MLB 2009

mania

Personally, I loved what they wore during Ripken's last years, and feel they've been slowly chipping away at them.

I miss the placket piping.

That was my favorite too, especially with the black script on the front and name and number on the back. Though, if they at least brought back the full piping even with the orange script and lettering, it'd be a great look, better what they have now.

No, no, no!!! The Orioles look much better with orange script and name/numbers on back. The black script made those uniforms look too dark and boring, IMHO. I also disliked the placket piping. The current (for now?) look is much cleaner.

The real irony about the uniforms you guys love is that they used the orange script, etc. on the road uniforms, while using the much heavier/somber looking black script on the home uniforms. At the least set before that had it reversed (orange script at home, black on the road).

Ironic?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :D

I'd be fine with the orange script if they brought back the piping. Either bring it back or scrap the sleeve piping - don't like it when teams just use one or the other.

Maybe not the best choice of words. In any event, the point I was trying to make is that road uniforms obviously look darker because they are gray (or some color other than white). However, the uniform set in question used a dark script at home, which darkened those uniforms, while using the brighter orange script on the otherwise darker road uniforms. I just always found that unusual (which may be the word I should have used in the first place).

I will admit that my opinion on this subject may also be driven by a subconscious bias. The Orioles used exclusively orange script from before my birth until I was 21, then used the orange script at home for another 5 years or so. For that reason, I always think of the Orioles as a team that should use orange script, at least at home (though I prefer it on both jerseys). Another way to put it is that I think of orange as the Orioles' primary color, with black being more of the accent color, as opposed to the Giants, who I picture as a team that uses black as its primary color and orange as the accent color.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another way to put it is that I think of orange as the Orioles' primary color, with black being more of the accent color, as opposed to the Giants, who I picture as a team that uses black as its primary color and orange as the accent color.

Good point.

Never thought of that. I guess thats why I tend to prefer the black script with orange highlights as opposed to the other way around. I've always admired the Giants' look and think its one of the best in baseball.

My pet peave about the Orange script against the white jerseys is that it seems to get a bit lost for me. It doesn't pop off of the uniform. Maybe they could include a thicker black outline???? IDK, it just doesn't seem to do it for me for some reason.

I'm kind of torn about whether the Phillies should do the gold-trimmed jersey thing next year. I guess it's kind of become customary, so I guess they should do it, but I can't imagine that it will look very good.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm kind of torn about whether the Phillies should do the gold-trimmed jersey thing next year. I guess it's kind of become customary, so I guess they should do it, but I can't imagine that it will look very good.

You know what they really should address?

The fact that they have a white trim that is barely visible around their wordmark on their white uniforms. It drives me crazy. How about removing the trim and making the script thicker?

The trim looks great on the grey away unis but way out of place on the home ones.

maybe its just me but it was driving me nuts the whole series.

The fact that they have a white trim that is barely visible around their wordmark on their white uniforms. It drives me crazy. How about removing the trim and making the script thicker?

The trim looks great on the grey away unis but way out of place on the home ones.

I actually disagree completey on both points. I think the white trim on the home is necessary to distinguish the lettering from the pinstripes. I guess I do agree that the script should be a little thicker though.

On the road jersey, I think the white trim looks like crap, and makes the script appear like just a big patch slapped on to the jersey. In fact, that's what it is - the chainstitched letters are sewn on a white patch which is applied to the jersey. I'd love them to pull a Dodgers and eliminate the white trim from all aspects of the road uniform.

Actually, I'd like a total redesign, but that ain't happening.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I actually disagree completey on both points. I think the white trim on the home is necessary to distinguish the lettering from the pinstripes. I guess I do agree that the script should be a little thicker though.

On the road jersey, I think the white trim looks like crap, and makes the script appear like just a big patch slapped on to the jersey. In fact, that's what it is - the chainstitched letters are sewn on a white patch which is applied to the jersey. I'd love them to pull a Dodgers and eliminate the white trim from all aspects of the road uniform.

Actually, I'd like a total redesign, but that ain't happening.

We agree to disagree then.

I think what the Dodgers did was half-assed. They removed the white outline but didn't make the script thicker. It looks bad.

