THEIR names when they moved! Damn the Flames! So pathetic.

I just re-read his post and thought the same thing.

untitled-6.jpg

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never in my life heard a real canuck fan diss the skate logo, never have i heard that before. I can't for the life of me, imagine any canuck fan that actually cared about the team dissing that logo.

My great-uncle George met my great-aunt - a native of Burnaby, BC - in 1950. Soon thereafter, he moved to British Columbia and married her. Having been born and raised in New England, he was a die-hard hockey fan. Upon arriving in Burnaby, he became a fan of the Pacific Coast Hockey League's Vancouver Canucks. He continued supporting the team through it's incarnation as a Western Hockey League franchise. Ultimately, he was thrilled when Vancouver was granted a National Hockey League expansion franchise - the modern Canucks.

My uncle has supported various incarnations of the Vancouver Canucks for 57 years. Much to the chagrin of his family and friends in New England, upon Vancouver's being granted an NHL franchise, Uncle George abandoned his allegiance to the Boston Bruins. He reasoned that you couldn't pledge your die-hard support to a pair of teams in one league... and he'd become a Canucks fan through-and-through. Though he now splits his time between Burnaby and Scottsdale, Arizona, he still maintains his season tickets to the Canucks. He is as "real" a Canuck's fan as I - or you - are ever likely to meet.

Bottom line? He absolutely, positively despises the Canuck's "flying skate" logo and the Yellow, Red, Black and White color scheme that went along with it. In no way, shape or form does he feel that the logo is anything but a garish depiction of a generic piece of hockey equipment.

In rating the other three logos used by the various Vancouver Canucks franchises, he ranks the Johnny Canuck/lumberjack first ("It was the original. It signifies British Columbia's lumbering tradition."), the current Orca a close second ("I like how it pays homage to the First Nation arts and culture, as well as the importance of the killer whale to the culture of Pacific Northwest tribes.") and the Rink-and-Skate a distant third ("It's pretty bland, but at least the colors say, 'Vancouver' to me.").

What I don't understand is why everybody hated the flames horsehead.

Calgary_Flames_horse_head_logo.png

It definately would make a hideous primary but it looks great as a shoulder patch. For that reason, I just don't get it.

I'm one of those people that hated it as a primary logo, therefore I agree with you that it does make a great shoulder patch logo. Does anyone know what the shoulder patch logo was before the horsehead came out?

Calgary did not have any shoulder patches until the black third jersey came out. The horsehead was the primary on that jersey while the shoulder patch was the Flaming C.

I like the horse head as a shoulder patch, especially on the home jersey as it incorporates alot of the yellow which makes the logo "pop" off of a red background.

This seems like the best place to ask this question, so long as the subject of Flames uniforms is up.

Can anyone explain to me why the striping pattern is such on this uniform:

Flames5.gif

I always thought it looked great, but was curious if there was any reason for such a unique pattern.

In my opinion, this is the worst jersey set in Calgary's history. I hate that white jersey more than the black horsehead creation.

To answer your question, the explanation given when they were unveiled was that the diagonal stripe was supposed to represent a championship podium. Quite ironic as, to me, these jerseys represent Calgary's dark days in the NHL.

To answer your question, the explanation given when they were unveiled was that the diagonal stripe was supposed to represent a championship podium. Quite ironic as, to me, these jerseys represent Calgary's dark days in the NHL.

Ha! Thanks for the answer. Boy, what a stupid justification.

I guess I stand alone here -- I like the look.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Ha! Thanks for the answer. Boy, what a stupid justification.

I always liked them, too. However, I think they would have been even better without the "podium" effect on the front.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Why was the old thread Graveyarded? Probably the most important thread in the history of this board is unceremoniously dumped into the trash heap? That's pretty f-ing lame. That's like Pluto-Goofy lame.

I hate graveyarding, but that thread was getting painful to read.

Nah, I liked it too, though i would have liked it more without that diagonal striping getting shoved in there. The numbering and lettering beats what they're currently using, IMO. And of course, a few years later, someone took the Flames numbering, carved in a few random notches, and - Bang! - there's your Nashville Predators.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

away_jersey-1989_big.jpg

p1868136reg.jpg

This is what they need to go back to.

That just doesn't look quite right. Bright red and yellow together look awful unless there's a dark color to help balance it out a bit (see: Kansas City Chiefs).

I like the Flames' current look better than any they've had in the past. The 80's look was decent, but it was too bright, and the mid-90s jerseys were awful, because they had that horrible stripe design.

I think a red jersey with a yellow flaming 'C' and black trim around the 'C' would be nice. The stripes could be mostly yellow, with slightly less black. Black pants and helmets.

It's a shame the Flames never came up with anything original themselves, they instead adopted Atlanta's name and colours when they were moved to Calgary, i always found that to be pathetic as most teams, well pretty much ALL teams usually change their name when they move from a different state/country or whatever the case was.

Yeah, because the LA Dodgers, SF Giants, Arizona Cardinals, Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, LA Lakers, LA Clippers, New Orleans Hornets, Atlanta Braves, Golden State Warriors, Indianapolis Colts, St. Louis Rams, LA Raiders, Detroit Pistons, Washington Bullets, Atlanta Hawks, Sacramento Kings, and Oakland Athletics ALL changed THEIR names when they moved! Damn the Flames! So pathetic.

I just re-read his post and thought the same thing.

Maybe he meant just the NHL?

Big Find here New or alt. logos I found them on hats off NHL Shop Heres a picture of the changes i found- NHLLOGOS.jpg

I love that pens logo :D

,CA

Am I the only one who finds it funny that the only hat that says "The (Team Name)" is for the one team in a French-speaking city?

I think you were up until just now, lol.

That is pretty funny though!

It actually would be smart to make one saying "Les habitants" and see if the French-speaking Canadians go for it. Just think of all the extra cash the NHL could rake it by going bilingual.

EDIT: I really like that Atlanta logo, the thrasher is gonna kick some serious but!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

This seems like the best place to ask this question, so long as the subject of Flames uniforms is up.

Can anyone explain to me why the striping pattern is such on this uniform:

Flames5.gif

I always thought it looked great, but was curious if there was any reason for such a unique pattern.

In my opinion, this is the worst jersey set in Calgary's history. I hate that white jersey more than the black horsehead creation.

Why can't they still use that same striping on the pants even with today's jerseys and socks. It would look SO much better especially since the white jersey doesn't actually have that much black and a little red and yellow striping on the pants would balance out the uniform a lot better.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Big Find here New or alt. logos I found them on hats off NHL Shop Heres a picture of the changes i found- NHLLOGOS.jpg

,CA

Am I the only one who finds it funny that the only hat that says "The (Team Name)" is for the one team in a French-speaking city?

Some of these are pathetic, but the Caps and Rangers are good. The Blues and the Flyers are basically the same. The Kings one is just horrible.

Hey guys, I've been on vacation, so I haven't gotten a chance to update the big board until now. As far as I know that would be up to date with everything we know so far, to make easier access for everyone. Cool!

,CA

I bought a zephyr hat a few years ago that uses that logo. I would have no complaints at all if the Pens adopted that as the new logo.

EDIT: Hadnt read the next post after this one, someone points out that these were Zephyr designs

Archived