Favorite Sports Traditions

ShinyHubCaps

Today I got to thinking about all of the traditions in sports... things that either have special meaning, and therefore, people do them as a way to honor the team, and some things that are so old that people forget why they ever did that stuff in the first place.

So while thinking about the many types of sports traditions, I know I forgot quite a few. And, instead of asking the board to name all of the sports traditions they can think of, I'd rather just hear what your favorites are.

My favorites:

* In baseball, when a player comes out of the dugout to make a curtain call. It's nice to see the player's appreciated for their performance, and it just seems significant.

* Lambeau Leap; not only is it great to see the fans swarm the player, but now everyone in the NFL wants to do it. I was worried that the excessive taunting penalties might affect the Lambeau Leap, but they haven't yet, and hopefully, they never will. It seems like a fitting way for the players to endear themselves to the fans, and what better place than Green Bay, home to the NFL's only fan-owned team.

* Seventh-inning stretch; where else can you hear 40,000 people sing "Take me out to the ballgame"? It's weird, because often I look around and no one around me is singing, but the stadium is still plenty loud with people singing. They know what to do.

Least favorites:

* Rushing the court after a win; people do it too often to be special. If it were less often, it might be fine. However, people still get injured and stuff while in the act of participating, and then they make a big deal when security uses force to stop them. Fans have no more business on the court than the players do in the stands.

* Booing the home team; I make comments about the home team sometimes, but I would never boo them. I think it discourages them from doing a desirable outcome, and they need their home fans to uplift their spirits a bit.

So go ahead, list yours! I need to hear ones that I may have forgotten, as well as ones that are generally liked or disliked across any type of sport.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today I got to thinking about all of the traditions in sports... things that either have special meaning, and therefore, people do them as a way to honor the team, and some things that are so old that people forget why they ever did that stuff in the first place.

So while thinking about the many types of sports traditions, I know I forgot quite a few. And, instead of asking the board to name all of the sports traditions they can think of, I'd rather just hear what your favorites are.

My favorites:

* In baseball, when a player comes out of the dugout to make a curtain call. It's nice to see the player's appreciated for their performance, and it just seems significant.

* Lambeau Leap; not only is it great to see the fans swarm the player, but now everyone in the NFL wants to do it. I was worried that the excessive taunting penalties might affect the Lambeau Leap, but they haven't yet, and hopefully, they never will. It seems like a fitting way for the players to endear themselves to the fans, and what better place than Green Bay, home to the NFL's only fan-owned team.

* Seventh-inning stretch; where else can you hear 40,000 people sing "Take me out to the ballgame"? It's weird, because often I look around and no one around me is singing, but the stadium is still plenty loud with people singing. They know what to do.

Least favorites:

* Rushing the court after a win; people do it too often to be special. If it were less often, it might be fine. However, people still get injured and stuff while in the act of participating, and then they make a big deal when security uses force to stop them. Fans have no more business on the court than the players do in the stands.

* Booing the home team; I make comments about the home team sometimes, but I would never boo them. I think it discourages them from doing a desirable outcome, and they need their home fans to uplift their spirits a bit.

So go ahead, list yours! I need to hear ones that I may have forgotten, as well as ones that are generally liked or disliked across any type of sport.

Like: The Flyover- i don't know how much it actually cost us taxpayers or how it may mess up other air traffic, but I like it.

Dislike 1: Playing of "Rock 'N Roll, Part 2" by Gary Glitter. He has a history of child pron and should not be complimented with song royalties.

Dislike 2: Wisconsin Badgers and "Jump Around". It was released in 1992, it is close that those who now enroll don't know who spare they were, but were held up by Everlast's rap skills (on a previous Rhymes Syndicate album which most don't know about), but heck Kris Kross has been for gotten, why not this? And Kris Kross had a longer stay at #1 from Billboard.

Dislike 3: Hearing "Zombie Nation" and "Samba de Janeiro", also known as "Samba E Gol!(1998)" at games. Like them both, but each have been out there for too long. There are other stadium anthems out which you all may name and I may agree with or not (e.g. "Hells's Bells", "Welcome to the Jungle", "Welcome to the Terrordome", " In Da Club", and especially "Crazy Train"). Think of something new. Heck, a song will get sued of someone thinks their notes were copied, so just get something more. Hopefully, I covered songs from every league in this.

Likes --

1. White/Red/Black/[iNSERT COLOR HERE]-Outs -- A recent tradition, but it looks very cool to see a whole stadium in one color.

2. Throwing toilet paper on the court after the first field goal (Palestra only) -- An awesome, harmless tradition that was, unfortunately, co-opted everywhere and ultimately banned.

3. Throwing the ball back to the other team after an injury stoppage in soccer -- This little gesture of sportsmanship gets me every time. In some respects, it amazes me that it has survived until today.

4. Being allowed to keep foul balls and home runs -- 'nuf said.

5. Dutch soccer (football) fans singing to "Aida"

6. Rivalry trophies -- The Axe, The Little Brown Jug, The Old Oaken Bucket, etc.

Dislikes --

1. Yelling out words during the National Anthem -- As nice as it is to have a unique local touch, it annoys me to hear Baltimore fans yell "O" during the National Anthem. I always feel like I'm just about the only person not doing it. If memory serves me, don't Braves fan also yell "Braves"?

2. Singers reinventing the National Anthem -- I'm not sure if this counts as a "sports tradition" per se, but I can't stand when singers feel the need to infuse the National Anthem with their own unique song stylings. I know it started long before the Mariah Carey era, but it seems to have become progressively worse with singers of her ilk, all of whom feel the need to stretch out single notes into showcases for their vocal range by singing scales (complete with distracting hand gestures). Possible worst offender -- Steven Tyler (". . . and the home of the . . . Indianapolis 500!")

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Dislikes: The practice of throwing opposing team's home run balls back onto the field at Citizens Bank Park. It was a tradition blaitantly stolen from the Cubs, and I've seen threats of violence against otherwise unwilling participants. Truley an embarassment.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dislikes: The practice of throwing opposing team's home run balls back onto the field at Citizens Bank Park. It was a tradition blaitantly stolen from the Cubs, and I've seen threats of violence against otherwise unwilling participants. Truley an embarassment.

To me, this is a bit like the Palestra toilet paper tradition. It was a nice, unique tradition at Wrigley that has been co-opted by other teams. It happens at Camden Yards too, though I'm not aware of any threats of violence.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Like:

Liverpool and "You'll Never Walk Alone"

Most college football entrances and live mascots

The Black Hole in Oakland

The Lambeau Leap

Dislike:

Rushing the court/field when it's really nothing major (beat top five team if heavy underdog, win conference championship if not done in last 20 years, end 12+ game losing streak in football, 30+ in basketball)

Getting fined for rushing the court/field.

Anything other than "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" in 7th inning stretch.

Least favorites:

Couldn't agree with you more on this one, rushing the field is waaaaaaay too overrated. Go ahead, be excited when your team wins, but enjoy it in the stands, leave the field to the players on it.

Good idea for a thread.

Not a hockey fan but 'skating the Cup' and letting each winning player keep the Stanley Cup for a few days are both very cool.

340x.jpg

Packers players riding kids' bikes to their practice facility.

340x.jpg

Chants like "Who Dat?" in New Orleans can either be annoying (a few diehards yelling) or incredible (entire Superdome chanting in unison). For those not familiar, it goes, "Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say they gonna beat them Saints?" I actually preferred the simpler "Go Saints Go!" from the Tulane Stadium days.

Oklahoma has a great one, video doesn't do it justice but when one side of the stadium yells "BOOMER!" and the other responds with "SOONER!", it's

Running out the Sooner Schooner after each score.

Flyovers are great, as are other military traditions like seeing the Army cadets in their capes at the Army-Navy game.

Inspiring renditions of the National Anthem. Say what you will about Whitney Houston but IMO hers was still the best ever.

Lambeau Leap

Fight songs after scores though it's a little overdone when they play them after every good play.

Player-specific intro music in baseball.

The 'big ones' like laying the Garland of Roses on the Kentucky Derby winner, presenting the Lombardi Trophy, or fitting the green jacket on the Masters winner.

Dislikes

Agree w/ previous posters about people butchering or altering the National Anthem. Right up there with them are the blowholes who can't be bothered to remove their hats as the NA is sung.

Rushing the field/court/diamond and especially tearing down goalposts.

Players celebrating the most routine plays as if they just won the Super Bowl, especially when their team is down by 21 points.

Goofy mascot-related noises like the screech the Georgia Dome plays when the Falcons get a first down. I was especially distressed to discover that this realistic detail existed in either Madden or ESPN 2K5, can't remember which one.

"Look at me" celebrations (a la Chad Joke-o Sinko, TO, etc.)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I can't think of my likes off the top of the head, but there is one dislike that I thought of immediately when I happened upon this thread.

:censored: in' Rocky Top. Why must they play that song after EVERY SINGLE PLAY?!

Yeah, if you want to be original, take a bat with you to the stadium. If you catch a home run ball from the visiting team, FUNGO it back onto the field. Put on a hitting display.

nav-logo.png

Dislikes:

Storming the Court/Field: Even if you are marked as an underdog, you should have faith in your team at all times. If you storm the field after you beat a team that you weren't supposed to beat, you are basically admitting you thought you would lose. I'm not saying be like "We will be everyone by 50 points" but you have to believe before every game that you have a legit chance at winning if the team plays to the best of their abilities.

Stomping on the other team's logo: If you want the other team and their fans to respect your ability, don't make them hate you by being a dick.

The No Fun League: It's a game allow for some fun and goofing off. If the other team laughs at a TO or Randy Moss celebration cause its funny and not disrespectful, why should the NFL fine them?

The aforementioned playoff handshake

Civil Rivalries

Winning. lol

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

2. Singers reinventing the National Anthem -- I'm not sure if this counts as a "sports tradition" per se, but I can't stand when singers feel the need to infuse the National Anthem with their own unique song stylings. I know it started long before the Mariah Carey era, but it seems to have become progressively worse with singers of her ilk, all of whom feel the need to stretch out single notes into showcases for their vocal range by singing scales (complete with distracting hand gestures). Possible worst offender -- Steven Tyler (". . . and the home of the . . . Indianapolis 500!")

Normally, I agree, with one huge exception: Marvin Gaye's version of the Star Spangled Banner is incredible.

Storming the field after a major football game and tearing down the goalposts!

To paraphrase a line in the Musical "Fiddler On The Roof"......TRADITION!!!

Dislikes:

Those Thundersticks!

Can you say Carpal Tunnel Syndeome?

And...

FOX SPORTS NOT BRAODCASTING THE SINGING OF "O CANADA" DURING THE PREGAME CEREMONIES OF THE MLB ALL-STAR GAME!!!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Hockey Playoff handshake

The Terrible Towel - The original and still the best. Plus all proceeds from towel sales go to autism research.

Dislike:

All other "non-Terrible" towels. Most of the time teams hand out white towels to be waved. This never made any sense to me, isn't waving a white flag the same as saying, "we surrender"?

Dislikes --

1. Yelling out words during the National Anthem -- As nice as it is to have a unique local touch, it annoys me to hear Baltimore fans yell "O" during the National Anthem. I always feel like I'm just about the only person not doing it. If memory serves me, don't Braves fan also yell "Braves"?

I agree, I never say "O" during the National Anthem. But the worst was at a game I attended earlier this season. Right before it ended a red sox fan yelled "Go Red Sox" followed by a bunch of cussing from O's fans. It just shows the lack of national pride and respect for the country many Americans seem to have.

Archived