Verlander Design

connriv

So, it turns out a co-worker of mine is related to the person who did the Texans design and the Falcons, Bengals and Cardinals re-designs:

http://www.verlanderdesign.com/sports.html

She says this kind of work isn't very lucrative. which is strange, considering all the money the NFL has. I wonder if the NFL considers a design/redesign a prestige job that doesn't have to pay well?

Any thoughts?

I like things about his NFL shield, but if he's going to simplify the stars to represent league divisions, why choose nine stars?

"I like things about his NFL shield" perfectly describes my own response. I also don't like some things about it, but I definitely do like some things ...

Anyway, the stars: I immediately saw it as one star for each division, arranged in two groups of four for each conference, with another star at the top for the whole league. I don't know if that was the intent, but that's how it reads to me on first glance.

Which makes sense, just like how the U.S. flag has one star for each state, plus one for the federal government.*

*Not actually true.

20082614447.png

I like things about his NFL shield, but if he's going to simplify the stars to represent league divisions, why choose nine stars?

"I like things about his NFL shield" perfectly describes my own response. I also don't like some things about it, but I definitely do like some things ...

Anyway, the stars: I immediately saw it as one star for each division, arranged in two groups of four for each conference, with another star at the top for the whole league. I don't know if that was the intent, but that's how it reads to me on first glance.

Which makes sense, just like how the U.S. flag has one star for each state, plus one for the federal government.*

*Not actually true.

As far as I'm concerned, it has 49 stars representing states, and one star representing the federal govenment. I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I fly a flag that recognizes Missoura.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That Verlander shield beats the living Bejesus out of the current one! That is everything the redesign needed to be-it keeps the flourish on the L, the type still follows the bottom of the shield, the stars are simplified.... man that thing woulda been perfect. Now I hate the current updated shield even more.

*Not actually true.

As far as I'm concerned, it has 49 stars representing states, and one star representing the federal govenment. I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I fly a flag that recognizes Missoura.

What'd we ever do to you? (And it's Missour-i, sounds with a long e. I'm sick of hearing it with an "-uh" at the end)

*Not actually true.

What'd we ever do to you? (And it's Missour-i, sounds with a long e. I'm sick of hearing it with an "-uh" at the end)

You obviously don't watch The Simpsons.

What fiasco said.

But, thank you. There are two pronunciations I accept: Miss-our-ee, or Mis-er-y. :D

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Did this up for those (like me) who like to compare things:

shields.png

IMO the league clearly picked the best one. There are a lot of cool features about the Verlander one, but with all it's curves and effects on the fonts, it just doesn't look NFL caliber to me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Did this up for those (like me) who like to compare things:

shields.png

IMO the league clearly picked the best one. There are a lot of cool features about the Verlander one, but with all it's curves and effects on the fonts, it just doesn't look NFL caliber to me.

True enough.

The "legacy L" looks silly with the other letters in the Verlander logo. The serif on the N intrudes too much on the white space to work for me.

And I'm not a fan of the curves. Doesn't really work, especially when they cut the points off the white outline.

The Verlander proposal ain't doing it for me at all. I don't like the NFL's new typeface, but it certainly works better than the mishmash in the proposal. This dude is truly talented though. The Texans identity is one of the best in sports history, and his custom scripts are stellar, if not absolutely outstanding.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The type treatment is almost too soft. Possibly from the abrupt endings and cut-offs, as well as the slight arch in the logo, making it look a bit fluffy. It's not a bad logo, it just lacks the that certain something that would put it over the edge to greatness.

I get a "UPS" logo vibe with the Verlander one.

Archived