Charlotte Bobcats Set to Unveil Makeover

Brian in Boston

The Charlotte Business Journal is reporting that the NBA's Bobcats are revamping their look as part of a marketing campaign meant to help the team make "a real connection with the city".

According to Greg Economou, the team's chief marketing officer, "... the Bobcats plan to emphasize blue as a primary color for the franchise, using the previously dominant orange only as an accent. The blue jersey introduced last year will be worn by the team for 20 games this season, up from 12 in 2006-07. By 2008-09, blue will be the main color used in team apparel, marketing and elsewhere."

The color change is one of several meant to establish the Bobcats as a team with "deep Carolina roots while paying homage to the region's affection for no-frills tradition similar to what can be found in college basketball".

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...&ana=e_vert

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of things:

1.Doesnt Charlotte Hornets just sounds so much better than both Charlotte Bobcats and New Orleans Hornets? how about working out a deal here?

2.Arent there enough "blue" teams in the NBA already? I cant think of another orange team.

3.I just wasted $35 on a perfectly fine orange "Charlotte" jersey. yay.

14ilxq9.png

I liked the fact that they went with the all orange look, but hated everything else about their identity including the primary logo and uniform font.

If they go to a simpler look, I'd love to see them take a page out of the college game and do a simple block type face in white with subtle trim down the sides.

Hopefully the logo will be involved in the overhaul. I cannot stand that logo one bit...it looks way too high school-ish to me.

First reaction: Eat it, O'Grady.

Second reaction: It should be an upgrade; the orange was rather garish. I just wonder what the NC State and Wake Forest fans have to say about the team emphasizing blue.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Great. The fact that they went orange was the ONLY interesting thing about that franchise. Another blue team, ho-hum. Wake me from this glorious delirium.

Yet another misstep from management. That city has a fanbase just begging for a well-run, professional franchise. However, Bob Johnson has given them nothing that looks like a well-run operation and fans have been rightfully ignoring the team.

Frankly, the NBA should have awarded the franchise to the Belkin/Bird combo. Could have saved two franchises (the Hawks being the other) from going in the collective dumpster.

it's a warm red, not orange.

as for the navy uni, "meh" seen it before, no big whoop (too much NY Knicks-look).

the uni striping and overall look was a nice future style, i hate they're leaving it trying to appeal to our college fan demo.

i also dislike the primary logo, but the alt w the basketball is getting more use on the stuff i've been seeing, so that's ok.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

I've never liked their logo, wordmark or jerseys. The blue jersey is the only good thing about the set. If they went with that blue as the primary, orange for trim and used a more traditional font, they would have one of the best sets in the NBA. Yeah, there's alot of blue, but the Bobcats' blue is unique.

Why do NBA teams have to change color schemes so much? I hate it. Makes me appreciate the NFL tons more. Bad redesigns suck, but color scheme changes suck extra.

Edit: Yes, I realize they are technically keeping the same colors... but de-emphasizing what was formerly their primary color still counts as a scheme change to me. Example: The Toronto Raptors.

1.Doesnt Charlotte Hornets just sounds so much better than both Charlotte Bobcats and New Orleans Hornets? how about working out a deal here?

Ooh, he stopped just short of involving the Jazz in such a proposition, and avoided much flaming. Close call, though.

HAY GUYZ I HAVE A GRATE IDEA SWITCH THE JAZZ AND HORNETS NAMES BECUZ UTAH IS THE BEEHIVE STATE AND HORNETS ARE KINDA BEES AND NEW ORLEANS HAS JAZZ IN IT SO IT WOULD BE PERFECT

HAY GUYZ I HAVE A GRATE IDEA SWITCH THE JAZZ AND HORNETS NAMES BECUZ UTAH IS THE BEEHIVE STATE AND HORNETS ARE KINDA BEES AND NEW ORLEANS HAS JAZZ IN IT SO IT WOULD BE PERFECT

Fixed...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I still say their "blue" looks more indigo/purplish, but maybe that's just me.

CharlotteBobcats_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

As someone else said prior, I believe their blue is a Seahawks blue rip off. Looks like a warmer blue or kind of purplish when paired against the orange.

It still boggles my mind that the NBA decided to go back into a region that just doesn't deserve a pro basketball team. They should have expanded into St.Louis/Kansas City or Oklahoma City instead of Charlotte. Its been how ever many years and they still are at or near the bottom of the list in attendance. The Hornets played in OKC after Katrina and just about sold out the place every night. Bad move on the NBA's part IMO.

Archived