MLB Playoffs

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I'm from Minnesota and I like seeing the Twins do well, I'm rooting for the Rays in the American Leauge. If the Twins (assuming they're the Central Division champions) win, that's cool. I'm indifferent between the Red Sox and Angels. In the National League, I'm rooting for the Phillies for no other reason than Chris Coste. (On a related note, why is that man not starting over Ruiz?) After them, it's the Brew Crew, the Dodgers, then the Cubs.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I'm rooting for the Phillies for no other reason than Chris Coste. (On a related note, why is that man not starting over Ruiz?)

Because he'll be 36 in February, he's not as good defensively and he gets a hit maybe once every 5 days.....not that Ruiz is the catcher of the future either (Lou Marson is)...

I'm rooting for the Phillies for no other reason than Chris Coste. (On a related note, why is that man not starting over Ruiz?)

Because he'll be 36 in February, he's not as good defensively and he gets a hit maybe once every 5 days.....not that Ruiz is the catcher of the future either (Lou Marson is)...

The pitchers like throwing to Ruiz more than Coste too. The man can hit though - I'll give him that. Ruiz will catch Hamels on Wednesday, but Coste could get the nod on Thursday.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As a fan, I'd love to see a Minnesota-Cubs series.

As one who'd love to stick it to MLB, though, I want Tampa-Milwaukee. Small markets FTW.

I couldn't agree more.

Is it really sticking it to MLB if Selig's team gets in?

Maybe not but it still screws FOX and ESPN and that's good enough for me.

BB52Big.jpg

As one who'd love to stick it to MLB, though, I want Tampa-Milwaukee. Small markets FTW.

I couldn't agree more.

Weren't the Twins slated for contraction? I'd think that the Twins over Brewers sticks it hard to Selig, and the networks too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The pitchers like throwing to Ruiz more than Coste too.

Really? I've heard that Coste is a favored target among pitchers that he catches. Ruiz must be really likeable for that to be true (not saying that it isn't.)

Because he'll be 36 in February, he's not as good defensively and he gets a hit maybe once every 5 days

Coste is old, but Ruiz is no spring chicken (he's 33 I think). Offensively, Coste is better than Ruiz (and it's not really close). Over the past 3 seasons, Coste has been just below average at the plate (which at the catcher position is pretty valuable) whereas Ruiz is around 20% below average. This season, Coste has struggled a bit (91 OPS+), but Ruiz has been abysmal (61 OPS+).

Defensively, their pick off rates are about the same (23%) and Coste does a slightly better job at preventing Passed Balls and Wild Pitches. I'd say it's essentially a push between the two defensively.

I'm not saying that Coste is an all-star or that he's the catcher of the future. On virtually any other roster, Coste is and should be a backup catcher. On the Phillies, he should be starting (over Ruiz at least).

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I couldn't agree more.

It's not really sticking it to ESPN when they aren't airing a single game of the postseason. It would probably help them has most of the lost baseball viewers would go their way.

I couldn't agree more.

It's not really sticking it to ESPN when they aren't airing a single game of the postseason. It would probably help them has most of the lost baseball viewers would go their way.

Geez...Seriously? OK, it would screw FOX and ESPN would have to do a bunch of research on teams they've never heard of.

(I think the whole point was simply that it would be nice to see a couple of small market teams in The World Series.)

BB52Big.jpg

I don't understand rooting for "the networks to get screwed." If you're a fan of baseball, don't you want ratings to be high, so that networks can bill higher, so that teams can make more money? It's not like Fox is going to forfeit its rights to baseball when the Brewers win the pennant, you guys.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The pitchers like throwing to Ruiz more than Coste too.

Really? I've heard that Coste is a favored target among pitchers that he catches. Ruiz must be really likeable for that to be true (not saying that it isn't.)

Because he'll be 36 in February, he's not as good defensively and he gets a hit maybe once every 5 days

Coste is old, but Ruiz is no spring chicken (he's 33 I think). Offensively, Coste is better than Ruiz (and it's not really close). Over the past 3 seasons, Coste has been just below average at the plate (which at the catcher position is pretty valuable) whereas Ruiz is around 20% below average. This season, Coste has struggled a bit (91 OPS+), but Ruiz has been abysmal (61 OPS+).

Defensively, their pick off rates are about the same (23%) and Coste does a slightly better job at preventing Passed Balls and Wild Pitches. I'd say it's essentially a push between the two defensively.

I'm not saying that Coste is an all-star or that he's the catcher of the future. On virtually any other roster, Coste is and should be a backup catcher. On the Phillies, he should be starting (over Ruiz at least).

Ruiz is actually 29. My opinion that the pitchers like throwing to him better is based on comments from Hamels, Rich Dubee, Uncle Charlie, and Pat Gillick. It's not that they like him as a guy, they just like the way he calls the game. Coste is also brutal on defense.

Coste has made a very valuable contribution to the team, but I think if he played a bigger role, his weaknesses would be exposed. They're using him just right.

Here's how I see it.

ALDS:

Anaheim over Boston in 5 (This is the marquee matchup of the 1st Round. You have to think that the Angels' bats can get hot fast and with the Sox facing a possible issue with Beckett, it could be quite the battle)

Tampa Bay over Minnesota/Chicago in 4 (The Rays have all the momentum here. That place in St. Petersburg will be packed and now that there's a chance that either team could have to play in a play-in game for the division, the edge easily goes to the Rested Rays)

NLCS:

Philadelphia over Milwaukee in 5 (Good for the Brew Crew to get in. The problem is lack of experience and the Phils are more then happy to get them)

Los Angeles over Chicago in 5 (Forget the bias, the Cubs might of shot themselves in the foot by losing yesterday. The Dodgers have the bats to possibly take out the Northsiders' good pitching. That, and with the Dodgers win the world is saved for another baseball season from armageddon)

ALCS: Anaheim over Tampa Bay in 6

NLCS: Philadelphia over Los Angeles in 7

World Series: Phillies over Angels in 7

Alright -- fearless predictions.

NLDS:

Phillies over Brewers in 4. The Phillies will lose when Sabathia pitches. That's it. They're too hungry and the Brewers were limping down the stretch.

Cubs over Dodgers in 5. A great series shaping up, but I like the Cubbies.

ALDS:

Anaheim over Boston in 5. Boston has the experience, but LA has the weapons.

Tampa over the AL Central winner in 4. This is Tampa's year. Ride 'em.

------------------------

NLCS:

Phillies over Cubs in 7.

ALCS:

Angels over Rays in 5.

-------------------------

World Series

Angels over Phillies in 5.

philly.png

Archived