ROX vs. SOX

Mac the Knife

What happened with Lugo? He bunted but the ump called him out.

I didn't watch very well this situation.

He bunted, but the ball was over fair territory when it bounced back and hit him. Any batter who contacts a fair ball is automatically out, even if both his feet were still in the batter's box at the time.

Diaz (home plate umpire) made the correct call, that's why the discussion with Francona was quick.

I thought he shouldn't be called out because he unintentionally touched the ball. But you explained well the stuff, thank you. :)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let the Sox use up all their hitting tonight, I have no objections to it, because the Rockies WILL WIN four straight after tonight... and you can take that to the bank.

You're 0-for-2, Nick. You might want to quit while you're behind.

No kidding... no more predictions from me, what happens, happens. I hope the Rockies can pull it out, but if they don't, I'm still very proud they made it as far as they did.

Why aren't you be proud of your team?

The Rockies really made history reaching the World Series when almost nobody gave them a penny. 21 wins over 22 games including that marvelous one-game playoff against the Padres... all that isn't turkey's mucus. It's a truly f-e-a-t.

No sir, nobody can't take away from you the pride for the Rockies.

I'm very happy for the Red Sox, but, as I already said, I never bashed on another guys. Your Rockies made a good role and gave a good fight in Game 2.

See you later.

pennants.png

I think Swiss misread Nick's post. He said he was still proud of them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It was nice to see a "real" ball game last night. The past few Red Sox Games have been arse kickings. As a Tribe fan.. that was not good! To see Colorado hang tough ater getting blown out on Wednesday is a good thing. It should be interesting in Coor's. Bigger outfieds, no DH. I think since Boston is up 2-0, Ortiz playing first might not be a terrible thing. I can't see not using that stick in the line-up. Maybe use a late inning replacement for defensive purposes. I could see that position switching as the games go on and if Colorado gets back in to it.

I'm hoping Colorado is able t omake it a Series. Going 6 or 7 games would be nice. Yeah, I'd like them to win... but I still want to watch baseball for more than 2 more games at least.

If Boston were smart, they'd play Youkilis at first and have Ortiz on the bench in Game 3. They do have a 2-game lead and would benefit having Youkilis's glove. Coors Field is not a place to have a deficiency on defense.

Most folks think that Coors is home to nothing but the 3-run HR's, but having watched a lot of games there, walks and errors kill a team at Coors more than the 3-run HR's.

and Coors isn't the fly-away zone that it once was. Like the humidor or not, it has definitely made the park more pitcher friendly.

Yep, still a hitters park but it's no longer home to the 11-9 game almost every night.

By the way, the Red Sox did some great advanced scouting on that pickoff move to get Holliday with two outs in the eighth. Holliday admitted he was going on the first pitch since the Rockies noticed in the ALDS that Papelbon made no attempt to hold Howie Kendrick on, allowing him to steal second and third in an identical situation. The Red Sox bench coach, Brad Mills, knew that Holliday liked to try and steal on the first pitch whenever he did steal. Still no excuse for Holliday to get picked off there, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

For those questioning Ortiz's presence in the field in Game 3, I can shed some light on the situation.

During the regular season, every interleague series in a National League park involving the Red Sox featured a three-man rotation at first and third base. Ortiz, Lowell and Youkilis would each get a day off during the three-game set (Game 1: Ortiz 1B, Lowell 3B; Game 2: Ortiz 1B, Youkilis 3B; Game 3: Youkilis 1B, Lowell 3B). This first game happens to be Youkilis' day off. I'm willing to bet that Ortiz will be on the bench in Game 5 (should it occur) when the Sox go up against a lefty, Jeff Francis. The Sox aren't choosing offense over defense or anything, they're just sticking to their rotation of those three guys. Nothing major. On top of that, if Ortiz sits in Game 5 (which I fully expect he would), they're picking the game in which they'll need the least offense to win, since that would be Josh Beckett's next scheduled start (and, if his insane run in the postseason is any indication, he'll allow very few threats from the Colorado offense).

That is true. The Red Sox -- front office and coaching staff included -- have stuck to their plans so far this season, and I wouldn't expect it to change now. I'd think that Lowell, Youk, and Ortiz will all sit a game... though, personally, I'm hoping they don't have to make that decision for game five.

IUe6Hvh.png

I hope there is a game 5, but only because that would mean one more outing for Josh Beckett. He's had one hell of a run. Besides, after all the cheating exposure, the 756* hubbub, and the Joe Torre fiasco, we need this kind of a story to end the season.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I hope there is a game 5, but only because that would mean one more outing for Josh Beckett. He's had one hell of a run. Besides, after all the cheating exposure, the 756* hubbub, and the Joe Torre fiasco, we need this kind of a story to end the season.

Traffic in Denver sure would suck that night, with Game 5 of the World Series and the Broncos hosting Monday Night Football.....

I think Swiss misread Nick's post. He said he was still proud of them.

No, I had read him perfectly. All I said is for assuring his pride of the Rockies. :)

pennants.png

Hey the ump stole the Manny's run. The hesitation came from trying to see if Torrealba still had control of the ball.

Sorry, Swiss, I think the ump got it right. Looks like Manny got tagged on the left hip right before he smacked the plate.

At least the offense looks SICK right now! Plus, I doubt Daisuke would blow a 6-run lead.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Hey the ump stole the Manny's run. The hesitation came from trying to see if Torrealba still had control of the ball.

Sorry, Swiss, I think the ump got it right. Looks like Manny got tagged on the left hip right before he smacked the plate.

At least the offense looks SICK right now! Plus, I doubt Daisuke would blow a 6-run lead.

Tagged on left hip? Well, I'll see if it was or wasn't so in a Sportscenter replay.

Oh, yes, alots of Bostonian offense in one inning... it's again an Iguazu Falls of hits...

pennants.png

Archived