MLB 2009

mania

The Indians could wear a blue hat with the red jersey script because the rest of the uniform was blue (piping, belt, socks). It looks like the Nats will be using red for the belt and socks, which makes the blue cap seem out of place.

Exactly. Can't see the socks, but I presume that they're keeping the red ones.

If the uniform had more red in it, belt and socks, the navy cap could work. As it is, it's out of place amongst all the red.

The Nats continue to have the most over-designed yet internally clashing uniform in baseball.

Well, they could wear navy socks on the road. The Indians wore red socks, shoes, belts, and undershirts at home (with the red brimmed cap), but on the road it was all navy. God, I miss those jerseys. Didn't the Nats wear navy socks on the road previously?

Actually, looking at pics, the Nats wear a black or navy belt at home. Unless they have changed it, there is no reason to believe they will wear a red belt either home or road.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, we all know the Nats got their new uniforms and the Orioles are scheduled to unveil their new road and home uniforms next Wednesday and the Texas Rangers are supposed to get a whole new set, as well. Any other teams making any changes or additions of alternate jerseys , or that information cannot be posted at this time? I'm anxious to know!!

I think the Nats home jersey's would look a lot better if they wore white with navy pinstripes with "Nationals" written in cursive style lettering across the chest in Navy with red outlining, just like the Expos used to wear their home.

UGH! Please, no more pinstripes!!!!

I'm getting sick of the over use of pin stripes in baseball. I hope they don't go down that route.

Here's my theory on the Washington hodgepodge, and maybe someone like the Artist Formerly Known as Pantone can add some insight. I'm willing to bet that Todd Radom was approached to design a from-scratch identity package for the team when they were first planning the move, and he designed it with the full intent of the "DC" logo being the primary cap logo. I have a feeling that the W logo was forced upon him after the package was finished, probably by the DC mayor and city council. With the ownership change, it's clear that the W logo is the emphasis, since heck, even the ironwork of the trashcans at the new park features the W. The problem is that ownership doesn't want to commit to a total identity change, hence why nothing matches at all.

VmWIn6B.png

Like so many others already, I LOVE the new road jerseys and agree that they REALLY need to top it with a red cap. The blue cap is going to look out of place, just as it does on the Cardinals.

Are you serious? The Cardinals set is gorgeous, and the blue cap works incredibly well with the roads. And this is coming from a Cubs fan, too.

330zl3b.png

i love the Nats new road but it would be so much better if they had a script Nationals home jersey to go with it. break out the red Curly W alt on sundays, and the American Flag DC on Memorial Day, 4th of July, 9/11, etc, etc. the curly W is a much better looking logo imo than the DC logo, so the uniform should be based around it. this incomplete new uniform unveiling was very disappointing since it didnt include a new home.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Like so many others already, I LOVE the new road jerseys and agree that they REALLY need to top it with a red cap. The blue cap is going to look out of place, just as it does on the Cardinals.

Are you serious? The Cardinals set is gorgeous, and the blue cap works incredibly well with the roads. And this is coming from a Cubs fan, too.

I totally disagree. From the moment they unveiled it ('90 or '91, right?) it looked like it was just slapped on there. I think people are just so used to them that they accept them, but they totally don't go with the uniform. Don't get me wrong - it's a beautiful cap, just not for that uniform. If they have to have two caps, they should wear a red cap with navy STL on the road (just like my suggestion that the Senators adopt a red cap with a navy W to go with these new uniforms.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

hey I post here once in a blue moon...this Nationals road jersey is one of the most non-cohesive "designs" if you can call it that I can remember. Its a bunch of elements that don't go together, which seems to be the overall theme they are going for with their uniform identity and team. The road script looks absolutely scrawny on Milledge who is not a huge guy. How's it gonna look on a 6'4" 250 lb'er wearing a size 54-56? You can barely see the blue outline - proof that its harder than it looks to reverse engineer a wordmark around a cap logo that's a distorted version of a nearly 50 year old cap logo that wasn't that great in the first place. The front numbers are way too big in proportion. The "bevel" font without the bevel is a joke. Four color numbers on back? Please. Gold on the enormous sleeve logo and back numbers but nowhere else looks ridiculous. If I saw this uniform on eBay, I'd think it was a badly attributed homemade fake. I'm not even gonna waste my time on the stars and stripes atrocity.

I wonder what they would look like if the gold was just a drop shadow (on the script and the DC) instead of beveling (kinda sorta like the Brewers do it.) The DC looks horrible being that it has both gold and beveling, while the script has neither. The script would look terrible with beveling (can you even bevel a script?) I like the gold in their identity - it separates them from the Phillies and Angels. I think there has to be a better way to integrate the gold in this set.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Actually, I don't think it works for the Cardinals either, and seeing the red caps return for spring training always reinforces that for me. But kudos for finding another example. Guess it's not so rare. Still a red cap logo in that case, though.
I agree. I wish the Cards would eliminate the navy caps. In fact, this is exactly what the Cards should look like on the road.

:D

Cardsroadred.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm willing to bet that Todd Radom was approached to design a from-scratch identity package for the team when they were first planning the move, and he designed it with the full intent of the "DC" logo being the primary cap logo. I have a feeling that the W logo was forced upon him after the package was finished, probably by the DC mayor and city council. ... The problem is that ownership doesn't want to commit to a total identity change, hence why nothing matches at all.

I'd love to hear from Colorwerx on this, but this is what the sources I cultivated in 2004 and 2005 in the commish's office and the city staff told me (most of these are one- or two-source assertions, making them questionable at best):

1. Selig wanted the team to be named Senators. Like, really really really wanted it.

2. Mayor Williams made it absolutely clear that the Senators name was a dealbreaker, so Selig opted for the fallback Nationals name. At the time, Selig very much hoped that the new owners, when chosen, would change the name to Senators, and went out of his way to communicate that the new ownership would be given a window in which to rename the team if they so chose.

3. Radom did design a complete identity package matching the gold-beveled jersey script, complete with a beautiful slightly serifed block W on the cap.

4. Selig, having been denied the Senators name, latched onto the curly W and insisted that it be the cap logo. His opinion was reinforced by the degree to which DC officials used half-assed reproductions of the '71 red cap with white curly W as fan caps. So Radom's W designs were axed, and the curly W substituted, with no further work done to integrate the changed cap logo.*

5. The Lerners and team president Stan Kasten strongly prefer the W logo and have indicated in off-record conversations that they intend to eliminate the DC entirely in favor of the W. I have been told of conversations along these lines with both Kasten and Mark Lerner from two different sources. However, the Nats lost their chief marketing officer to resignation in early autumn, and the Lerners (both Mark and Ted) are said to be ridiculous micromanagers who keep their fingers in basically every front-office activity, down to and including personal review of office-supply purchases. Anyway, point is, the new uniform project was most likely finished without a VP-level marketing voice, with no institutional discipline, with no decisionmaking input at all from anyone with baseball experience, and under the personal supervision of at least two Lerners.

*Given how poorly rendered the official curly W is, I have assumed that Radom did little to no work on it, or only the most cursory file-conversion from archival logo sheets to digital media. But that's pure speculation, based on the remarkable technical badness of the curly W logo compared to the general technical excellence of Radom's work.

20082614447.png

Archived