NLL to cancel season?

BB61

The cancellation of the 2008 could be bad for the NLL, as it could also mean the death of the NLL.

What's also bad? The Boston Blazers/New York Titans game, scheduled for March 22 in Hartford, is like every other NLL game scheduled for the 2008 season..... ERASED!!!

To make matters worse, they're not going to use any replacement players. WHY? Apparently they never heard of the 1987 NFL Players strike, when replacement players were used for the first 3 weeks of the NFL season.

Here's the thing - if they did use replacements, would very many people notice? Or care?

... but, you actually need to find replacement players first ....

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The cancellation of the 2008 could be bad for the NLL, as it could also mean the death of the NLL.

What's also bad? The Boston Blazers/New York Titans game, scheduled for March 22 in Hartford, is like every other NLL game scheduled for the 2008 season..... ERASED!!!

To make matters worse, they're not going to use any replacement players. WHY? Apparently they never heard of the 1987 NFL Players strike, when replacement players were used for the first 3 weeks of the NFL season.

Here's the thing - if they did use replacements, would very many people notice? Or care?

They'd notice that their season was still on.

Yes, people actually do go to NLL games. I know that people like to make fun of "fringe sports" because they can't bring in big boy numbers, but an average attendance of just over 10k doesn't seem too bad. (source)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Yes, people actually do go to NLL games. I know that people like to make fun of "fringe sports" because they can't bring in big boy numbers, but an average attendance of just over 10k doesn't seem too bad. (source)

There was a time when the Toronto Rock were averaging more per game than the Toronto Blue Jays... the NLL is quite popular here

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Replacement players will be from the semi-pro leagues.

YOZXkBG.png?1

So could the NLL players now go play in the MLL now? I mean, if so, that's just really stupid on the league's part. Well, it's already a stupid decision on the league's part regardless. I watched a few games on TV, but with no real connection to the sport or league then I really don't care, just sucks for the players and fans.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

So could the NLL players now go play in the MLL now? I mean, if so, that's just really stupid on the league's part. Well, it's already a stupid decision on the league's part regardless. I watched a few games on TV, but with no real connection to the sport or league then I really don't care, just sucks for the players and fans.

Pretty sure a lot of players already do play in the MLL as well.

I could be wrong though.

Replacement players will be from the semi-pro leagues.

At the risk of being made to look like a supreme idiot...WHAT SEMI-PRO LEAGUES?!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sure, but does that 10K go for the personalities, the sport, or the 'overall entertainment experience' the league provides? If it's the former, then they'll care and they'll stay away. Otherwise, they'd still come out at least to some extent.

nav-logo.png

Darn right that's bad - that day's my birthday, and I was seriously considering going as a b-day present to myself... :cursing:

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

The 2008 season might be saved but Boston and maybe a few other teams won't return until 2009:

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/page.cfm?pag...;storyid=170641

See, to me this shows a serious lack of commitment on the part of the owners.

If you're going to have the stones to cancel a season, stick to the decision and make the players sweat. The AFL announced a season cancellation only to buckle under within 24 hours, signing a labor deal that was horrible for them just for the sake of saving a season. The NHL meanwhile stuck to its guns and got a deal that has revitalized the league.

In the case of the NLL, ownership needs to keep costs contained, and if that means not playing in 2008 so they can achieve that, then shut it down.

nav-logo.png

The 2008 season might be saved but Boston and maybe a few other teams won't return until 2009:

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/page.cfm?pag...;storyid=170641

At least the Swarm have gone on record as returning for this season:

We are excited our great fans will be able to see the Swarm play in 2008 and for the next seven seasons as part of today's announcement. We look forward to announcing our new 2008 schedule next week.

As a recent "convert" to the NLL, this is great news for me. I was all set to order partial season tickets for this season before it was "cancelled". Now I can do that after all.

CCSLC signature.png

After a quick survey of all the NLL team Web sites, here's where each team stands for 2008:

Arizona Sting: Will play in 2008

Boston Blazers: Inaugural season delayed until 2009

Buffalo Bandits: No official word yet, but seem to be leaning toward playing in 2008

Calgary Roughnecks: Will play in 2008

Chicago Shamrox: No clear indication either way yet

Colorado Mammoth: Will play in 2008

Edmonton Rush: No clear indication either way yet

Minnesota Swarm: Will play in 2008

New York Titans: Will play in 2008

Philadelphia Wings: Will play in 2008

Portland LumberJax: No official word yet, but seem to be leaning toward playing in 2008

Rochester Knighthawks: Will (try to) defend their NLL title in 2008

San Jose Stealth: No clear indication either way yet

Toronto Rock: No clear indication either way yet

CCSLC signature.png

If any teams were not going to play, I would think that it would be the newer ones -- Chicago, Edmonton, Portland, and San Jose. I doubt Buffalo wouldn't play, and I'd be shocked if Toronto sat out.

*SHAMELESS PLUG!*

It looks like the ULL season will go on as scheduled, then, as soon as we FILL OUR EMPTY SLOT.

/*SHAMELESS PLUG!*

:hockeysmiley:

philly.png

Archived