If the Phillies want to differentiate the wordmark from the pinstripes then keep the outlines but make the script thicker. Even if they didn't keep the oulines I think it would work just fine. How about putting a blue outline around the red script and making the blue stars thicker? That would work fine as well.

The white trim was all but invisible, even on HD sets. Removing it didn't impact the thickness of the letters.

I'm aware that I'm nit-picking...but I beg to differ.

I found the white trim around the lettering in the grey uniforms necessary to help differentiate between blue and grey. As thin as it was, it was still noticeable enough to work. The funny thing is that I notice the absence of white more now then I did the presence of it before. To me that validates the need for it to be included.

The white trim was all but invisible, even on HD sets. Removing it didn't impact the thickness of the letters.

I'm aware that I'm nit-picking...but I beg to differ.

I found the white trim around the lettering in the grey uniforms necessary to help differentiate between blue and grey. As thin as it was, it was still noticeable enough to work. The funny thing is that I notice the absence of white more now then I did the presence of it before. To me that validates the need for it to be included.

On the gray, I can see.

But did you think that the blue numbers on the home whites were too thin before they dropped the pointless white outline?

A local Baltimore radio station claims the Orioles' home uniforms will also be tweaked and there wll be a new cap

http://wnst.net/wordpress/drewforrester/20...alute-maryland/

The O?s will debut new uniforms and a new hat on November 12 and lo and behold, the team finally looks like they?re going to get it right.

The team?s new home jersey will be ?modernized? somewhat and the jersey will now sport a patch of the Maryland flag on the shoulder.

Of course, the BIG news is that the team - after 35 years of stupidity (some of what didn?t include the current ownership group) - is returning the word BALTIMORE to the front of the road jersey.

I've seen the new uniforms and I can confirm the above. But I'm really not impressed with the changes. They've added a whole bunch of unnecessary crap that doesn't belong, and the Baltimore script looks terrible, in my honest opinion. My only thumbs up goes to the new home BP uniforms.

I absolutely loved what they wore this year; it was simple, it was clean, and it looked great.

Could you elaborate on the unnecessary crap? I'm just curious. It was my understanding that they'd only change the road uniforms to Baltimore and add a patch. I'm kinda hoping they didn't go overboard with the changes.

Who knows if the Phils will wear gold? New tradition or not, they'd probably wear hot pink trim if it meant they were receiving their 2008 World Series rings. They really seemed to want that series, so my hats off, even though I rooted for the Rays.

I don't mind the white trim on the homes, but I don't like it on the roads simply because the whole white patch makes it look cheap and slapped together in the middle of the word--too much white space between some of the letters. (I also wonder, as just a side note, if there would be a way to put "Philadelphia" on the roads. Yes, "Phillies" acknowledges the city pretty well, but I'm just curious.)

I'm not completely sold on elimating the white trim entirely, a la the Dodgers. As a diehard Reds fan, I always wished in the eighties that they would add some white trim around their letters and numbers. I thought they looked amateurish without it. I felt the same way about the navy block "Boston" the Sawx used during that same era. Now, I hear more and more on these boards that love the Dodgers elimination of white trim on the roads, and wishing that the Yanks would do the same. I just don't know. I like how the Yankees' roads look.

Back to the gold trim item: wonder if the Yanks will do that next time they win the Series. Would the sky fall or something? Especially since the Red Sox started it (didn't they?)

Back to the gold trim item: wonder if the Yanks will do that next time they win the Series. Would the sky fall or something? Especially since the Red Sox started it (didn't they?)

Well, actually Majestic started it with MLB's blessing to sell more jerseys.

The Red Sox didn't wear their jerseys for actual games, tho. At least not in 2005.

We agree to disagree then.

I think what the Dodgers did was half-assed. They removed the white outline but didn't make the script thicker. It looks bad.

Amen to that . I feel like the current Dodger road looks like a replica. Here's the replica from MLB.com:

pMLB2-5153544dt.jpg

Now here's the current Road:

maddux_vs_philadelphia.jpg

Now IMHO it looks a 1000 times better with the white outline and piping:

Example_Grip_CircleChange_EricGagne_001.jpg

I hope they change it back PRONTO!

Archived