Should the padres change there road unis next year?

FRIAR_BOLT_619

I'm going to say no, the Padres shouldn't change. I was just at work at the minor league stadium in Clearwater tonight and the Threshers played the Lakeland Flying Tigers (think old-school military fighter plane). Reason why I bring this up is that we played a doubleheader tonight and in Game 1 Lakeland busted out green camouflage jerseys with their Padres khaki (yes, they're the same shade) road pants. Game 2 brought out the full-blown Padres khaki, jersey and all, and there was enough difference that you knew who was home and who was road. Here is a pic from a past game of the Flying Tigers road unis:

459382217_aae3adc82b_o.jpg

And here is a contrast of the Flying Tigers road (pitcher) vs. the Clearwater Threshers home (batter)

459382743_2d0be0c56f.jpg

Based on this comparison, there is enough difference between the sand colored road unis as there would be with gray unis. Team just do it to be different, no big deal.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not your fault, but there's already waaaay too much two-tone blue going around these days. I wouldn't want the Padres to add to the problem.

(And yes, I do realize what's in my avatar. But they've had that since forever, unlike the Memphises, Utahs, and Denvers of the world.)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Its pretty obvious that the players hate wearing their all sand unis anymore, Even though ive always thought they were nice and different, It really disappoints me seeing them dawn those softball looking blue tops all the damn time on the road, So do you think im alone here in thinking that after this season they will change it up next year in some capacity.

Yes the Padres have the worst road unis in baseball that tan is just plain and simply ugly

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

No one has the COOLBASE in gray because Majestic apparently can't get their :censored: together and make a gray jersey (or khaki apparently). Only whites and colors. That's why so many teams are wearing their alts on the road: it's the only COOLBASE jersey set they have.

Whether the players like the khaki or not is immaterial. They are wearing the blues away from home because it is their only COOLBASE option.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

In a somewhat related question, am I the only person who thinks the Royals away uniform looks like a goldish-gray?

Y'know you actually are not. I was also wondering if there was a standard grey or if there were various shades of it. It may also be that different colors might cast a certain hue on the grey...but come to think of it.....Royal blue wouldn't cast a gold hue. I'm stumped. :wacko:

Whether the players like the khaki or not is immaterial. They are wearing the blues away from home because it is their only COOLBASE option.

I wouldn't call it "immaterial" - the players choose not to wear the sand jerseys even when the weather is cooler.

I'm saying it's been immaterial since June. Everyone who could go to COOLBASE did right about then. The Padres did wear their sand jerseys before then. They wore the doubleknit versions of the blues too. I don't know what the split was. It "feels" like they wore blue more often on the road early on, but I have no evidence, because I don't watch Padres games regularly.

Personally, I think someone on the intarwebs should be tracking what jersey each team wears for each game. That would be a fun little project. There's got to be someone with enough time to track uni combos, doubleknit v COOLBASE, etc.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Being an advocate of all things traditional and "old" I am about to go against type. I love the Padres look when they wear the Blue alts with the sand colored road pants. The sand color is original and I like it. Keep it.

BB52Big.jpg

I've seen now both retro jerseys for 1969. They wore the road unis in Pittsburgh a while back and the homes just a few years ago. Both were very stylish. The road unis weren't khaki but more of a true brown/grey look. They were definitely a brown color but there was no yellowing involved. I loved that color and wondered why they didn't go for it when they changed this time.

That being said, I'd like to see the Padres change the away uni color to the same grey that St Louis uses. It has a sort of bluish tint to it but it's not distracting. I like the San Diego font. Continue with the Navy lettering with white trim. That would be a nice looking uni I think.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Personally, I think someone on the intarwebs should be tracking what jersey each team wears for each game. That would be a fun little project. There's got to be someone with enough time to track uni combos, doubleknit v COOLBASE, etc.

Sounds good to me. Okay, everybody call a team.

I'll volunteer to cover the Yankees.... :P

I don't know what they're wearing today (probably blue), but so far the count is (with W-L):

White Jerseys: 19-16

Blue Jerseys: 37-32

Padres Sand Jerseys: 3-4

Camouflage Jerseys: 2-0

‘72-’73 Retro Yellow Jerseys: 1-0

1982 Retro White Jerseys: 0-1

And last year was:

White Jerseys: 29-21

Blue Jerseys: 39-34

Padres Sand Jerseys: 17-17

Camouflage Jerseys: 0-2

1976 Jerseys: 1-0

1948 PCL Padres Jerseys 1-0

It's pretty amazing they've only worn the sand tops 7 times this year.

Doesn't it cease being an alternate jersey when it is worn more than the primary stuff?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Sounds good to me. Okay, everybody call a team.

I'll volunteer to cover the Yankees.... :P

For that you get the Mets.

they should go blue full time. theres something appealing to white home and colored roads. The sand is cool maybe for an alternate which is really what the gray jersey should be provided its in the color scheme. There again, i don't wank over making my team look like its just played babe ruth.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived