49ers uniform change coming up

JustForFun

jerry_rice4.jpg

Thin the pants stripes (it's 2009, not 1989), and you have what is pretty much a perfect uniform.

Of course, you'd expect them NOT to do that...

And I miss those Falcons duds as an aside...

Drop the sleeve stripes, thin the pants stripes, match the golds.

Maybe put a logo patch on the left shoulder, and you're done.

I love the oversized thick pant stripes. Its not an 80's thing, it was thier thing. The Browns had very thin stripes on the pants during the 80's, but thickened them up these days.

I hope they go full throwback. The Niners look, while it has some aspects that are nice, overall is an eyesore.

I have always hated the logo on the sleeves look. Only the 80's Seattle Seahawks did it right by incorporating it into the stripes. The way its done now, by the likes of the Niners, the current Seahawks, the Rats.... errrrrr.... Ravens, Bucs and others is so lame. The little logo is smaller than the Reebok logo. I dont mind the logo on the right or left of the chest (like th Steelers or Jets do), but the tiny sleeve logos have to go.

Anyway, rant over...... thanks for indulging.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerry_rice4.jpg

Thin the pants stripes (it's 2009, not 1989), and you have what is pretty much a perfect uniform.

Of course, you'd expect them NOT to do that...

And I miss those Falcons duds as an aside...

Drop the sleeve stripes, thin the pants stripes, match the golds.

Maybe put a logo patch on the left shoulder, and you're done.

I love the oversized thick pant stripes. Its not an 80's thing, it was thier thing.

Wasn't exactly a Niner tradition...check out John Brodie. Comparing the Brodie pants to Jerry Rice's, has there been a more extreme widening of pants stripes in uniform history? :blink:

Spurrier_Bio04.gif

Whatever the Niners do, they definitely need a uni set with THESE pants. :D

6872.gif

Seriously, that would be hilarious. Speaking of, why does this guy have an electric screwdriver in one hand??

And you guys had to tease me with those awesome Saints gold-on-white throwbacks! :cursing:

sf-v-no.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I thought the 49ers' current jerseys were a nice update at the time they were introduced (and a good way to incorporate the 1994 throwback look that they won a Super Bowl in), but... they do seem dated to me now. And way too busy. All of those colors, the over-thick numbers, the logo on top of the tightly-spaced stripes.

Not saying it would be wrong to stick with them, but I'm straying from the camp that jerseys need to have all team colors. It's a good marketing move, since fans most likely won't be wearing the helmets and pants to create the overall look, but simplicity in the face if all these complex designs is really growing on me. It doesn't necessarily have to be a throwback, just simpler.

I'd been thinking that the Giants road would look so much better if it was blue on white instead of red, but then I realized that would basically be a Cowboys jersey with an extra stripe. So although it seems like the Giants should have blue in there, I'm OK now that they don't, even if I like past roads better. They don't make as much sense when they aren't part of the whole package, but they always are where it counts -- on the field.

Same with the 49ers '80s throwback, which would almost be an inverted Giants road. It might not have all of the colors, but it still works as part of the package.

I love the oversized thick pant stripes. Its not an 80's thing, it was thier thing. The Browns had very thin stripes on the pants during the 80's, but thickened them up these days.

I hope they go full throwback. The Niners look, while it has some aspects that are nice, overall is an eyesore.

I have always hated the logo on the sleeves look. Only the 80's Seattle Seahawks did it right by incorporating it into the stripes. The way its done now, by the likes of the Niners, the current Seahawks, the Rats.... errrrrr.... Ravens, Bucs and others is so lame. The little logo is smaller than the Reebok logo. I dont mind the logo on the right or left of the chest (like th Steelers or Jets do), but the tiny sleeve logos have to go.

Anyway, rant over...... thanks for indulging.

Not quite - the really wide pants stripes was a 1970s thing. The Browns did have wide stripes on their pants in the 1970s - not quite as wide as the 49ers but they were still wider than most other teams during most of the orange pants era (outside of the first couple of years when they were narrow). The Browns returned to the narrow stripes when they went throwback in 1985. You are correct that the expansion Browns regular set is "modern width" and their throwback is narrow. It's hard to see but here is a photo of Brian Sipe during the "Mistake by the Lake" era:

Bsipecle2.jpg

Another example of hideously wide stripage would the the "Studio 54" Giants of 1975-1979 - take a center stripe wider than the Steelers stripe and add moderately wide stripes to the outside and you have:

NYGiants75.gif

You guys are crazy if you think there is something wrong with the current niners' uniforms. If anything lose the drop shadow and it will look a bit better, its not dated and those 80's era ones suck.

I agree that losing the drop shadow would be a huge improvement. Also, removing the gold from the numbers (doing a simple white with black outline on red and red with black outline on white) would greatly clean it up too. I like the black,red, and gold combo but need some restraint.

Man, some of you people are nuts. Seriously, you prefer this:

Solomon49.jpg

to this?:

RattaySF.jpg

Or this:

Stubblefieldrookie49.JPG

to this?:

streetsSF.jpg

Yep. I would take that every day of the week. But I guess I'm nuts.

:wacko:

As would I. It's beautiful because it's different. All these modern uniforms coming out now have a dark color and they all use it the same way, either as the numeral color or as the outline, and it gets boring. When the Falcons, Cardinals, Texans, Buccaneers, et al are all wearing red numbers with a dark outline, it's refreshing to see a team like the Niners or Giants roll out a shirt with striking red numbers. No outline, no fuss, just a great color and simple treatment that's really not the norm anymore. I would love to see the 80s look with standard-width pant stripes, striped socks at home and on the road, a red mask and a redesigned logo that eliminates the black.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'd say if they get rid of the 3D Shadowing on the numbers and reduce the black, it'd be close to perfect.

I'd really like to see the mock-up of that. When given the choice between 80's Niners and current Niners look, I choose the former. I HATE the 3D drop shadow look in all of sports, and the unnecessary addition of black. I really do wonder how the current Niners duds would look without the shadowing too.

How many hockey goalies do you see with tan pads?

If I were a goalie for an Original 6 or other classic looking team, I would definitely wear tan pads and a Luongo-esque throwback helmet design.

I'd just wear a baseball cap, and maybe some cricket pads. That's how old school I am. :P

I'll go absolutely postal if they go back to Gray facemasks.

Embrace the gray facemask. Love the gray facemask.

This is the WORST TREND in the NFL today!!!!!!!!! How many hockey goalies do you see with tan pads? How many baseball players do you see with just a navy or red batting helmet? This is a time where you can color coordinate your whole uni. Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This pet peeve of mine is bigger than the leotard socks/pants. (which I hate)

I love the grey face masks. They are a nod to the past and the tradition of the NFL. Most every team had them. With all the awful Minnesota's, Arizona's, Cincinnati's and the rest of the horrid nu-skool trends, I love the nod to the throw back that the grey mask is.

I love the grey face masks. They are a nod to the past and the tradition of the NFL. Most every team had them. With all the awful Minnesota's, Arizona's, Cincinnati's and the rest of the horrid nu-skool trends, I love the nod to the throw back that the grey mask is.

They're actually a nod to times when the only facemask color available was Gray. Once other colors started becoming available, almost every team jumped at the chance to color-coordinate them.

Now, they're just a pathetic attempt at going "old-skool".

:mad:

6872.gif

Seriously, that would be hilarious. Speaking of, why does this guy have an electric screwdriver in one hand??

The San Francisco Dremels?

Serious answer is that it's the same pistol as viewed from the bottom.

oakqb4.jpg

6872.gif

Its still a pretty humorous observation of a really odd perspective of a gun.

I used to like the distinctive plain block number font the 49ers uniforms had in the 1950s and 1960s and briefly revived in the 1970s, and I'd love to see that number font in the 49ers new uniforms for 2009. That number style featured a "2" that looked similar to the Champion "2" and a "7" that had a near right angle. Also, as far as I know, the only other teams to have used that "50s/60s 49ers Plain Block" number font were the NFL's Houston Oilers in the late-1970s and the Baylor University football team in the 1980s.

Which athletic supplier created that 50s/60s 49ers' number font?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

6872.gif

Ya think? :D

That was obviously the intent but it's a terrible rendition.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Ah, I was looking for this topic. I think the 49er's uniform from the 80's is so much better than what they have now. Granted, it's OK what they have now, but it seems a little more outdated as time goes on... maybe it's the dropshadow on the numbers.

I agree with some, bring back the 80's look, thin the pant stripes, add gold trimming to the jerseys, and wa la. There's no need for black outlining. Seriously, why on earth would a team change their look after winning 5 Super Bowl's like the 9ers did? You don't see the Steelers or Cowboys doing that crap. Keep the tradition, man!

Ah, I was looking for this topic. I think the 49er's uniform from the 80's is so much better than what they have now. Granted, it's OK what they have now, but it seems a little more outdated as time goes on... maybe it's the dropshadow on the numbers.

I agree with some, bring back the 80's look, thin the pant stripes, add gold trimming to the jerseys, and wa la. There's no need for black outlining. Seriously, why on earth would a team change their look after winning 5 Super Bowl's like the 9ers did? You don't see the Steelers or Cowboys doing that crap. Keep the tradition, man!

you've seen what they have done to their jerseys? granted they didn't completely overhaul them instead every year they added a subtle change here and a subtle change there until there is a cluster fluff of a uniform. just look at what they have done to the color scheme. light silver, dark silver, green silver, royal blue, navy blue, black etc. the cowboys would greatly benefit in a uniform change if not overhaul.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived