Discussion Topic: Should the World Series be played in a neutral site?

TBGKon

Just to create some banter, discuss the following:

With the way things are going with the current World Series, should the series be played in a neutral site? I am neutral on the subject, but wanted to see what the CCSLC world thinks.

Discuss.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why change what has worked for over a 100 years?

This is a once in a lifetime occurance that has happened here. What are the chances that MLB would suspend another World Series game in our lifetime, hm?

No, they shouldn't change a thing except the process for home-field advantage at the All-Star game. Personally, and I know that it doesn't have an effect on the Rays-Phils series, but it would be nice if the team with the better record hosts Game 1 or go back to the alternating AL/NL format in previous seasons.

No, they shouldn't change a thing except the process for home-field advantage at the All-Star game. Personally, and I know that it doesn't have an effect on the Rays-Phils series, but it would be nice if the team with the better record hosts Game 1 or go back to the alternating AL/NL format in previous seasons.

I'd rather go back to the alternating AL/NL format because it was fair to both leagues.

This is a once in a lifetime occurance that has happened here. What are the chances that MLB would suspend another World Series game in our lifetime, hm?

Pretty good when you factor in how late in the fall the World Series is now, and the fact that Northern teams tend to do well.

Even without the precipitation, though, baseball really shouldn't be played in 30-40 degree weather. I personally recommend schedule adjustments before doing something as drastic as a neutral site, however.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

go back to the alternating AL/NL format in previous seasons.

Alternating AL/NL is much sillier than the current format -- pitting the best players from each league against each other is a great way to do it IMO

Yes and it makes the game really mean something unlike the ASGs in other sports.

The World Series should NOT be played in a neutral site. The atmosphere of having the home crowd is amazing, even if you are just watching on TV. For those of you who support this because of the weather, deal with it!!! Weather is a part of the game and it will always be here no matter where the game is played (unless it's a crappy-ass dome). The good teams know how to win in the bad weather, so there is no truer test than playing in a downpour.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Pretty good when you factor in how late in the fall the World Series is now, and the fact that Northern teams tend to do well.

Even without the precipitation, though, baseball really shouldn't be played in 30-40 degree weather. I personally recommend schedule adjustments before doing something as drastic as a neutral site, however.

I was thinking the same thing today. Start the season in mid March with the southern, western and dome teams hosting a bulk of the games until April. Sure it isn't a perfect way to go but would be the easiest to implement.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Alternating AL/NL is much sillier than the current format -- pitting the best players from each league against each other is a great way to do it IMO

Agreed.

Plus, as others have noted, it's nice to have one All-Star Game that isn't completely pointless.

No, nothing of neutral stuff! Let Swiss people be neutral but don't neutralize baseball. :D

How could someone put in a neutral mood the local passion? Man, we are talking about the WORLD SERIES... it's such a big thing with a great history back.

I love the World Series and the Libertadores cup (South American anual soccer final) because both rivals could play it in a basis home-road with all the color of their partisans.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Agreed.

Plus, as others have noted, it's nice to have one All-Star Game that isn't completely pointless.

If it's so important, how about we start seeing all-star teams use their pitching staffs intelligently as opposed to one pitcher every 1 or 2 innings? How about we also abandon fan voting, so we might actually get the best players starting?

/give it to the team with the best record.

And this is baseball, not football. If weather is part of the game, why do we stop it every time it starts raining?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

they should do what they did until 1969 playoffs, have the best team in each league be in the world series. if this was case, it would have been a cubs, angles world series and have it like they use to do before 2003 and have it be an alternating AL/NL home field advantage.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Having managers from the previous AL/NL teams in the World Series along with top coaches from teams with the best records, provided that they aren't the same World Series teams, MISMANAGE All-Star Games in order to determine which League has rights to home-field advantage in the World Series is completely absurd. Expand the rosters, increase the amount of pitchers in the bullpen, etc. in order to make the All-Star Game far more competitive than it actually is and actually worth watching.

Whitey Herzog had the idea of holding The World Series ta a neutral site back in the 80's. He believed that it would have been bigger than The Super Bowl. I am of two minds on it. I think it would be cool to hold it at a neutral site. It could be a huge deal for baseball. The down side is that hometown fans would get screwed in the process. I like the current format (with the exception of this ridiculous all-star game deciding home field) but the weather is going to continue to be a factor if they keep playing this late into October. If the '09 series goes 7 it will end on November 5th. That's just stupid.

I like the idea of starting the season in the warm weather places. They did that in '87 (I think) and there was not a single rain out until sometime in July that year. I also think they should make the LCS dates flexible. If both series in the LCS only go 4 or 5 games then start the Series as soon as possible.

TV has way too much say in all of this. In fact, I am appearing on a sports show at my TV station tomorrow to talk about these very subjects.

BB52Big.jpg

World Series at a neutral site is an awful idea. The Super Bowl is just one game its fine, but you cant ask a group of fans get together for a seven game series in a neutral city.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

World Series at a neutral site is an awful idea. The Super Bowl is just one game its fine, but you cant ask a group of fans get together for a seven game series in a neutral city.

It happens every March in Basketball. That seems to work out OK. Just saying...

BB52Big.jpg

They should find a way to condense the playoffs. One, so we aren't stuck with the crappy weather like this year. But also so teams don't half to sit around for so long. It wasn't right that the Phillies had to wait around 7 days until the World Series. Also I think I read that the Rockies only played 7 games in 22 days during last year's playoffs. The Phillies were able to overcome it, but its a huge disadvantage for most teams, and kind of a punishment for dominanting your opponent.

Also I think they should stop the All Star game home field advantage, and just give it to the team with the best record. The ASG is an exhibition and personally I'd had rather seen a tie than what happened this year. A contender could lose a key player because of an injury because the game HAD to have a result.

But to answer the orginal question, I really hope they don't have nuetral sites. I like the fact that you can watch your team play for the championship in your own hometown. I'd like to know that the next time the Orioles are in the WS (whenever that may be) I can see it in Camden Yards, and not have to fly out to California.

It happens every March in Basketball. That seems to work out OK. Just saying...

Well those are practice games, and have zero intensity.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived