Online Petiton to save Yankee Stadium

NoHoJoe

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is...the current Stadium is not the "House that Ruth Built," it's the "House the City of New York Renovated from 1974-1975." There has been considerable history made in it since that time, to be sure, but of the specific historical occasions cited by the petition, only three (two Papal visits and Reggie's three-homer WS game) actually occurred in Yankee Stadium as it, more or less, stands today.

I love the Yankees, and this iteration of Yankee Stadium is the only one I've ever known, and has given me countless personal memories...but even beyond the historical whitewashing that took place in the 70s, it's not a good facility (the gorgeous new stadium is LONG overdue), and, as a practical matter, one of the conditions of building the new Stadium on a public park was that the Yankees are required to replace that parkland acre for acre, and using the site of the current Stadium (which has a smaller footprint than the new one will) to that end goes a long way towards accomplishing that.

Why? If we saved every friggin building or whatever that had any history to it, we'd have no space to live! There's no need to keep a full stadium there unless you're going to actually use it, and if that's the case, why are you building a new one and why didn't you just update it. Blow it up. Stop looking at what's behind you because you'll miss what's up ahead of you.

They are saving most of the stadium

The field will be left in tact as will the lower grand stands.

It will become a major high school field for NYC I think that is a fitting end for the umm not so original Yankee Stadium

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm sorry but I don't get these things either. So what, there's a lot of history. You have to improve by getting new technology. You make room for this by getting rid of the old. It's not like by tearing down the place, people's memories are automatically erased. I see this with old schools and libraries, etc. Get over it. Life goes on when we go away. What do people do with these old buildings anyway?

KISSwall09.jpg

I'm all for the project they're doing, so sorry. No soap.

Any chance that you meant soup?

As for the petition, I'm as sentimental as the next guy. It depressed me to see Memorial Stadium torn down. However, you eventually do have to get over it and move on . . . especially when something really nice is being offered in its place (as opposed to replacing the old school or library with some semi-generic new building out of the Architecture 101 book).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Any chance that you meant soup?

No, no chance. "No soap" is an old-timey term, you young whippersnapper.

Okay, then. Maybe I'll send you a case of Geritol or a Lawrence Welk album for wasting your time.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 3 weeks later...
13 signatures and COUNTING!!!!

TELL YOUR FRIENDS!!!!!

TEAR DOWN YANKEE STADIUM?

HELL NO!!!!!

I laughed out loud at this. Then I scrolled up and saw that you were serious.

Now I'm laughing my ass off.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

TELL YOUR FRIENDS!!!!!

HELL NO!!!!!

I hope the demolition is on youtube.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sorry, can't do it. It's called progress and sometimes something has to go in order for another to flourish. Yankee Stadium is a great old yard but so was Tiger Stadium, Ebbets Field, Old Comiskey, Memorial, The Polo Grounds, Forbes Field, Sportsman's Park, League Park, and so on. It would be one thing if another, better, Yankee Stadium wasn't going up right next door but it is and the old one needs to get out of the way. Sorry.

BB52Big.jpg

No intelligent discussion has ever included the phrase "on-line petition", except when used in the context of "no intelligent discussion has ever included the phrase "on-line petition".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

TELL YOUR FRIENDS!!!!!

HELL NO!!!!!

It's people like this that make me want to be the first one to launch the wrecking ball. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived