The (Un)official 2008 NFL Off-season Thread

tBBP

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is now a rumor that the Denver Detroit trade could become a three way trade including the Jets. Right now, it looks like it might look like this:

Lions receive CB Dominique Foxworth and a second-round pick

Broncos receive DT Dewayne Robertson

Jets receive DT Shaun Rogers

It also looks like there is a decent chance the Lions will trade for Jonathan Vilma. If we land him, and he stays healthy, it will be SCARY having him and Ernie Sims in the LB corps. I hope the Lions get him.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Leonard Little restructures contract. Yeah! Bill Simmons can not write about the Rams again. <_<

Adios Gus Frerotte.

Rams tender RFA OJ Atogwe

No word on Ike yet.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I love Tommy Kelly for the simple fact that he came out of Mississippi State. But it's more of a "love him because he's family" type deal, because he was lazy as hell back then, and he's still lazy. :P

But seriously...Tommy Kelly getting the largest contract for a DT EVER?! Stupid move by the Raiders, they will seriously regret this. Talk about overpaying.

Sticking on the Javon Walker topic...

COWBOYS EYEING JAVON?

Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2008, 2:52 p.m.

So Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wants to put some “wow” into the offense? One possibility we’re hearing about is by acquiring receiver Javon Walker from the Broncos.

A league source tells us that the Cowboys are working on a deal that would bring Walker to Big D. The problem, however, is Walker’s knee. He tore an ACL during the first game of the 2005 regular-season, and he missed plenty of time in 2007, his second year in Denver, due to lingering problems with it.

There’s a chance, said the source, that Walker wouldn’t pass a physical.

If Walker were to land in Dallas, however, things could get interesting. Said the source: “Can you picture [Terrell] Owens’ reaction? Walker has pissed people off in Green Bay and Denver because he wants the ball so much. They are supposedly friends so I’m sure they think it could work but it would be fun to watch.“

Owens and Walker made plenty of headlines three years ago in their efforts to get new contracts. Both threatened to hold out and, in the end, both caved.

Walker was traded to Denver in April 2006, and received the new contract he craved. After a solid first season with the Broncos, the team picked up an option for 2007. In hindsight, it’s yet another poor decision from Denver’s de facto G.M.

EDIT: In other news, Alge Crumpler signed with the Titans.

EDIT2: Alexander may be cut by the Seahawks in the next few days.

Also heard that Isaac Bruce got cut by the Rams. That's a bit surprising to say the least.

They didn't want to pay him a $2 million roster bonus.

I'm hoping there is a "wink wink" deal on the table for him to sign again in a couple of days.

If not....there most likely will be some borderline profane ranting directed at the Rams FO here.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just to recap the Colts off-season to date:

Dallas Clark got a big 'ol contract. I think he might have gotten a little more than he deserved, but I'd rather overpay a good player than underpay a bad one.

Rob Morris and Booger McFarland were both cut yesterday.

Considering the Colts' recent history with free agency, this is probably the last update I'll have to give until draft time.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Also heard that Isaac Bruce got cut by the Rams. That's a bit surprising to say the least.

They didn't want to pay him a $2 million roster bonus.

I'm hoping there is a "wink wink" deal on the table for him to sign again in a couple of days.

If not....there most likely will be some borderline profane ranting directed at the Rams FO here.

They'd deserve it, but I myself get to depressed to go on much of a rant. We'll see what I've got.

I picked him as my favorite when they moved here in 1995. It was a good choice. He was the only one who made it this far.

After a horrendous 3-13 season, the Rams made a couple of coaching and front office moves that had me genuinely excited.

Then they cut my favorite, many others' favorite, and the all time greatest St. Louis Ram. Over two million dollars. Two million.

I'll be damned if that doesn't make my blood boil. And it's not like the guy is just an aging player, so sports writers like Bernie Miklasz can spare me the repeated "remove the emotion, it's a business" BS.

First off, while it's quite understood it's a business and this stuff happens, you'll never remove the emotion from sports. Why would you want to? That's what they're all about.

Secondly, this guy can still play. Drop him to a third receiver if you must, but he's still quite capable of being a number two. He still runs routes with the best. He can still turn on a dime. He's still the greatest sideline receiver in the game today.

And aside from all that, he's been great to the St. Louis community.

Now he'll probably wind up playing for Mike Martz with the team he used to love to destroy, the 49ers.

I have little confidence that there's any wink-wink deal on the table. Afterall, the Rams tried to get him to accept a renegotiation from the 5 million he was owed to 3 million (I think basically dropping the roster bonus), and he declined. I'm a little surprised he'd decline because he loves it here, but I can't blame him. They did this to him two years ago already.

I'm terribly disappointed in the Rams organization for what they did. This is a bad move on and off the field and it doesn't even save them that much money.

Gah. Ridiculous. I'm beyond ticked.

Hm. I guess that was a decent rant.

Also, obviously, I love that Bruschi's coming back. he may have "lost a step" but he still had almost 100 tackles for the season and if they have to rotate him out more to keep him fresh, that's fine, but he's one of the few guys in the NFL that deserves to go out on his own terms.

Even people that hate the Patriots can't come up with much to say negatively about Bruschi.

Also, obviously, I love that Bruschi's coming back. he may have "lost a step" but he still had almost 100 tackles for the season and if they have to rotate him out more to keep him fresh, that's fine, but he's one of the few guys in the NFL that deserves to go out on his own terms.

Even people that hate the Patriots can't come up with much to say negatively about Bruschi.

I'll take the challenge, ;).

Other than being a Patriot, I guess I don't have anything to say about his character.

But I'm pretty sure he got beefed on steroids and I think he's borderline an idiot for returning after suffering a stroke. The only borderline part to it is just how much doctors are really okay with it. Obviously he got cleared, but I suspect very few medical professionals would tell you it's anything approaching a good idea.

I just don't see that as being a smart move, especially when he has a family.

Archived