MLB 2009

mania

I hope the Devil Rays add an alternate with the Devil Ray patch on the arm on the jersey. That would look good.

And I'm a fan of red in the Pirates, and I love the red jerseys from this past season so I hope those stick around.

From what I have heard the RAYS will have an alternate jersey next season, no word on design yet. Also, if you don't know already, the Ray is on the sleeve currently:

evan.jpg

I have heard that it will be a regular version of the bp jersey.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope the Devil Rays add an alternate with the Devil Ray patch on the arm on the jersey. That would look good.

And I'm a fan of red in the Pirates, and I love the red jerseys from this past season so I hope those stick around.

From what I have heard the RAYS will have an alternate jersey next season, no word on design yet. Also, if you don't know already, the Ray is on the sleeve currently:

evan.jpg

I don't know, but I think he might've meant that he'd like to see the ray itself on the front of the jersey, which, although I love that logo, would not work by itself on a jersey front. Assuming that's what he meant.

And I hope their alt is navy with light blue piping and "Rays" in white with the light blue drop shadow. Basically like it is on their jersey, only reverse the navy (letters) and white (intial trim between the letters and the drop shadow). They don't need the navy letters on the navy jersey like their BP's.

So, the Rays have a sunburst on their front, a devil ray on their sleeve, and stingrays in a tank beyond their outfield?

Lol, I thought the same thing. I'm very confused.

An article I read still refered to the arm patch as being a Devil Ray, and not a Ray since the name Rays now refers to sun and not animals.

2ly2w09.jpg

So, the Rays have a sunburst on their front, a devil ray on their sleeve, and stingrays in a tank beyond their outfield?

Lol, I thought the same thing. I'm very confused.

An article I read still refered to the arm patch as being a Devil Ray, and not a Ray since the name Rays now refers to sun and not animals.

Oh Rly???

Guess I should of figured that out with the added sun on the script. I'm not crazy about names that have two completely different meanings. The Devil Ray doesn't serve any purpose on the sleeve anymore.

Not really a change, but I'd assume that either the Devil Sun Rays or the Phillies will wear the gold-trimmed jersey on opening day next season.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A sting ray touch tank? :D

It's probably just a Ray touch tank, I've been to one, they feel all smooth.

I heard them referred to as "cownose rays" during game one. So yeah, no chance of pulling a Steve Irwin there.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Guess I should of figured that out with the added sun on the script. I'm not crazy about names that have two completely different meanings. The Devil Ray doesn't serve any purpose on the sleeve anymore.

I used to agree. But the more I think about it, the more I like it. They've got that big tank of rays in the outfield after all, so the patch strikes me as being more in line with, say, the Phillies wearing a Liberty Bell patch. It's almost like a mascot, or a ballpark logo, than like a continuing reference to the old name.

I'm not saying it's the best possible patch for the Rays to wear, but I no longer think it's completely wrong.

What is completely wrong is that the crown, bill, and button of their caps are navy blue. The button, at least, should be yellow. (And they probably ought to have a light blue bill, even if only on a home or road cap.)

20082614447.png

Correct me if I'm off-base here, but isn't that "sunburst" actually supposed to be a "glint" of sunlight reflecting off of the water?

I've always looked at the Rays' new identity as a dual-purpose one - a ray of sunshine, and a ray (manta, sting, or otherwise). Both water-based.

Here's another lesser-known fact about the Rays:

The "TB" monogram on their caps was designed by Tom O'Grady's group - Gameplan Creative.

I know Tom has a bad rep on this board (I really can't defend his behavior here either), but he IS a friend of mine. He and I were talking on the phone one day and he mentioned that when the Rays unveiled their identity is when they discovered that the Rays had decided to use a throwaway, discarded monogram that Gameplan had designed.

They had NO idea that it was even being considered. They had designed a bunch of monograms - a lot of the interlocking "TB" variety - and threw in the one that was eventually chosen as an afterthought.

Some other group designed the rest of the identity...can't remember now who it was.

Correct me if I'm off-base here, but isn't that "sunburst" actually supposed to be a "glint" of sunlight reflecting off of the water?

I've always looked at the Rays' new identity as a dual-purpose one - a ray of sunshine, and a ray (manta, sting, or otherwise). Both water-based.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way, it serves a dual purpose. Believe me, if the Rays could have actual devil rays in a tank, it would have to be much larger than a touch tank, as devil rays are much larger and would need a habitat to accommodate something larger.

I still think they missed a golden opportunity to creative an identity with a color scheme that would have been unique to MLB: Navy (or deep cobalt as I've heard it called) Light Blue, and Yellow.

Instead they opted for an overly bland, overly common treatment.

Too bad, because the potential was there.

I still think they missed a golden opportunity to creative an identity with a color scheme that would have been unique to MLB: Navy (or deep cobalt as I've heard it called) Light Blue, and Yellow.

You've heard it called "Deep Cobalt" because I'VE called it that (!).

:P

(Look at my member title under my avatar.)

That's just the PANTONE Textile color description for the fabric they use - PANTONE 19-3935 TCX. I doubt if the team (or MLB for that matter) even knows it's called "Deep Cobalt".

Instead they opted for an overly bland, overly common treatment.

Too bad, because the potential was there.

That's how I felt at first. Now, it's really grown on me, the simplicity and classy feel of the set. I really like it as is. I would like to see Tampa Bay on the aways and a navy alt with light blue piping, but that's about it.

Mascots in prominent locations on uniforms (caps, jersey chests, etc) are bush league. Stick to the monogram.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You've heard it called "Deep Cobalt" because I'VE called it that (!).

:P

(Look at my member title under my avatar.)

That's just the PANTONE Textile color description for the fabric they use - PANTONE 19-3935 TCX. I doubt if the team (or MLB for that matter) even knows it's called "Deep Cobalt".

HA!

I didn't even realize that!!!!

I'm not sure where I heard about that...maybe it was on this site. I remember someone refering to it as "Deep Cobalt" instead of Navy during a post or article or something. Too funny!

Don't worry, I'll remember to credit you as the originator :)

Archived