MLB 2009

mania

What's the latest news regarding the Orioles' new jerseys being released on Wednesday?

There is a rally scheduled for 12:00 on Wednesday at the Gallery at Harborplace at which time the uniforms will be unveiled. The team website says only that a "major announcement" will be made, however it is pretty well understood that that means the new uniforms will be unveiled then.

I can't wait to see the "Baltimore" script! If you ask me, every team should have its locale name on the road unis (wish my Brewers would put "Milwaukee" back on the duds too)

bYhYmxh.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd love to hear from Colorwerx on this, but this is what the sources I cultivated in 2004 and 2005 in the commish's office and the city staff told me (most of these are one- or two-source assertions, making them questionable at best):

1. Selig wanted the team to be named Senators. Like, really really really wanted it.

2. Mayor Williams made it absolutely clear that the Senators name was a dealbreaker, so Selig opted for the fallback Nationals name. At the time, Selig very much hoped that the new owners, when chosen, would change the name to Senators, and went out of his way to communicate that the new ownership would be given a window in which to rename the team if they so chose.

3. Radom did design a complete identity package matching the gold-beveled jersey script, complete with a beautiful slightly serifed block W on the cap.

That would explain the (really beautiful) cap we've seen.

washingtonnationalswcapsd5.jpg

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

What's the latest news regarding the Orioles' new jerseys being released on Wednesday?

There is a rally scheduled for 12:00 on Wednesday at the Gallery at Harborplace at which time the uniforms will be unveiled. The team website says only that a "major announcement" will be made, however it is pretty well understood that that means the new uniforms will be unveiled then.

Thanks for the info. Other than adding "Baltimore" on their road jerseys, I also heard some rumors that they are changing the bird on their hat to possibly the cartoon bird or a fiercer looking bird and adding a Maryland patch to their home jerseys. Can anybody confirm this or heard something different?

I'd love to hear from Colorwerx on this, but this is what the sources I cultivated in 2004 and 2005 in the commish's office and the city staff told me (most of these are one- or two-source assertions, making them questionable at best):

1. Selig wanted the team to be named Senators. Like, really really really wanted it.

2. Mayor Williams made it absolutely clear that the Senators name was a dealbreaker, so Selig opted for the fallback Nationals name. At the time, Selig very much hoped that the new owners, when chosen, would change the name to Senators, and went out of his way to communicate that the new ownership would be given a window in which to rename the team if they so chose.

3. Radom did design a complete identity package matching the gold-beveled jersey script, complete with a beautiful slightly serifed block W on the cap.

Yep, that's the one.

I didn't have the image anymore, but knew that somebody would be able to provide it. :D

Makes sense, given what Wonk posted. Darn shame that they didn't go with it. Maybe Todd will be able to confirm Wonk's account, or at least that detail of it?

Thanks for the info. Other than adding "Baltimore" on their road jerseys, I also heard some rumors that they are changing the bird on their hat to possibly the cartoon bird or a fiercer looking bird and adding a Maryland patch to their home jerseys. Can anybody confirm this or heard something different?

We discussed that earlier in this thread. Apparently they slightly updated the logo on the cap. I think I found a link to it at new era:

New Era: Orioles Hat

Just a slight update, but I guess you could say it is a little fiercer than before.

The bird seems to have lost a little weight.

As for the other changes, I believe someone reported earlier that the patch will be on all of the jerseys.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Comparing old to new:

New:

3019768661_1fea55e38c_o.jpg

Old:

pMLB2-3536832dt.jpg

Looks like small changes, but big improvement. It's still way too busy, but at least it doesn't look like a dove anymore.

And that'll be three logos with barely noticeable changes between them in a row.

So the orange billed cap is gonna be the home AND road? Why have 2 hats, both black with orange bills (the other being the O's alt.) and not one all black, as has been worn for nearly 20 years?

I prefer the feet on the old cap. The new bird looks like it is jumping up in the air or grasping an invisible branch.

oldjt9.jpgnewgh3.jpg

If that's the change, I'm down with it. It looks like an oriole again and not a pigeon. Plus, it looks like yellow is out of the bird (which never should have been there anyway.)

The new bird is slightly smaller, less detailed, and in a more balanced position, not perched on a flat surface with it's head and chest up in the air, forcing the tail to be lower, giving it an awkward layout on the cap. The new one definately fits and looks better on the cap.

I love how my picture still shows up more than two years after I took it (April 13, 2006). And yes, it would look so much better with the beveled W.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

I love how my picture still shows up more than two years after I took it (April 13, 2006). And yes, it would look so much better with the beveled W.

Looks kinda like the original Washington Senators (whose official name was the Nationals)...you know with the Walter "Big Train" Johnson and them? That team won DC's only World Series title.

THAT would be a look to be proud of.

bYhYmxh.png

As long as there are Washington baseball fans, your picture will continue to show up. That right there is easily one of the ten greatest baseball caps of all time, and certainly the best Washington cap we'll ever see. Just a real shame it never made it past the prototype stage. Seriously, that photo is destined to outlive us all.

20082614447.png

Isn't there another Orioles cap to come or is it just this and the existing O's alt now?

This seems to be a minor upgrade, but I can't believe it takes them years to make such minor tweaks to this bird. I almost like the dotted eye one the best but I realize now I must have no idea what a real oriole should look like.

Removal of yellow makes sense unless they had added it elsewhere to be the only orange-black-yellow team. Looks like they are happy being the only orange-billed team.

I can't decide if I like the beveled W cap without seeing the rest of the uniform.

You've seen the rest of the uniform - this was supposed to accompany the Nationals' monument-inspired look.

The reason that the curly pretzel cap logo was singularly out of place on a remarkably-uniform uniform? Because this was supposed to be the cap.

Archived