New Superstation WGN logo

oz615

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm watching "Rocky" but I keep heading down to the logo. I guess it makes sense since humans always look at eyes first and foremost.

Really terrible logo.

I saw Rocky on in the bar at work I figured this logo had something to do with a Rocky marathon or something as I didn't get a great look at it... I never imagined it was the new WGN logo. Awful. What was the thought process on this one?

You have a Bar AT WORK??? Are you taking applications??? ;)

Boy! after the janitor comes and clean up the puke from my desk, I'll gather my thoughts and see if I can say anything positive about this "graphic element"...

Wait, wait, I think I feel something... and no it's not the rest of my breakfast coming back... I love the colour scheme!!! oooppsss!!! it's not 1989 any more...

Wow! if they wanted to use EYES, surely they could have gotten a better "iconic"/logo-like set drawn, and go easy on the colours...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I'm watching "Rocky" but I keep heading down to the logo. I guess it makes sense since humans always look at eyes first and foremost.

Really terrible logo.

I saw Rocky on in the bar at work I figured this logo had something to do with a Rocky marathon or something as I didn't get a great look at it... I never imagined it was the new WGN logo. Awful. What was the thought process on this one?

You have a Bar AT WORK??? Are you taking applications??? ;)

I'm a server at Chili's. It's not such a great gig. ^_^

IUe6Hvh.png

Does WGN wear tight rolled Z. Cavaricci's and Cross Colours now? Did Nagel design this piece of :censored:?

WGN, the 80's called, and they are begging for their logo back.

So true. I'm pretty sure I've seen that "logo" before. It was the cover of a video game I had for my Commodore 64!

Welcome to the world of Randy Michaels, a man who fancies himself a premiere media maverick, and was brought on board by the crazy-ass new owner of Tribune Co., Sam Zell. Michaels' track record includes helming a radio group called Jacor, and giving them the slogan "The Noise You Can't Ignore." Sound familiar? Additionally, Michaels was the impetus behind the rebranding of a Top 40 radio station in Chicago from Z-95 to "HELL 94.7" in the early '90s. Reaction was so blindingly negative, it became "Hot 94.7" about a month later, and became a simulcast of an AM talk station a short bit after that.

In other words, expect lots of products under the Trib's umbrella to undergo change for the sake of change, with a focus on "edgy" and "unexpected" and "revolutionary" without any consideration of said changes actually being, you know, good.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I no longer get WGN where I live, so could someone explain to me the difference (if there is one) between WGN9 and WGN America?

As far as the logo goes, I can only pray that the emo eyes aren't being incorporated into Cubs broadcasts. WTF are they thinking?! :mad:

6uXNWAo.png

Outside of the occasional sports telecast and newscasts, WGN9's and WGNA's programming lineups are almost completely different. WGN9 is a CW affiliate, showing its primetime lineup as well as CW/WB reruns in the afternoons. It also features the worst in daytime talk, putting Maury and Steve Wilkos back-to-back. Channel 9 also features a 2-hour local morning news show, and carries many more Cubs, Sox, Bulls, and (soon) Blackhawks games than their cable partner. WGNA features mainly syndicated reruns which haven't been picked up by other cable networks, and edited-for-TV movies. I don't how much overlap there is between the two stations' rerun lineups, or if there is any at all.

Oh, and welcome back.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

before

SuperstationWGN2007.jpg

after

Wgnamerica.jpg

don't like the new logo because that is something that would be used for a music or even a science fiction network,what about y'all?

Just get rid of the stupid 'punk-rock' eyes and we'll be done with it. I really do not get the purpose of the eyes. Seriously. :(

temp.png

TorontoMapleLeafs1.png

Everything about this logo is just wrong. Wasn't there anyone (ANYONE?!) through the proces that maybe said "uhm, that's not really a solid logo"? If not, Jesus Christ......

AMEN! You have to question how something THIS bad gets greenlighted. If you took a poll of people I'd imagine 90% would consider this a downgrade...and 10% would be blind and have no opinion.

jongarlanduj6.jpg

Outside of the occasional sports telecast and newscasts, WGN9's and WGNA's programming lineups are almost completely different. WGN9 is a CW affiliate, showing its primetime lineup as well as CW/WB reruns in the afternoons. It also features the worst in daytime talk, putting Maury and Steve Wilkos back-to-back. Channel 9 also features a 2-hour local morning news show, and carries many more Cubs, Sox, Bulls, and (soon) Blackhawks games than their cable partner. WGNA features mainly syndicated reruns which haven't been picked up by other cable networks, and edited-for-TV movies. I don't how much overlap there is between the two stations' rerun lineups, or if there is any at all.

Oh, and welcome back.

To expand on Sodboy's point, it's true that there's not much common programming between the local and national versions of WGN-TV. The common programming between two are the midday and primetime newscasts, the Steve Wilkos Show (local WGN airs at it at a different time than national WGN), Soul Train, local specials (parades, the now-annual Bozo-Garfield-Ray Rayner special during Xmas), and of course Cubs and White Sox games (the same amount air both locally and nationally. With the Bulls, Channel 9 shows 25 telecasts per season, while WGN America only airs 15 of those games (you can thank the NBA for that)...with the Blackhawks, Channel 9 is scheduled to broadcast 20 games next year, while WGN America is completely shut out (you can thank Versus and the NHL for that).

But the difference in programming goes to back to 1990, when the Syndex laws were created by the FCC, which protected a local station's rights to particular programming they owned for their market, while the out-of-town station (in this case, WGN) airing the same exact program had to be either blacked out or replaced by another show. Gradually over the years, the programming between the local and national WGN-TV became more separate, and some people still don't notice the difference between the two.

Since WGN is celebrating thier 60th anniversarry I think that it's would of made sense with a classics looking logo.

MONICA SANTA MARIA (DEC 6 1972- MAR 15 1994)

KRISSY TAYLOR (MAY 15 1978- JUL 3 1995)

YOU WILL BE MISS.

Archived