Tampa Bay Rays to go after Barry Bonds?

B-Rich

" The Tampa Bay Rays have had internal discussions about the prospect of pursuing Barry Bonds.

Manager Joe Maddon said Monday he knew "little" about what was going on, but acknowledged some thought has been given to the career home-run leader."

link: Rays have internal discussions about Bonds

Maybe it will help with their attendance... but I doubt it. <_<

It is what it is.

Now Wade Boggs was a good pickup for a very, very young Rays team. Canseco on the other hand...well he hit 30 homeruns. Tampa's probably doing this for the sole sake of increasing their attendance, and thats about it.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

This is why the Rays will never have a winning season

No, the unbalanced schedule, the lack of a salary cap (or floor), and the presence of Boston, New York and Toronto in their division is why they will never have a winning season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well that hurts, but they have never committed to youth, they have never decided to let their kids play, so they get these old washed up players the rookies never get playing time and rot and don't pan out and boom they keep themselves in the same circle.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

If I were an AL team I absolutely would try to sign Bonds. Jersey sales would pay for themselves. You don't think Bonds doesn't add an extra 5,000 seats per night? Absolutely he does. And right on the heels of a rebranding, I think now is the perfect time.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Rays fans (are there Rays fans?) have been down this road before. First time around, it was Vaughn and Canseco. Now it's (allegedly) Bonds, Piazza, and Lofton. If the best they can offer fans is the last stop for old talent on the wane, well, brace for another year with three digits in the loss column.

And would Bonds really be a draw? I mean, all the records have been broken already. Maybe a short-lived boost if he was approaching 800, but I don't see him sticking around long enough for that.

Note to Rays management: Rickey Henderson is available.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Bonds to Tampa Bay?

What an ignominious end for his career.

But it would certainly be a fitting end, too.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I called this a few months ago, as Bonds was either approaching or just passed the record.

If he continues playing, he's likely going to want to go to a team without a large amount of media scrutiny and national exposure. In that regard, Tampa's a perfect match.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Look at the lineup the Rays would have if Bonds signs:

Iwamura

Crawford

Upton

Pena

Bonds

Baldelli/Floyd

Longoria

Navarro

Bartlett

Now I dont know about you, but if I had to pitch against that lineup, I'd be very, very worried.

Everyone they have interviewed is on board with the idea of bringing Bonds in and with this being the worst Rays team of the next 5 years, I think it makes the Rays a very, very scary team.

Rays2009sig.png

Take steroids out of the equation and Bonds would be signed by now.

I'd love to see him on my team...of course taking steroids out of the equation.

I drool over what it'd be like to see Pujols and Bonds in the same lineup. Could you imagine pitching to Bonds with Pujols on deck?? He's a liability in the field, but so is Chris Duncan.

Hmm. That's all I really have to say is hmm. I've heard Oakland a billion times as a possible destination, but this is the first time I have heard Tampa Bay. I guess it'd be sorta interesting.

As for Wade Boggs, that actually was probably the best move theyve made ever fanbase wise, because Tampa's only major moment in history came when Boggs got his 3,000th hit (also the only man ever to have his 3,000th hit be a home run).

With or without Bonds, Tampa will be alot better than people are giving them credit for. Theyve got alot of young talent and they also have the next Lou Brock (with alot more power though) in Carl Crawford. Also, don't forget that Carlos Pena reanked third in the AL in homers.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Archived