MLB 2009

mania

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Individually, I like them. As a set, they've got quite a mess -- or something for everyone, I guess.

I liked their previous set, even with the disconnect between the W and the other fonts, so I'll miss the old road.

The new road is nice and seems to point to a red dominant direction rather than the W-dominant direction we had heard about. I don't see how the navy road cap stays as-is with that road. The touch of gold on the DC patch looks out of place now with the new script that lacks gold. I don't think a gold outline in the mold of the WS champs jerseys would have been so bad. There's a lot of red and blue out there.

The red alt is fine, and I guess is the best evidence of the DC being put into secondary status. But there it is again on the sleeve. Not sure that that many "cap" logos -- duplicated and otherwise -- in one uni work for me. The gold is less obvious but still out of place.

I agree that the flag DC is easier to read at a large scale, thankfully. But the two flag DCs together will be overkill. I like the use of the main logo on the sleeve and the piping. I think this jersey would work better with the current road cap. Guess I'll have to wait to see them on.

I guess the question now is how long the existing home lasts, since it seems to be the odd uni out if you figure the navy alt makes 3-4 appearances a year. I, for one, hope they keep it.

Road - It'd be better if they were more blue oriented that was stated before. Also, it looks like the DC sleeve logo has gold in it still which doesn't really fit the rest of the colors.

Alternate - Eh, it's ok. Not a big fan of all red jerseys as it is. I actually didn't mind their old alternate.

2nd alternate - too much going on here. It's gross and I hope they only wear it once or twice. Not to mention the hat is disgusting.

123xa2.png

New Nationals' unis are up:

NEW REGULAR ROAD:

pMLB2-5427981dt.jpg

NEW MORE COMMON ALTERNATE:

NEW OTHER ALTERNATE (Used for July 4, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Flag Day, etc.):

Thoughts?

Road: Not bad, but the Navy cap now needs to be dropped.

Red Alt: Screwing with something that didn't need to be screwed with

Navy Alt: Not bad, keep this one.

Maybe they could get away by adding a red brim to the navy cap, but I think the best solution would be to add a second red cap - with a navy curly-W (and possibly a navy brim.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just back from the unveiling event. Epic fail. The Nationals are now, officially, and without even the possibility of debate, the worst-uniformed team in major-league baseball.

Road: Excellent script. I'm a big believer in the gold-bevelled block script, but I'm sold. This should be the basis of the team's entire identity. But it is not, and so we have the absolute mess of the beautiful road script, with too-thick Dallas numbers on the front with no gold bevels, a gold-bevelled DC logo on the sleeve that no longer matches any other element of the uniform, and gold-bevelled red numbers on the back that make this look like a Nats home uniform washed in the dark cycle by accident. Throw it all under a blue (?!) cap, and this is an absolute, unmitigated craptastrophe.

Red alt: The W on the chest is a nice nod to local baseball tradition (though it was always a block W in the past), and the thick white piping looks sharp. Except, you know, the Nats roster already makes them look like the Reds; did they really need to adopt an actual Reds uniform? Still, this is the first red Nats jersey I can consider buying and wearing. As long as it's paired with the red W cap. Then again, this suffers from the same problems as the road, in that it has incongruous gold bevels on the sleeve logo and the rear number. (Whit number, gold bevel, blue outline.) Another really good idea, completely ruined with Bowdenesque execution.

Blue alt: This is an absolute mess from top to bottom, but I can appreciate the spirit the team is trying to display. So I give a pass to this piece of otherwise unredeemable crap, except to point out that it is in every way completely unrelated to the rest of the team's uniforms and identity.

And that last sentence is the problem. The Nationals no longer have anything resembling a "uniform." They now have four essentially unrelated outfits that bear little relationship with one another, and in all but one case are made up of elements that don't even relate from one side of the uniform to the other. Sleeve patches don't match scripts, scripts don't match numbers, numbers don't even match other numbers on the same uniforms, colors are mixed together essentially at random (and yes, the blue alts are a different blue as the rest of the Nats uniforms).

Also, the microphones didn't work, only one player showed up, the uniforms were literally still being stitched together at the scheduled start time, they didn't have anybody to model the new alt cap, and the ESPN Zone hostess was a jerk. All in all, the whole event was a perfect snapshot of why the Nationals are the worst franchise in big-league ball. They will now look the part.

20082614447.png

Just back from the unveiling event. Epic fail. The Nationals are now, officially, and without even the possibility of debate, the worst-uniformed team in major-league baseball.

Road: Excellent script. I'm a big believer in the gold-bevelled block script, but I'm sold. This should be the basis of the team's entire identity. But it is not, and so we have the absolute mess of the beautiful road script, with too-thick Dallas numbers on the front with no gold bevels, a gold-bevelled DC logo on the sleeve that no longer matches any other element of the uniform, and gold-bevelled red numbers on the back that make this look like a Nats home uniform washed in the dark cycle by accident. Throw it all under a blue (?!) cap, and this is an absolute, unmitigated craptastrophe.

Red alt: The W on the chest is a nice nod to local baseball tradition (though it was always a block W in the past), and the thick white piping looks sharp. Except, you know, the Nats roster already makes them look like the Reds; did they really need to adopt an actual Reds uniform? Still, this is the first red Nats jersey I can consider buying and wearing. As long as it's paired with the red W cap. Then again, this suffers from the same problems as the road, in that it has incongruous gold bevels on the sleeve logo and the rear number. (Whit number, gold bevel, blue outline.) Another really good idea, completely ruined with Bowdenesque execution.

Blue alt: This is an absolute mess from top to bottom, but I can appreciate the spirit the team is trying to display. So I give a pass to this piece of otherwise unredeemable crap, except to point out that it is in every way completely unrelated to the rest of the team's uniforms and identity.

And that last sentence is the problem. The Nationals no longer have anything resembling a "uniform." They now have four essentially unrelated outfits that bear little relationship with one another, and in all but one case are made up of elements that don't even relate from one side of the uniform to the other. Sleeve patches don't match scripts, scripts don't match numbers, numbers don't even match other numbers on the same uniforms, colors are mixed together essentially at random (and yes, the blue alts are a different blue as the rest of the Nats uniforms).

Also, the microphones didn't work, only one player showed up, the uniforms were literally still being stitched together at the scheduled start time, they didn't have anybody to model the new alt cap, and the ESPN Zone hostess was a jerk. All in all, the whole event was a perfect snapshot of why the Nationals are the worst franchise in big-league ball. They will now look the part.

In other words, they're now the Toronto Blue Jays of the National League.

Exactly. And it seems like they ended up with the same type of problems as what brought on this need to "fix" in the first place, probably worse. To me, the red home vs. blue road and pretzel W cap vs. beveled block jersey were "better" inconsistencies than what they have created here. It at least seemed "uniform."

Nationals! What a mess! The name is a mess, the logos, the unis!

I guess you could change it to USA and it could make sense, but they are a local baseball team, not the national team in the olympics! Boring design!

I guess they need to make their minds about the DC interlocked logo or the Wallgreens W. Using both at the same time is what makes it even more odd.

In other words, they're now the Toronto Blue Jays of the National League.

No. The Nats are now the team that makes the Blue Jays look good. Compare any individual uniform between the Nats and the Jays, and it's possible that the Jays uniform might be marginally worse. But the Nats offer four completely different rounds of ugly, overwhelming even Toronto's previously record-setting uni awfulness. The Nats took a couple of really good ideas and ruined them with terrible execution.

Also typical of the Nats organization: On the team homepage, the headline reads, "Nationals unveil their new baseball uniforms."

New baseball uniforms? Really? Glad they cleared up what sport they play. Team can't even write a halfway decent headline for a press release.

20082614447.png

BallWonk, seriously, tell us how you really feel. Quit sugar-coating....

As for the designs...the Stars-and-Stripes' cap is an F- at best. The road uni wordmark is nice, but as everyone has stated, doesn't match anything else but the Walgreens W.

So much potential yet such a failure.

Cards.png

As always, BallWonk provides excellent criticism and I agree with pretty much everything he said.

I'm wishy-washy on the new road. It's awesome that the curly-W finally has something to play nicely with, but now that I see it I think the old "monument" script is better. Coupled with the red heaviness of the jersey with what will presumably coupled with the blue road hat and this isn't gonna look good at all. I think the block-DC patch that within the circle would temper the contrast between the script and beveling that BallWonk mentioned.

The red alt looks good and I think is an improvement over the old red.

The blue flag alt looks good and even with the flag hat I think will be tolerable for the few times that they will wear it.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I forgot to offer a letter grade. My opinion is likely to change marginally when I see the jerseys with caps on the field of play. But for now, I'm calling this a change that takes a couple of A-plus elements and turns them into an unforgivable F-minus uniform set. I kid around about having low expectations of Nats management, but ye gods, considered as a total package, this is a stunningly, breathtakingly bad uniform redesign. Biggest difference between the quality of the underlying design ideas and the final product that I've ever seen in a baseball uni redesign.

Now, if the road uni actually works with the blue cap, or if they ditch the blue cap, or if the Reds miraculously drop their own red alt jersey in favor of something completely different, then I could reconsider upwards into D territory. Otherwise, this is an F.

(Yet it's an F that nonetheless has me coveting two of the jerseys. The new road and the new red alt are going on my Christmas list.)

20082614447.png

Tell me that's not the actual numeral font on the front of the road grays.

That's no change from the red numeral font that's been used on the homes since '05.

What strikes me is how much the new:

capt.7ab0c2c52cde4113b818b1d400212ac1.washington_nationals_uniforms_dcsa104.jpg

harkens back to the old:

35.jpg

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Archived