Browns to get new uniforms?

buckeyes

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I saw a guy on the street wearing skin-tight white knee pants with orange and brown stripes down the side, I'd think that was a little silly, too. (Especially if he was also wearing matching socks.) But that's real life, not the football field, where colorful attire is permitted.

Y'Know, if you saw a grown man walking down the street wearing orange pants you'd laugh at him...why is it any different on a football field? Orange pants are HORRIBLE!!!!

They need to let go of that look for good IMO.

If NFL teams dressed like "grown men" are "supposed to" then all NFL teams would look like some variation of this...

dockers292x300.jpg

No thanks in "real life" and no thanks in the NFL. :P

BB52Big.jpg

The Browns denied any changes are coming in Sundays local newspaper.

Plain Dealer website

Winslow's new look' idea falls flat

Sunday, December 23, 2007Tony GrossiPlain Dealer Reporter

Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards may not like it, but the Browns have no intention of changing their uniforms anytime soon.

Winslow created a fan frenzy when he said in an interview in Penthouse Magazine that the team would update its uniform look.

Winslow was quoted as saying: "You know what? We're in the process of changing all that. Next year, you're gonna see some new uniforms for the Cleveland Browns. This is really a big part of what Braylon Edwards and I have been talking about for a long time. It's time for a change. Sometimes people live in the past in Cleveland. That's fine, but this team is trying to build an identity and start up something new."

When Winslow's comments circulated this week, radio talk shows and Internet fan forums went berserk. There is nothing more sacred to Browns fans than the team's traditionally drab, logo-less uniform look.

The interview actually took the team by surprise.

"We have no plans for a uniform change," said Bill Bonsiewicz, vice president of communications. "We would not make a major decision like that without seeking input from a variety of people, including our fans."

Bonsiewicz said that the Browns altered their uniform look last year with a return to gray facemasks and some subtle changes in striping. He said a league rule states that teams must wait five years after a change before doing something different.

If there was an urgent movement for a change, the Browns could petition the league to OK a makeover. But Bonsiewicz insisted there are no plans to do so.

He said he is not surprised by fan sensitivity to the traditional uniform.

"These people fought hard to keep the name, the record, the uniforms," he said.

Another team official said, "Fans would kill us if we changed uniforms."

Another team official said, "Fans would kill us if we changed uniforms."

This is one fanbase in which I believe it would happen. If the Browns ever changed uniforms, it would be similar to the uproar when the 49ers had that crappy helmet for 1 day before the fans went nuts and they changed it back. I can imagine that Browns HQ would be the target of a hurricane of dog biscuits raining and the wind of the Dawg Pound yelling their ass off in fury.

This is one fanbase in which I believe it would happen. If the Browns ever changed uniforms, it would be similar to the uproar when the 49ers had that crappy helmet for 1 day before the fans went nuts and they changed it back.

The Browns have changed uniforms, with different jerseys and different pants more than a few times in their history. Heck, just a few years ago, they had 3 different pairs of pants (2 white and 1 orange), and 3 different jersey's (white, brown and orange).

Everybody, I think, lived through it.

This is one fanbase in which I believe it would happen. If the Browns ever changed uniforms, it would be similar to the uproar when the 49ers had that crappy helmet for 1 day before the fans went nuts and they changed it back.

The Browns have changed uniforms, with different jerseys and different pants more than a few times in their history. Heck, just a few years ago, they had 3 different pairs of pants (2 white and 1 orange), and 3 different jersey's (white, brown and orange).

Yeah, they lived through it, but the orange jersey was only worn (and advertised) to be used a few times. I'm sure the avg fan doesn't realize there were two white pants. The orange was something that was done and accepted before. The bottom line was, all the unis were similar to what they've had before. What Braylon and KW want to do were total departures and I think they could be crucified for that by that fan base. That's just my .02 though.

KISSwall09.jpg

I'm talking about a RADICAL change.

He said a league rule states that teams must wait five years after a change before doing something different.

That's a load of CRAP!! If that were true, how did the Brownies get away with their yearly uniform tinkering for five years straight??

Anyway, I'm sure Winslow was doing some out-loud wishful thinking. Seeing the current NFL player's taste in Any Given Sunday-esque uniforms, I'm sure Winslow would rather see the Browns in all-brown or all-orange. :rolleyes:

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I really hope they do a major overhaul - Orange jerseys, with minimal brown trim (it's an ugly color). White helmet, white pants, logo on the helmet. Snazzy striping!

The Browns current uniforms are and always have been one of the ugliest in pro sports. I'd love it if they had the balls to change.... But I know they don't.

I really hope they do a major overhaul - Orange jerseys, with minimal brown trim (it's an ugly color). White helmet, white pants, logo on the helmet. Snazzy striping!

The Browns current uniforms are and always have been one of the ugliest in pro sports. I'd love it if they had the balls to change.... But I know they don't.

Funny how I had two different women--one of whom knows NOTHING about football...tell me how much she loved those uniforms...the guys with the orange helmets. (This was during the CLE @ CIN game.) Of course...she then went on to say that she likes it better when the helmet is a different color than the jersey.

(Not that it matters...but I also had one tell me how she likes the tiger stripes going up the sides of the Bengals' pants, so...)

Will the Browns ever overhaul their uniforms? That will be the great debate of the decade...

(And...how come no one's suggesting the COLTS or the RAIDERS consider an overhaul? Those might be the two blandest sets in all of the NFL!!! :P )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I guess you also like the fact that the Blue Jays wear black...

(And...how come no one's suggesting the COLTS or the RAIDERS consider an overhaul? Those might be the two blandest sets in all of the NFL!!! :P )

*GASP*

If I'd been drinking water while reading that, I might've spat it on my monitor.

He said a league rule states that teams must wait five years after a change before doing something different.

That's a load of CRAP!! If that were true, how did the Brownies get away with their yearly uniform tinkering for five years straight??

Anyway, I'm sure Winslow was doing some out-loud wishful thinking. Seeing the current NFL player's taste in Any Given Sunday-esque uniforms, I'm sure Winslow would rather see the Browns in all-brown or all-orange. :rolleyes:

I think the 5-year waiting period doesn't include things that aren't sold, like pants. It seems like a team can add an additional pants set or change the pants stripes without it being consdered a full "change". Similarly an alternate jersey can be added because you are still keeping the base uniform set unchanged. Also, adding a memorial patch or a word mark probably doesn't count as a major change. Hell, the NFL probably asked them to add the wordmark so they can go after counterfit jerseys as trademark or copywrite violations.

However, it does seem kind of flimsy with the Browns; maybe the NFL considers their 2006 change in the brown color, change in the brown jersey's striping pattern (and the design of both jerseys going from screened-on stripes to durene woven stripes) and the change to a grey face mask to be a "major change" that resets the 5-year clock.

However, it does seem kind of flimsy with the Browns; maybe the NFL considers their 2006 change in the brown color, change in the brown jersey's striping pattern (and the design of both jerseys going from screened-on stripes to durene woven stripes) and the change to a grey face mask to be a "major change" that resets the 5-year clock.

I think any change to the helmet qualifies as a "major change" since the NFL uses graphics of the helmet as alt logos for every team.

Archived